• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it that easy to blow up a subwoofer?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For context, this is my living room setup: Khadas Tone Board -> iFi iTube2 preamp -> Naim NAP250 clone DIY amp -> GR Research X-LS Encore + a DIY sub using SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-4 subwoofer driver tuned to around 35Hz driven by Aiyima A3001 TPA3255-based subwoofer power amp connected to the preamp via RCA splitter. This is the latest averaged corrected in-room measurement from my listening position (before the sub blew up):

sweep.png

So as you can see I'm getting down to 20-30Hz in the sub-bass region, so I figured that "why not try to listen to some songs with more sub-bass." And I was going through some songs the system played them beautifully, until when I played this song called "Bassotronics - Bass I Love You" I heard a faint pop, then I got no bass at all. I then checked the sub, it's no longer moving while I'm playing the song and that's when I realized I screwed up. I rechecked everything afterwards, the connections and all, everything is setup properly, but the subwoofer is still no longer working.

So my question is, is it really that easy to blow up a subwoofer? I'm not even playing it at high SPL, I was playing music at around 80-90 dB from my listening position which is 2m away from the speakers. I'm so sad right now, now that I have a paperweight of a subwoofer:(:(.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I assume this is a ported subwoofer? Did you add a highpass filter at the bottom end?
Yes it is a ported sub. And no I didn't add any highpass filter. Was that a mistake? :(

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes it is a ported sub. And no I didn't add any highpass filter. Was that a mistake? :(

That is probably why you have a dead subwoofer, yes. The excursion of your woofer rises uncontrollably below your port tuning frequency. So a high pass filter, typically somewhere between 10-20hz depending on the design, is essentially a must on ported subwoofers.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Yes thats possibel portet subs usually not enjoy frequencys under the portfrequence.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
That is probably why you have a dead subwoofer, yes. The excursion of your woofer rises uncontrollably below your port tuning frequency. So a high pass filter, typically somewhere between 10-20hz depending on the design, is essentially a must on ported subwoofers.
Thanks for the info. Now I know my next sub should be a sealed design.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
When you say the sub isnt moving. Do you mean it won't move when you physically push it. Or its not making sound? Because the two have different causes

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For context, this is my living room setup: Khadas Tone Board -> iFi iTube2 preamp -> Naim NAP250 clone DIY amp -> GR Research X-LS Encore + a DIY sub using SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-4 subwoofer driver tuned to around 35Hz driven by Aiyima A3001 TPA3255-based subwoofer power amp connected to the preamp via RCA splitter. This is the latest averaged corrected in-room measurement from my listening position (before the sub blew up):

View attachment 84879

So as you can see I'm getting down to 20-30Hz in the sub-bass region, so I figured that "why not try to listen to some songs with more sub-bass." And I was going through some songs the system played them beautifully, until when I played this song called "Bassotronics - Bass I Love You" I heard a faint pop, then I got no bass at all. I then checked the sub, it's no longer moving while I'm playing the song and that's when I realized I screwed up. I rechecked everything afterwards, the connections and all, everything is setup properly, but the subwoofer is still no longer working.

So my question is, is it really that easy to blow up a subwoofer? I'm not even playing it at high SPL, I was playing music at around 80-90 dB from my listening position which is 2m away from the speakers. I'm so sad right now, now that I have a paperweight of a subwoofer:(:(.
Check with an ohm meter whether the coil of the woofer in the sub is broken (disconnect it from the power amp first). If it reads a few ohm check whether you can move the membrane in by carefully applying some pressure with your fingers. If it moves the woofer is fine and the power amp is faulty.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Try plugging the sub into your main speaker out to see if it makes sound. I suspect the plate amp may have given up. Best way to test is get a multi meter on the sub and check it for shorts or unusual high resistance.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Check with an ohm meter whether the coil of the woofer in the sub is broken (disconnect it from the power amp first). If it reads a few ohm check whether you can move the membrane in by carefully applying some pressure with your fingers. If it moves the woofer is fine and the power amp is faulty.
Lol you beat me to it

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sure iam sorry i was stupid. First you have to go to all the failure finding process.
Has the sub-amp a fuse did you checked it? Did you checked the cabelconnections in the sub?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some Rythmik subs have a switchable high pass, mentioning Edge of Tomorrow for its use case, as they know people blast that opening intro so see how close to an earthquake they can make.
Also, as a funny side note, Rythmik now states that Klipsch overstates their sensitivity so there is no issue pairing their models which don’t get too loud with them.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Try plugging the sub into your main speaker out to see if it makes sound. I suspect the plate amp may have given up. Best way to test is get a multi meter on the sub and check it for shorts or unusual high resistance.
You're right! It does make sound! I did a quick sweep measurement, it is not damaged in any way! Omg!

If it moves the woofer is fine and the power amp is faulty.
Yes this is the case now unfortunately. So the issue here is the power amp, any idea what may cause it went kaput all of a sudden like that? It was working fine for so long, until I played the song "Bass I love you."

Btw, thanks for all the responses guys, all of them are helpful for a noob like me haha!

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right! It does make sound! I did a quick sweep measurement, it is not damaged in any way! Omg!

Yes this is the case now unfortunately. So the issue here is the power amp, any idea what may cause it went kaput all of a sudden like that? It was working fine for so long, until I played the song "Bass I love you."

Btw, thanks for all the responses guys, all of them are helpful for a noob like me haha!
Check the power amp for a broken fuse.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Check the power amp for a broken fuse.
Fuse is still intact, and the unit still lights up. It just doesn't make any sound. So weird.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Okay so apparently the power amp just need a quick 5 minutes of rest to make it sing again ahaha! I'm so sorry for the fuss and being such a noob. Here in the product page of the power amp it states that "If the power of the speaker is too low, the power amplifier chip will be powered off for protection." Don't know what that means, but I think it went to protection mode earlier and just need a little rest. All is well now! :D Thanks a lot for the assistance guys!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Some Rythmik subs have a switchable high pass, mentioning Edge of Tomorrow for its use case, as they know people blast that opening intro so see how close to an earthquake they can make.
Also, as a funny side note, Rythmik now states that Klipsch overstates their sensitivity so there is no issue pairing their models which don’t get too loud with them.

Not sure exactly how this comment is relevant to this thread, but thanks for the information. :D

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Okay so apparently the power amp just need a quick 5 minutes of rest to make it sing again ahaha! I'm so sorry for the fuss and being such a noob. Here in the product page of the power amp stated that "If the power of the speaker is too low, the power amplifier chip will be powered off for protection." Don't know what that means, but I think it went to protection mode earlier and just need a little rest. All is well now! :D

Great to hear. So, to avoid ACTUALLY breaking your woofer, you should still add a high pass filter. :)

Top Bottom