• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Thalis

Yh, It's a pretty stupid idea connecting the dac like that... But an amplifier i think would go everywhere, for example jds atom had Aux 3.5mm and was easy to plug everything on it.
I think for phone there should be an usb adapter /otg, but i don't know where to get it, maybe it's costly.

OTG adapters are actually very cheap. I even found a cheap micro USB to USB B cable and it worked fine on my phone running UAPP.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It will most likely go into an ADC. That would make the whole scheme fairly useless..

Oh, I didnt say any part of it was useful - just maybe not impossible ;-)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yh, It's a pretty stupid idea connecting the dac like that... But an amplifier i think would go everywhere, for example jds atom had Aux 3.5mm and was easy to plug everything on it.
I think for phone there should be an usb adapter /otg, but i don't know where to get it, maybe it's costly.

Very cheap- you just need a usb cable that ends in the right USB plug at the DAC end (The square one, USB B I think?) and an OTG cable - what phone do you have ? (please tell me not iphone- ideally android with USB C)

Viper Necklampy

Very cheap- you just need a usb cable that ends in the right USB plug at the DAC end (The square one, USB B I think?) and an OTG cable - what phone do you have ? (please tell me not iphone- ideally android with USB C)
Nono, not Iphone, even tho with my Audeze El8 Titanium i should have that :) But no.. Usb-C Phone it's Sony XZ Premium. So, something like... this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B072V9CNTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_MxLCFbJ96SEQQ should be alright and enough?

Thalis

Nono, not Iphone, even tho with my Audeze El8 Titanium i should have that :) But no.. Usb-C Phone it's Sony XZ Premium. So, something like... this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B072V9CNTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_MxLCFbJ96SEQQ should be alright and enough?

Something like this good too:

1601328804014.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

TabCam

Have bought de E30. It is a "new" Batch starting with S/N 2004. Like the sound but unfortunately the pops when turning on/off and changing sample rate are quite audible of 96 dB efficient speakers. Would not expect that there is a new firmware version but have not checked.

I consider those audible pops also part of sound engineering. Both Chord Hugo or RME ADI-2 FS do not exhibit those pops. De SMSL M500 had them. Maybe time for ASR to also test that as it seems that everything that gets reported gets more attention by manufacturers

tomjoad72

Functionality, basically. D10s has only USB in and everything else (RCA, optical digital, coaxial digital) are all outputs. The RCA out is line-level and not a pre-out, so no ability to use D10s as a preamp. No remote control for this reason.

E30 has USB in, optical digital in, coaxial digital in. Only RCA out, but it can do line-level and also work as pre-out. Comes with remote control.
So I argue there are no differences in terms of quality of the component.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I consider those audible pops also part of sound engineering. Both Chord Hugo or RME ADI-2 FS do not exhibit those pops. De SMSL M500 had them. Maybe time for ASR to also test that as it seems that everything that gets reported gets more attention by manufacturers

While I tend to agree here, you're comparing with two products that are at least 10x as expensive.. I guess it's a small compromise for paying 10x less. In my case I solved the popping issue by never shutting it down, and never changing sample rate due to the DSP resampling everything to one sample rate ;)

raif71

Major Contributor
I was thinking the one OP linked- a short usb c to usb a OTG. That one may or may not work- think the pins need to be configured right for On The Go
This is the type of cable I use to connect my Hiby R5 usb-c out to the E30 DAC and so far it's working fine. Works with Fiio K5 Pro too.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
While I tend to agree here, you're comparing with two products that are at least 10x as expensive.. I guess it's a small compromise for paying 10x less. In my case I solved the popping issue by never shutting it down, and never changing sample rate due to the DSP resampling everything to one sample rate ;)

I wouldn't even call it a "pop." It's a split second bit of faint static that happens occasionally between songs. Easy to eliminate the minor crackle when you turn the E30 on or off - turn the dac on before the amp, turn the amp off before the dac. Voila. Happy to live with that compromise and keep the hundreds of dollars in my pocket thank you.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
turn the dac on before the amp, turn the amp off before the dac
Sounds good to me. How about auto-on/off ? If I understand well, the DAC may turn itself on & off with the source PC, but the amp can't.
Or else, maybe leave the DAC on all the time, and just turn the amp on/off manually.

TabCam

Maybe I can learn to live with the quirks and pops, it still not good engineering. Amir poo-poo the Chord Hugo for the price but no matter what you do, it remains unfazed and never pops, usb cables can be plugged and unplugged, sample rates or formats switched, on/of, no pops or clicks at all. I do like devices which don't exhibit that to be superior

Steuerbert

AY i got a stoopid question!

ima connect the L30+e30 via double cinch, and the e30 get its power via the ac. what do i need the usb/opt/coax for?

Top Bottom