• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Test: I'm having a slight issue that requires expertise ...

North_Sky

Major Contributor
It started roughly 5-6 months ago and only on my Android tablet (Samsung).
It's doing it constantly now. Here what it looks like ...

20201003_142452.jpg
20201003_142556.jpg
20201003_151326.jpg
20201003_151418.jpg

Here we go; open to the experts now. And good luck to me ...
I already anticipated all the questions and the humor, so you'd better come up with something . . . "wise". :)

20201004_190716.jpg
Screenshot_20201004-180057.jpg

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Any idea anyone?

It's happening everywhere, any site, any news, any articles, ... but only with my tablet.
And using Google Chrome.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The tablet is dying.

Most likely the graphics driver IC. Back in the day it was usually video ram that would cause issues like that. It's the part that is run the hardest and the hottest in a tablet.

Time for a new one.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Oh, but it's only two years old. It doesn't have a single scratch, I never dropped it.
I always maintain it; clear history and cache, device maintenance every week, reboot often, ...

About six months ago this started appearing ...

20201004_192943.jpg

I did some research online and found out it was simply best to ignore (Decline).
When I go to the tablet settings and latest update I do have the latest.

Do you know anything more and precise John about that Update software urgent note.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Do you know anything more and precise John about that Update software urgent note.

No, sorry.

Do a search and see if there are any similar issues with your model out there. It's quite possible the update was designed to address some issues which ultimately could be manifesting as the problems you have shown. Say, for instance the video processor was being run too hard/fast, was prone to overheating and fracturing its BGA connections with the PCB. They discovered this, and the update slowed (underclocked) the IC to prevent the problem. Not saying that is the case, but you never know.

Or yours could just be dying as they do.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I did search and didn't find much other than it's not common and can brick your device.
I thought of asking here because we are in a scientific forum with many engineers and brightest people on Earth, some, yes? Of course yes.

Getting a newer tablet, with a more powerful processor chip, after two years is an excellent option. That's the way our evolving world works, constantly updating with money constantly flowing out of our pockets and in the pockets of Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Japan, South Korea, Chinatown, farmers market ...

Too bad, I thought a tablet could last a little longer. It sure is not like a car, or my dog, or the kids, or the trees in my garden, or my friends, or my tape cassette deck, or my turntable, or my LPs, or ...

* Do they make tablets that last more than two years?
That wouldn't make any financial sense building tablets like that.
The companies would make only millions instead of billions...the CEOs have to eat too, and feed their non-working families on vacation in the castles around the world, with room service and suites on the luxuy jet planes...king size beds flying. ...With lots of CEOs and CO2 in the air.

Cell phones; how many in a lifetime do we need to be happiness updated?

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I'm going to write a letter to Samsung tablet's chief CEO in South Korea and ask him if he can accommodate me. Ask him to make tablets that last a bit longer, make Samsung South Korea great again.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Have you tried simply setting it back to factory defaults?

If I do that I lose all my files. I would need to transfer everything to another device.
John's suggestion is better, just buy another tablet.

The note I started getting about 6 months ago asking for an urgent update software, and coming back every day since then is probably meaningful.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You need to accept and install all updates from Samsung. They are serious security issues they have fixed. Without it your device is vulnerable to attacks. Bad guys watch these notices and then go after devices that don't have the fix. In other words, they know the formula now for getting into devices due to the fix itself!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If I do that I lose all my files. I would need to transfer everything to another device.

Surely there is a migration app for Samsung to move all your files to a new Samsung tablet?

Then do the firmware update. What you shown above is most likely a hardware failure and the new firmware likely will not help. Anyway, keep us informed with what happens. Cheers.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You'll be telling us we need to accept and install all Microsoft updates next... ;)
I will but boy are they screwing the pooch there. Latest Windows Update has caused my near new Workstation to blue screen from sleep every time. :(

The attack vector I talked about above is extremely popular for Windows. Hackers wait for a fix, reverse engineer what it is fixing and build an exploit using it. So you really have no choice but to upgrade.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My left monitor screen goes completely nuts upon wake-up intermittently.

Sometimes it cures itself after a few seconds.

Otherwise a power cycle fixes it.

Eleven years old now, lots of use, good as new except for that.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
You need to accept and install all updates from Samsung. They are serious security issues they have fixed. Without it your device is vulnerable to attacks. Bad guys watch these notices and then go after devices that don't have the fix. In other words, they know the formula now for getting into devices due to the fix itself!

It's for Galaxy Apps ... so I should click on Update?
I attached a picture of that note on post #4.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Related to my Samsung Galaxy Tablet model (no phone) ...

"Updating the software and/or installing a custom rom won't make it run faster. In all honesty it either/both would make the tablet run even slower.

Now it is a slightly older device, but it had good specs to start out, so while newer ones may get you faster for some things, if this one works well still, I don't see a reason to change. Unless, of course, you actually want a newer device.

It is more likely that the amount of stuff on the tablet, combined with anything that may be on it and not actually installed by you (sometimes apps install other things) can slow down the device. On top of this if the tablet isn't restarted (powered off and back on) regularly, this will also slow it down as the resources used by everything never really are recovered fully until the tablet is restarted.

I would start with clearing off anything you don't really use or need. Then for any apps you can't remove, but never use, try disabling them. Then scan the tablet for viruses, malware, bad apps, etc. (for the bad apps try searching in "Settings" and then "Apps" for anything installed that you didn't choose to install yourself, and didn't come on the phone). After all that is done, restart the tablet. It should work a lot better after this.

If it still isn't faster, or a lot faster, then you can either consider backing up all your stuff to a cloud account or a computer (files, photos, etc. just not apps) and then do a "Hard Reset" of the tablet to get it fully cleaned and ready to start over.

Or, as stated before, if you really want a new one, then you can just buy a new one."

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
It keeps getting worse ...

Screenshot_20201004-232005.jpg
Screenshot_20201004-232014.jpg
20201004_233511.jpg

And the note I got on top relating to Samsung Galaxy Apps ...
And when I click on it I got what it shows in post #4

20201004_233656.jpg

There is almost no info on the Internet about it.

This is no Update software for my tablet itself because when checking in the settings it searches for few seconds for any and it tells me that I have the latest already downloaded.

This one is for Galaxy Apps, Samsung Cloud.
And when you search for that it's confusing, and there is no precise info, and even few comments to not do it.

After six months of living with this issue that is getting very bad now, and without good info online, I decided to ask my friends right here.
I'm a little scared about this, that's why I want the right advice.

And who's the bad guys? What they want, money? Can they get a normal job like most people? Bunch of low-life losers. :D

Probably some kids from some screwed up generation ...
Older kids too.

I'm going to see if someone else might have the official solution, another 48 hours.
So far, ...
1. Buy another tablet (John's suggestion).
2. Click on Update and risk it all (Amir's suggestion).
3. Do nothing and keep enduring (I'm getting tired now, I'm ready to act).

Like I said it's only recently that it keeps getting worse.
Before that for several months I could handle it as it was periodically.

48 hours, just in case someone else reading this thread comes up with the exact same issue and the solution. I admit, Amir I think is right. And John is 100% not wrong in suggesting to buy a new tablet.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It keeps getting worse ...

View attachment 86171View attachment 86172View attachment 86173

And the note I got on top relating to Samsung Galaxy Apps ...
And when I click on it I got what it shows in post #4

View attachment 86178

There is almost no info on the Internet about it.

This is no Update software for my tablet itself because when checking in the settings it searches for few seconds for any and it tells me that I have the latest already downloaded.

This one is for Galaxy Apps, Samsung Cloud.
And when you search for that it's confusing, and there is no precise info, and even few comments to not do it.

After six months of living with this issue that is getting very bad now, and without good info online, I decided to ask my friends right here.
I'm a little scare about this, that's why I want the right advice.

And who's the bad guys? What they want, money? Can they get s normal job like most people? Bunch of low-life losers. :D

Probably some kids from some screwed up generation ...
Older kids too.

I'm going to see if someone else might have the official solution, another 48 hours.
So far, ...
1. Buy another tablet (John's suggestion).
2. Click on Update and risk it all (Amir's suggestion).
3. Do nothing and keep enduring (I'm getting tired now, I'm ready to act).

Like I said it's only recently that it keeps getting worse.
Before that for several months I could handle it as it was periodically.

48 hours, just in case someone else reading this thread comes up with the exact same issue and the solution. I admit, Amir I think is right. And John is 100% not wrong in suggesting to buy a new tablet.
I think the lesson to learn here is to make sure you back up your data elsewhere. There is always a chance that any computing device can suffer a catastrophic failure at any time..

What sort of files have you got on there that you need to move? There are multiple ways to do this.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here's what I'd do.

Get the data/pictures whatever you need off it either manually as best you can, or find an app to do it. If you're buying a new Samsung tab, see if there's a app they offer to make it easy.

Then follow @amirm's advice and install whatever firmware update and see what happens. If it's still playing up after a full reset and update, then it's a paperweight.

Going forward, as @March Audio said, backup your data regularly.

Top Bottom