• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I could use some suggestions

OP
M

mafelba

They aren't listening for more PRAT (or whatever), they are listening for problems.

There are some here who claim that a Topping E30 will sound the same as a Benchmark DAC or any other transparent DAC for that matter because, according to the standard measurements, they perform nearly identically (practically). I think what Benchmark is telling us is that one cannot use measurements alone to quantify or verify transparency. In other words, listening is needed. And I don't think they are referring to "weird pops".

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think what Benchmark is telling us is that one cannot use measurements alone to quantify or verify transparency. In other words, listening is needed.
Yes, of course this is correct. I mean what could Benchmark’s marketing department possibly stand to gain from not being fully honest with potential purchasers of their equipment?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've had a DAC2 HGC for seven years.

Opinion:

It's a hook it up turn it on and forget about it piece of gear to me.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
In your opinion, what is the value of using balanced interconnects?

With the Benchmark or RME, much higher output levels available, if needed.

+24dBu, if I remember correctly, 12.27Vrms

Can be reduced as required.

OP
M

mafelba

I've had a DAC2 HGC for seven years.

Opinion:

It's a hook it up turn it on and forget about it piece of gear to me.

What's your take on the argument that the Benchmark DAC3 and the Topping E30 ($129) are going to produce the same SQ because they are both transparent and basically share, for all practicality, the same measurements?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What's your take on the argument that the Benchmark DAC3 and the Topping E30 ($129) are going to produce the same SQ because they are both transparent and basically share, for all practicality, the same measurements?

I would suspect both, along with any number of other DACs, are beyond reproach in the listening department, especially after running the signal through an amp, and some speakers, in a room.

See the Shoutometer if you haven't for some entertainment.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@mafelba

You could try the 8th generation AD/DA loops I posted. You get to hear the original digital file and the 8th gen copy. This was done several years ago with decidedly non-SOTA gear.

If you find it hard to hear a difference after 8 rounds of degradation then why worry for one trip thru.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-loop-vs-the-original-can-you-hear-it.448/

Or here is one done more recently with non-Sota, but better equipment.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-choose-the-8th-generation-digital-copy.6827/

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There are some here who claim that a Topping E30 will sound the same as a Benchmark DAC or any other transparent DAC for that matter because, according to the standard measurements, they perform nearly identically (practically).

I would be one of those.

Good luck telling them apart under level matched/blind conditions

If you could do so, you may be able to win a lot of money from those of us who would be willing to bet that not you or anyone else can...even the good folks at Benchmark.

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm going to go with Benchmark's position that "Measurements don't tell the full story" and go from there.
You need to analyse the statement that Benchmark is making. What does it mean to "tell the full story"?

In actual fact, nobody is saying that measurements tell the full story when it comes to the full listening experience. There are subjectively important factors that are thrown into the mix (even including what your DAC looks like, its colour etc.).

Measurements don't tell stories, they give information as to how a product performs.

"Telling the full story" is clever marketing language that allows Benchmark to fully accept the importance of measurements but tease the prospective customer with a special something that lies beyond.

Top Bottom