• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping preamp

TimF

Forum Donor
Can’t wait time buy it! Still I think, there is one more market that is underserved, although it would be a stretch for Topping, and that is lack of CD, not to mention SACD transport, that doesn’t brake the bank and has IIS and AES outputs, decent screen etc. There are many, many threads even on ASR, where people are still looking for solutions, and there isn’t many really. PS Audio Memory Player is one of the few, but look at its price... I would buy two Toppings myself if it was 90 series range
I will second that...a cd transport. I'd buy two of them tomorrow.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO market harldy needs another "classic" stereo preamp as it doesn't need another "classic" stereo DAC. What is missing on the market, at least in my opinion, is a product that would have some features of modern AV processor/preamps, but built with better specs and of course without Dolby/DTS decoders.

Here is list of features that I would like to see in such device:

- analog and digital inputs, including USB audio input
- 4, 6 or 8 channel DAC, to support stereo pre-out and 2 subs or stereo pre-out and 4 subs or 2 stereo preouts (to allow bi-amping) and 4 subs
- crossover capability to allow high-pass for stereo pre-outs for mains and low-pass for subs. It should be possible to configure delay to allow for smooth sub integration
- digital volume control

Following options would be nice to have:

- optional BT/WiFi module to accept audio from phones
- optional module to run FIR/IIR filters
- optional streamer module (say with Volumio to include UPnP/DLNA renderer functionality, Roon endpoint functionality, Tidal, Qobuz, ..)

There is one product that does this, the Mini DSP SHD. The RME FS Dac comes close. I am hoping a future generation adds the crossover and second dac for the subs.

VeerK

Power supply is fine now. Heatsink and new chassis are the new problems.

Are you being size limited? Maybe new chassis that is double the width of the *90 might be helpful? Still maintains desktop form factor but also matches the A90/D90/Pre90 aesthetic

jruser

How will the extender work? Does it just hook up to the XLR input on the pre90?

Dave O.

Another question for John Yang: will the preamplifier include a headphone output? In an earlier post you had compared the output power to A90 and other headphone amps but I may not have understood the context. For those of us who don't need a dedicated balanced hp amp this may be a welcome cost and space saver.

I have been searching and I can say with some certainty that there aren't a plethora of available high quality preamps with analogue volume and inputs in a compact form factor available so this release is most welcome by those of us with analogue sources and limited space.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Another question for John Yang: will the preamplifier include a headphone output? In an earlier post you had compared the output power to A90 and other headphone amps but I may not have understood the context. For those of us who don't need a dedicated balanced hp amp this may be a welcome cost and space saver.

I have been searching and I can say with some certainty that there aren't a plethora of available high quality preamps with analogue volume and inputs in a compact form factor available so this release is most welcome by those of us with analogue sources and limited space.
It's just a preamp. No headphone outputs. What the output power means is that this preamp will not have any extra distortion when loaded by low line level impedance like 600Ohm 300Ohm.

Top Bottom