• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
So, with all respect, and absolutely no intent to flame or otherwise cause a problem - we forgo perhaps extremely interesting tests because the sponsor might be unhappy?

I'm reminded of amir's earlier Schitt reviews. Eventually, Schitt took the negatives and learned from them. Product improved.

Could this not be the case with Revel?

You tests are the most comprehensive, thorough, and informative of any driver tests. Period. Why not give Revel the benefit of them?

I think Revel already has all of the engineering and testing capability to do whatever they need done. My curiosity would be comparing one of their custom drivers to a similar "off the shelf" unit.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Revel already has all of the engineering and testing capability to do whatever they need done. My curiosity would be comparing one of their custom drivers to a similar "off the shelf" unit.
Having been there, this is 100% true. Not only all the tools but most importantly they have the team of people and they know how to use them.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
You haven’t really tested a speaker until you have: broken the plinth (yep), fallen (a short distance) off a ladder, thrown out your back, and cut your leg. Oh, and a sunburn! All on separate occasions. But on the same day.

F226Be testing is done. And it kicked my butt. Happy birthday to me...

120090117_10101156548944223_8184322221876866024_o.jpg

120111839_10101156549014083_1364634909490270150_o.jpg

120034614_10101156548979153_8892359136372633876_o.jpg

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Happy Birthday @hardisj and yes you are harder-core into speaker testing. :D

Haha. Well, it wasn't so much to prove I'm a badass. Moreso to try to laugh off just how freaking hard it is to get good data out of a speaker this size/weight. Getting vertical response in 4-pi... well, let's just say the contraption I built today would definitely win some "redneck engineering" awards. My dad was proud when I sent him the picture. My friends were appalled. I purposely left those photos out of the above post. I already have enough people judging me. I don't need more. :D :D

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha. Well, it wasn't so much to prove I'm a badass. Moreso to try to laugh off just how freaking hard it is to get good data out of a speaker this size/weight. Getting vertical response in 4-pi... well, let's just say the contraption I built today would definitely win some "redneck engineering" awards. My dad was proud when I sent him the picture. My friends were appalled. :D
Pics or it didn't happen :p

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Pics or it didn't happen :p

some things shall never be shown. But I was born in Kentucky and raised in Alabama. So, I know how to make things go together in the most “git r dun” way. LOL. Concrete block, ladder, dolly, 2x2 foot plywood, picnic tables, and tie down straps can get the job done when you have nothing else. :eek:. ;)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

Ericglo

Got these in today for testing. Gonna be a bit before I have the time to review them. But figured I might as well tease the group with a couple photos.

Purifi PTT4 4-inch Mid-woofer sent from Purifi:
https://purifi-audio.com/transducers/ptt4-0w04/

SB Acoustics SB17CAC35-4 6" ceramic woofer sent by @Selah Audio:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...coustics-sb17cac35-4-6-ceramic-woofer-4-ohms/

View attachment 84657

Does Selah have any plans for the Purifi 4"? It looks like a good candidate for a MTM.

Do you see any similarities between the SB ceramic cone and the Revel cone?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Does Selah have any plans for the Purifi 4"? It looks like a good candidate for a MTM.

Do you see any similarities between the SB ceramic cone and the Revel cone?

no idea on if Selah is going to use the 4” Purifi. This set came from Purifi themselves.

Definitely not the same cone as used in the F226Be. These have the little ribs. The new Revel ones do not.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

Actually, I wouldn't normally mind showing at least the on-axis response but...

I'm building a new test stand for large speakers and I will be re-testing the Revels. Not because the data is bad. But, this test taught me I need a better rig for testing large speakers.

I have been used to testing smaller bookshelf speakers which don't pose much trouble at all. But this Revel kicked my butt due to its tall size and weight. I had to rig up some stuff for the vertical polars that made the pucker factor quite high and to be honest, while I am comfortable with the results, I know I can build something a bit more robust for future testing of larger speakers. So, while I still have the Revels, I am going to build up the new test stand and re-test them just to make sure everything is still kosher. I haven't decided on the final test stand design yet, otherwise I'd go ahead and post it. But, when I get it finalized I'll post it up.

I can't stress enough just how dang hard it is to properly test large speakers and to get any sort of anechoic-like response in the midrange. Especially the vertical polars where the speaker has to be laid on its side and the tweeter needs to be positioned at the center of rotation, which means the rest of the speaker basically is hanging off and needs to be supported somehow, without creating reflections (or at least, minimizing them to some degree). Times like this make me wish I had the NFS. If I did, I would be churning this stuff out like butter.

:)

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got these in today for testing.
SB Acoustics SB17CAC35-4 6" ceramic woofer sent by @Selah Audio:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...coustics-sb17cac35-4-6-ceramic-woofer-4-ohms/

I am very curious about your results.
When the SB17CAC35-8 and SB17NBAC35-8 were tested in a German magazine in 2018, both drivers showed outstanding results - even better than the already very good SB17NAC35-8 (I already used it in a project as midrange driver and was very satisfied).

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I am very curious about your results.
When the SB17CAC35-8 and SB17NBAC35-8 were tested in a German magazine in 2018, both drivers showed outstanding results - even better than the already very good SB17NAC35-8 (I already used it in a project as midrange driver and was very satisfied).
Do you happen to have a link to the SB17CAC35-8 test? thanks

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom