• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What proportion of speakers that are manufactured and purchased does the preference score apply reasonably well to?

Probably a lot of them, I never said the preference score wasn't a useful guide for the speakers it does apply to; it is, although it's certainly far from absolute. It functions as a reasonable way to eliminate poor and mediocre speakers from consideration as long as they're all of traditional design. For comparing speakers within 1 or 2 points it's completely useless though. So again, it's an interpretation of some of the measurements.

But that's got nothing to do with whether it applies in this case. It doesn't matter how many speakers the preference score applies to if the one you're discussing is significantly different from the ones used to derive it in the first place. No more explanation is required here.

ribosradagast

The preference score can only work for speaker types which were modeled in the original study, this is literally a limitation mentioned by Olive in the study.

Yeah, it literally says in the Notes of the linked sheet:
"This formula is based on testing using monopole speakers"
Which means of course it won't apply well to the dipole Magnepan

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It isn't perfect, but it correlates very good with speaker quality.

what is "speaker quality" ??

how do you measure it? or do you use rank order tests to assign values?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what is "speaker quality" ??

how do you measure it? or do you use rank order tests to assign values?

I would characterize it as how likely that speaker is to be preferred on average in a double blind test at a given volume and setup. It can vary based on extension and spl need, and obviously only applies on average. On individual scales, that measure of quality should provide some guidance, but will be no guarantee, due to individual preference.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
On the homepage: shouldn't 'curtesy' be 'courtesy' ?

All data generated using a Klippel Near Field Scanner and provided curtesy of Amir Majidimehr of AudioScienceReview (ASR).

Also noticed this on the 'notes' page.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
On the homepage: shouldn't 'curtesy' be 'courtesy' ?
@MZKM
giphy.gif

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx for this - is there a way to select out bookshelf models?
Go to the Speaker Selector tab. Sadly, only way I can do this is by making it a copied Sheet and not some type of thing you can do on a site, as that requires a real website and coding.

Also, I tried to format the filter boxes to be intuitive, but if someone has a better option, I’m all ears.

I’m also nearly done adding dimensions for all the speakers, that way if you have space restraints you can narrow down your options. I’ve not added weight, as I don’t see the merit.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. For sure. I am very confused. You'd think that Revel, out of every company out there, would not release an "upgrade" that scores lower on this. But then, this could raise many good questions about the scoring system. Or even point to why Revel doesn't want to send Amir their speakers.

As the post says, get that popcorn out!!

I don't think Revel uses the score anymore. From what I understand, their higher end models must beat the cheaper models in DBT, and that's the metric they use.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Amir says may or may not be true to life, due to measurement constraints.

This seems like it could be very important and not something for people to skip over straight on their way to the results. I have emailed my results to Harman and noted a LF difference between mine and their spinorama set of the F226Be. Interesting that you mentioned Amir having some funnies in the bass. I will be paying attention here.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems like it could be very important and not something for people to skip over straight on their way to the results. I have emailed my results to Harman and noted a LF difference between mine and their spinorama set of the F226Be. Interesting that you mentioned Amir having some funnies in the bass. I will be paying attention here.
Well, we have already seen differences between the Klippel and Harman Spinoramas, and Harman has stated they recently recalibrated their anechoic measurements. However, that’s not the only case here, Due to the complex soundfield, Amir said that without being able to measure further away from the speaker, he could see maybe a small dB difference being had (so I guess the fitting error went a bit high).

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Well, we have already seen differences between the Klippel and Harman Spinoramas, and Harman has stated they recently recalibrated their anechoic measurements. However, that’s not the only case here, Due to the complex soundfield, Amir said that without being able to measure further away from the speaker, he could see maybe a small dB difference being had (so I guess the fitting error went a bit high).

I remember talk about this coming up.

I do ground plane testing which is pretty much fool-proof for getting LF measurements. I'll be curious to see what Harman's reply to the SPINORAMA results I provided them is and if they will mention this re-calibration of their chamber vs the measurements they provided me taken in 2019.

I'd also be curious to see how the FR changes from 1m to 4m in Amir's measurements. IIRC, he's able to tell Klippel's software to project the result at various distances. In my case of measuring the F226Be, going from 1 to 2 meters resulted in no change (other than measurement error; not lining up the mic precisely to the same point, but this was only a sanity check measurement). I did test at 4 meters as well but was only concerned with LF summation and IIRC there was still no difference there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom