• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Records Outsell CD !

OP
B

bigLP

Forum Donor
Well, yes, you cant stream an LP.

You dont' stream cds either really do you?
Does Amazon have millions of big Sony jukebox cd players that drop a disc when someone clicks for it at home?????

It is interesting that as physical media declines people are clinging to the more archaic format.
The emotional connection seems to trump the rational superiority of cds.

mansr

Major Contributor
Nothing really surprising here. The majority of people have moved from CDs to streaming for all their music desires. A few stalwarts who refused to switch to CDs in the first place are still stubbornly clinging to their vinyl. (Hopefully there's no vinyl clinging to them; that would be a most disturbing sight.) Then there are the wannabe hipster millenials buying vinyl mostly to display next to their "vintage" (made in China, distressed to look old by equally distressed workers) trinkets. Many of them don't even own a turntable, so I'm told. Most people don't own a CD player either. The only thing the CD format has going for it is inconvenience, and vinyl has more of that plus nostalgia too. Of course it wins.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Amazon have millions of big Sony jukebox cd players that drop a disc when someone clicks for it at home?????

It is interesting that as physical media declines people are clinging to the more archaic format.

No, but you can stream 16/44.1 files that are lossless compared to the files on the CD- "CD quality" . Im not aware that anyone has yet come up with a way of getting "lossless to the LP" quality files through the interweb plumbing.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

LPs were on the way out by the time I was a teenager, so the nostalgia factor is not particularly high for me, personally.

LP offers tweakery that digital doesn't.

You can futz around with different cartridges, alignments, tracking weights, tone arms, cartridge loading, etc, in a tweaky way that really does sonically matter (because it's all so flawed) and doesn't require belief in magic Ethernet or USB cables that make the bits "better".

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Bits are bits.

In digital, the medium is just a storage vehicle.

Unlike analog, where the medium is inextricable from the modality.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LPs were on the way out by the time I was a teenager, so the nostalgia factor is not particularly high for me, personally.

LP offers tweakery that digital doesn't.

You can futz around with different cartridges, alignments, tracking weights, tone arms, cartridge loading, etc, in a tweaky way that really does sonically matter (because it's all so flawed) and doesn't require belief in magic Ethernet or USB cables that make the bits "better".
I am not a very good enthusiast because even when I can think of a worthwhile bit of tweakery I tend to just listen to the system as it is.
As far as I am concerned digital has been transparent pretty well since the first CDs, so any shortcomings are in the recording/mix so not much one can do.
All analogue, otoh, is imperfect in a plethora of potential ways so can be tweaked ad infinitum whilst never, however much tweakery is indulged in, will be a transparent window onto the recording/mix. It does allow "seasoning" to taste.
Its only benefit over digital is how much more reassuringly costly everything about it is.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I
All analogue, otoh, is imperfect in a plethora of potential ways so can be tweaked ad infinitum whilst never, however much tweakery is indulged in, will be a transparent window onto the recording/mix. It does allow "seasoning" to taste.
Its only benefit over digital is how much more reassuringly costly everything about it is.

I think the computer audiophile crowd has pointed out an irony with digital.

Namely, "audiophiles" feel the need to tweak, season to taste, etc.

So, strangely enough, digital can lead to irrational tweakery of a near flawless medium, while analog can lead to rational tweakery of a highly imperfect medium.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting numbers. First half of 2020 $4.8B spent on streaming, $232M on vinyl and $130M on CDs. So out of a total market of $5.162B, 92.0% was streaming, 4.5% vinyl and 2.5% CD. Looks like physical media is in their death throes, vinyl is simply convulsing a little harder than CD.

I don't buy digital media - only files - but I will pick up the occasional LP.

Martin

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I thought anything OLD was archaic, I'd be driving in one of those new fangled cars instead of old reliable Betsy who only needs grass and water.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I haven't bought a CD in a decade.

On the other hand, I have about 425 LPs I've bought since 2010. My turntable is a proper late 1980s vintage Michell Gyro SE, made in the UK.

But now I'm spending more on buying reel to reel.
I just bought this:
711KFhKe8OL._SY355_.jpg

Ten CDs, $27, shipped. Showing up tomorrow. I can stream this via Amazon Music, but I want to compare the two, already love three of the performances in this set, sound quality is as good as Redbook gets. With classical music, which presents situations that are better dealt with in digital media, there is motivation to get these seriously cheap cd boxes before they disappear, subsequently becoming collector's items. Many times the streamable versions have sonic compromises not found on the CDs.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I thought anything OLD was archaic, I'd be driving in one of those new fangled cars instead of old reliable Betsy who only needs grass and water.
Old and Archaic are NOT the same. I forgive you for any unintentional personal insults some of our members may have experienced.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I just bought this:
View attachment 83221

Ten CDs, $27, shipped. Showing up tomorrow. I can stream this via Amazon Music, but I want to compare the two, already love three of the performances in this set, sound quality is as good as Redbook gets. With classical music, which presents situations that are better dealt with in digital media, there is motivation to get these seriously cheap cd boxes before they disappear, subsequently becoming collector's items. Many times the streamable versions have sonic compromises not found on the CDs.

But will you listen to the CDs or rip them to a server?

I do the latter, if needed.

I don't even own an optical disk player anymore.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
But will you keep listen to the CDs or rip them to a server?

I do the latter, if needed.
There's a friend of mine who does not stream, he's getting another birthday present soon.;)
I don't even own an optical disk player anymore.
Managed to find two nearly Universal Blu-Ray Players at the thrift store within the last two years, something like $40 for both, plays everything but the DVD-Audio layer, and it still can play the standard audio on those discs anyway. But I haven't used it in ages, my DAP is far more convenient. And I'm watching movies via streaming on the laptop, which has a hi-def screen.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Indeed, and any recording you buy is a taped copy which has clear deterioration over the original, it may even be worse (accuracy wise) than a early pressing from th master stamper!

Yep, it's a crap shoot.

On the other hand, for classical, it doesn't suffer from IGD during crescendos.

Sustained piano usually sounds better, too, probably due to lack of eccentricity issues.

And if I have a 1 mil tape, a 10.5" reel can go 48 min at 15 IPS. So less flipping.

Top Bottom