• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

techboy

HD 650
HD 600
HD 58X
HD 598
HD 598 CS
AirPods

One day I’ll own the HD 660S and maybe HD 580 too. :)

techboy

How 598cs sound compared to others ?

I have the first HD 598 CS sold in the world. I was also the first person to pre order one when it went live. So hopefully it’s the same as other HD 598 CS phones.

It sounds very very different than the others. Way way more fun.

It is neutral to a bit bright. Very crisp. Bass is tighter than other Sennheiser’s. The mids are very crisp and clear but not with as much body, not as sweet, but very good. The soundstage isn’t bad for a closed back. Goes very loud using just BTunes or stock cable, you won’t be able to listen on full volume using an iPhone. Sounds very good and loud of an IPhone, unlike any of the above.

Mikechw

Meze 99 classics
Sennheiser HD650
Hifiman Ananda
head.jpg

This pair arrived yesterday.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AKG K240DF, Senn HD650, HD595, Etymotic ER4P

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The DT770-80 is around 106dB/V, the DT1770-250 (Tesla driver) is 108dB/V so the DT1770 should be slightly louder at the same volume setting.
So when you are happy with the DT770-80 the DT1770 will be even 'easier to drive'.
You could consider the DT177X portable from Drop which is 32 Ohm, more sensitive and can even be used balanced.
Are we gettings T1.3 measurements from you ? Very curious about that one. What are your opinions on 1990, amiron, t1.2 trio ? When it comes to Beyer it's hard to find reliable information. All people saying BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT SIBILANT!

Robin L

Master Contributor
About to get my pair of Drop 6XX.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Are we gettings T1.3 measurements from you ? Very curious about that one. What are your opinions on 1990, amiron, t1.2 trio ? When it comes to Beyer it's hard to find reliable information. All people saying BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT SIBILANT!

I haven't visited the headphone dealer that has all these great new headphones waiting for me to measure and listen to in almost 2 years.
Way too busy alas.
My opinion on the DT1990, Amiron Home and T1.2 are here. Also the DT880-Black Special Edition , own that one in modified form (not all black anymore) which is ridiculously close to the Amiron Home to the point where the only point they really differ is color and looks.

All people saying BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT SIBILANT!

There are people that do not hear them this way but rather think they just sound highly detailed. All these Beyers have high treble peaks. Not everyone hears them as nasty and just as highly detailed. Once you have heard the sibilance and get bothered by it it is hard to unhear.
Fortunately there are fixes for this. There are many people that like Beyers just the way they are.
The most audible treble peak is the DT1990 with A pads. I find that totally unlistenable.
The good part is that when you were to master on the DT1990-A you will get recordings that do not show 'sharpness' and have full and deep lows.
Good recordings are never mastered on a DT1990A though but on good monitors in treated console rooms.

Last edited:

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
"Harshness" was why i stayed away from them for so long, but now my 770s are my favorite headphones.

roxy17

First post in forum for a subject i love: Lovely HEADPHONES!
1. JVC H505 (yes - still working!)
2. Beyerdynamic DTX900 (no serious anymore)
3. AKG K550 (Nice close hp)
4. AKG K452 (Small size - mostly for walking around)
5. Sony MDR-XB950 (for heavy bass)
6. Sennheiser HD660S (my favorite of course)
7. Bose Soundsport wireless (great bass - clear high)
8. Bose Soundsport wired in ear (great sound also)
9. Sennheiser CX200 (in ear budged small headphones - very nice in bass sound, also)

Robin L

Master Contributor
solderdude---I've got $200/$300 to spend, what sealed back 'phones do I want? My biggest sonic challenge these days is Bruckner. The mass brass climaxes that blow up in every single movement easily become oversaturated and distorted. I've heard far fewer problems with pop and rock, but brassy classical is the worst.

Thalis

My current headphones:

AKG K240Mk II
Sennheiser HD280 Pro (The new version)
Koss KPH30i

Several Superlux's: 681F, 669 (RIP), 668B(RIP)

Various cheap and not so cheap earbuds (was feeling very nostalgic).

My go to was the Sony MDR CD250 that I bought sometime in the 90s.... sadly the left driver magnet came off last year so also RIP :(. Loved its sound.

Bart

My current headphones:

My go to was the Sony MDR CD250 that I bought sometime in the 90s.... sadly the left driver magnet came off last year so also RIP :(. Loved its sound.

Ha, these were exactly my very first headphones, Sony MDR-CD250 - also bought in the 90s.
Very comfortable ones, but I gave them away when I got the Sennheiser HD580's. Back then I didn't know yet one can properly own more than one headphone at the same time :)

Also had two consecutive Shure IEM's (different models) for commuting. Both went bust soon after warranty expired.

After having spent nearly two decades with the HD580's, I bought a Beyerdynamic DT-880 (600 Ohm).
Very nice (passive filter by @solderdude is helpful for many recordings), but along the new listening experience I had somehow developed a taste for more - a few weeks ago I purchased the T1's (gen2). Can't stop listening to these now, such a joy. Sound is both refined and lush. Large symphony orchestra sounds terrific, as does chamber and vocal music.

solderdude---I've got $200/$300 to spend, what sealed back 'phones do I want? My biggest sonic challenge these days is Bruckner. The mass brass climaxes that blow up in every single movement easily become oversaturated and distorted. I've heard far fewer problems with pop and rock, but brassy classical is the worst.

The T1's are awesome for Bruckner. Beyond the budget you mentioned, but well worth it imho.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ha, these were exactly my very first headphones, Sony MDR-CD250 - also bought in the 90s.
Very comfortable ones, but I gave them away when I got the Sennheiser HD580's. Back then I didn't know yet one can properly own more than one headphone at the same time :)

Also had two consecutive Shure IEM's (different models) for commuting. Both went bust soon after warranty expired.

After having spent nearly two decades with the HD580's, I bought a Beyerdynamic DT-880 (600 Ohm).
Very nice (passive filter by @solderdude is helpful for many recordings), but along the new listening experience I had somehow developed a taste for more - a few weeks ago I purchased the T1's (gen2). Can't stop listening to these now, such a joy. Sound is both refined and lush. Large symphony orchestra sounds terrific, as does chamber and vocal music.

The T1's are awesome for Bruckner. Beyond the budget you mentioned, but well worth it imho.
Sorry, when you say "T1" you are speaking of?

Thalis

Yes they were my first "serious" headphones back then. I did have to replace the pads as the original ones deteriorated over the years. Not easy to find :confused:. Did you enjoy their sound?

Top Bottom