• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New 2020 rolling stone ranking of the 500 greatest albums of all time

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Were those selections based on the highest record sales, most units, most popular among a certain age and demography, scientifically selected, or just pure fun?

RollingStone...yaman. Ozzy and Iggy.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A single Kraftwerk and Can album each (neither of them their best) represent the whole of Europe.

Because The Clash, The Cure, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, David Bowie, The Sex Pisols, The Who, Kate Bush, U2, Portishead, Queen, Yes, Sade, Depeche Mode, The Police, etc... (too many to list) don't represent Europe? :)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Were those selections based on the highest record sales, most units, most popular among a certain age and demography, scientifically selected, or just pure fun?
RollingStone...yaman. Ozzy and Iggy.

Just treat it as a Stereophile review: mostly noise, with eventually a few records to discover.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you're rapidly sliding into journalistic irrelevance, creating "lists" like this is a sure means of viral publicity.

I wonder how much of the total traffic on their site is on this list. I know I looked at the old one more than the rest of the site combined, for the reason already mentioned, to avoid missing something.

OP
fredoamigo

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is nothing scientific in the selection mode and how would they do it?

Jury members include Beyoncé, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes, Adam Horovitz of the Beastie Boys, Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine, Lars Ulrich of Metallica, members of U2, Rufus Wainwright and Raekwon of the Wu-Tang Clan.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Because The Clash, The Cure, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, David Bowie, The Sex Pisols, The Who, Kate Bush, U2, Portishead, Queen, Yes, Sade, Depeche Mode, The Police, etc... (too many to list) don't represent Europe?
Continental Europe then! The point is that the Rolling Stone list is disturbingly Anglophone. I say that as an expat Brit residing in Europe for the last 35 years.

TimF

Forum Donor
No Tim Buckley. But then, I didn't make the list either.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Reactions: EJ3

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Jury members include Beyoncé, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes, Adam Horovitz of the Beastie Boys, Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine, Lars Ulrich of Metallica, members of U2, Rufus Wainwright and Raekwon of the Wu-Tang Clan.

Exactly; nothing scientific with Billie Stylish, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Beyoncé, Kathy Perry, Snoopy Fog, ... it's all in the music grooves, the lyrics, the style, the appeal, the ... soul?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that I have to edit my earlier post.
It's not 1000, but rather 5000 albums should be mentioned.

Seems the trend follows the Tb HDD's ...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that I have to edit my earlier post.
It's not 1000, but rather 5000 albums should be mentioned.

Seems the trend follows the Tb HDD's ...
Given so many of us now how have streaming services they really are not putting the effort in with anything less than a top 1M albums list. That would get my attention.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about someone creates a reddit style list and we vote up/down to create our own top X,XXX albums? Some webdev genius on here can do that, I’m sure!:cool:

weasels

I was wondering how a Raekwon solo album got on there... lol

hello_there

Their list is so bad I am ashamed I looked at part of it, before I remembered that my time is limited on this Earth, and closed that window.

No regrets spending my time writing this note, however.

Hemi-Demon

I read these list as simply a means to check out albums that I have never experienced. I think they are fun and enjoyable discussion pieces.

I would have liked to see more Blues records(Albert King, Junior Wells and Buddy Guy), some Gregory Porter (Liquid Spirits), Coltrane-A Love Supreme ranked higher and maybe a Meshell NdegeOcello (Plantation Lullabies). She fused hip hop, gender breaking lyrics, rock, funk and folk music in a time period that predated the acceptance of Frank Ocean's flexibility, by decades.

Seems completely incomplete to not include any orchestra/big band jazz music? I know it is rock/pop centered, but man that is a huge oversight.

If they were going to grab a few newer records, that were added to get more young people to pay attention, then Anderson Pak "Malibu" and Alabama Shakes "Sound and Color" (maybe a conflict of interest since she was on the board of reviewers) certainly would have been a good start over some of the albums they grabbed to fill spots in the last decade. I mean I have listened to them, but Daddy Yankee and the Bad Bunny, just are not very good to making a list of this type.

Chuck Berry and Little Richard meant too much, created and new musical genre and seem to be far too low.

Pink Floyd is WAAAY too low imo. I would have liked to see a Deftones album on here, any of the first three, but maybe that is just personal bias.

I am going to check out Aphex Twin, Tim Buckley, Captain Beefheart and Can. Thanks for the recommendations.

No Aphex Twin on there but...Harry Styles? Criminal.

Harry Styles in on the list, just later back

The presence of greatest hits collections in the top 100 (or in any position) confirm the editorial laziness I admit that I expected.

I agree 100%. I mean James Brown Star Time, that is cheating. That is 4-6 albums, lumped together. Make it hard on the critics, choose full albums only.

Top Bottom