• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics cables

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Personally, I think cables as thick as a firehose with oversize plugs/connectors look ridiculous. In fact, I like to minimize the visibility of cables. To each their own.

If they aren't malfunctioning, they are probably no better or worse than any other cable.

Edit to add: Given the deception in advertising you've found, I would guess there's a greater probability of manufacturing shortcuts.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
on the topic of Amazon.. anyone have experience or opinions on JIB Boaacoustic cables.. namely their sold on Amazon "Blackberry" and "Blueberry" line which I found out after purchase was actually made in China and not Germany as their box states?? I mean I only paid $150-200 for the cables, but I feel like I could also easily have just paid $35 for a Chinese made cable and saved the "Made in Germany" premium, or are these in fact good, but they just outsource to China to make a few extra $ in profit?
KabelDirekt actually is a German company that sells “cheap but good” cables on Amazon, and you can bet they are made in China rather than Germany. But yeah, if I purchased something advertised as being made in Germany but in actuality was made in China, I would probably return it. Not because it would inherently be of lower quality, but because I couldn’t support a company acting unethically and advertising its products to be something they are not.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
on the topic of Amazon.. anyone have experience or opinions on JIB Boaacoustic cables.. namely their sold on Amazon "Blackberry" and "Blueberry" line which I found out after purchase was actually made in China and not Germany as their box states?? I mean I only paid $150-200 for the cables, but I feel like I could also easily have just paid $35 for a Chinese made cable and saved the "Made in Germany" premium, or are these in fact good, but they just outsource to China to make a few extra $ in profit?
So, I did a little digging and JIB Boaacoustic does appear to be a German company. So, OK, they are manufacturing their cables in China, but Audi, Mercedes, and BMW manufacture automobiles in China, too. I don’t see the difference unless there was some sort of misrepresentation as to where the cables are built.

https://www.boaacoustic.de/

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
because it looks cool?? idk .. I mean a $12K amp connected to a plastic stock cable just looks silly ... more so than were it connected to a $5000 hand made cable
A $5000 hand made power cable is way more silly!

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A $5000 hand made power cable is way more silly!
Maybe such a power cable is a Veblen good. It is conspicuous consumption, where lack of practical utility is signalling the membership of an exclusive group.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe such a power cable is a Veblen good. It is conspicuous consumption, where lack of practical utility is signalling the membership of an exclusive group.
The problem with cables as conspicuous consumption is that no one will notice or give a shit. A good portion of audio enthusiasts will think you’re a fool as well, and the other portion will think you picked the wrong expensive cable.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power cable should be the very easiest DIY product.
And the most dangerous. Try explaining your DIY power cable to your insurance adjuster.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are soo right ...
This behaviour is way better :

1600887606715.png

992SAM

The problem with cables as conspicuous consumption is that no one will notice or give a shit. A good portion of audio enthusiasts will think you’re a fool as well, and the other portion will think you picked the wrong expensive cable.

this can be said of everything we buy as audiophiles... the guy with the $50K amp looks at the guy with the $12K amp as settling for less than perfect... and the guy with the $12K amp looks at the guy with the $50K amp as a fool.

992SAM

I mean who doesn't want this guys setup... from the collection of music, to the turn table collection to the speakers, etc... he's probably $500,000 or more into it.. maybe even $1M .. but hey, if I had the cash to drop on it, I sure would.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean who doesn't want this guys setup... from the collection of music, to the turn table collection to the speakers, etc... he's probably $500,000 or more into it.. maybe even $1M .. but hey, if I had the cash to drop on it, I sure would.

No thanks

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Billy Budapest mind explaining the difference between a wire like AWM and one "made for audio" in terms of contruction/materials?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so you're saying if I gave that to you under the stipulation that you couldn't sell it, you wouldn't take it?
Correct.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this forum sure brings out some odd ones... that, or you're what some might call a "hater"
Not a hater, just not my thing. Not into tubes, horns, and vinyl

Last edited:
Top Bottom