• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any interest in a budget ($100-200) subwoofer “shootout”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hey, guys. I’m considering ordering a few different budget-friendly powered subwoofers from Amazon and conducting a shootout of sorts to kind of give my YouTube channel a good kick in the butt. FR and max SPL data (CEA-2010, most likely) will be part of the data set. Is there any interest from you guys in this sort of thing?

I am specifically targeting Amazon because I want to test the most common subs. The kind where someone says “I need a subwoofer this weekend, so let’s see what Amazon Prime has”. And with Prime, I can send them back without eating the full cost. These are the ones I have keyed in on:

Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer
Klipsch Reference R-10SW
Elac SUB1010
Sony SACS9 10-Inch Active Subwoofer
Yamaha NS-SW100BL 10"

These are all 10-inch subwoofers. That just seems to be what is in this target price range. I am trying to keep the list relatively small and limited to the best sellers. I plan to test them all the exact same day so the test conditions are all 100% the same. And if this has enough positive feedback then maybe I can expand the test to 12" subs. As it is, these 5 would be close to $1k and that's quite an investment (if only temporary) but if there is one that really needs to be considered then I might add it or replace one of the ones above.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Erin, are these sponsored links? If so, please delete them.

if they are, they are not intentionally. I didn't click the amazon affiliate link (short link), specifically avoided that because of your PM last month. I just clicked the link from the web address bar.

Edit: I logged out of Amazon and got the links again. Should be affiliate-free. If they still show the affiliate then I got nothin'.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally not too interested in such "subs" but could be interesting, maybe for budget recommendations....

Not a big fan of retailer links generally for looking at product details other than price anyways, so:
Polk PSW 10
Klipsch R-10SW
Elac Sub 1010
Sony SACS9
Yamaha NS-SW100

Was going to suggest the Dayton/Monoprice offerings, too, but as Monoprice only has their own page to work with:
Dayton SUB1000

ps Well dang thought I fixed that SUB1000 link to the SUB1000 instead of the SUB1000L.....but here it is https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1049/sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really interested in that!
If there was a cheapo to go with Aria 906, that would be nice!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'll throw that Dayton in the possible pile.

I am quite interested in the Yamaha. It looks sleek and seems like something that would be an 'impulse' buy for some people.

The Polk having the front-firing port seems like a nice plus for someone wanting to stick the speaker in the corner of their living room.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

Amazon shows it's delayed delivery. And it's a 12". But, I like it... and it's right on the edge of that budget range. I'll keep an eye on it. If not this round, then maybe a future round.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, guys. I’m considering ordering a few different budget-friendly powered subwoofers from Amazon and conducting a shootout of sorts to kind of give my YouTube channel a good kick in the butt. FR and max SPL data (CEA-2010, most likely) will be part of the data set. Is there any interest from you guys in this sort of thing?

I am specifically targeting Amazon because I want to test the most common subs. The kind where someone says “I need a subwoofer this weekend, so let’s see what Amazon Prime has”. And with Prime, I can send them back without eating the full cost. These are the ones I have keyed in on:

Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer
Klipsch Reference R-10SW
Elac SUB1010
Sony SACS9 10-Inch Active Subwoofer
Yamaha NS-SW100BL 10"

These are all 10-inch subwoofers. That just seems to be what is in this target price range. I am trying to keep the list relatively small and limited to the best sellers. I plan to test them all the exact same day so the test conditions are all 100% the same. And if this has enough positive feedback then maybe I can expand the test to 12" subs. As it is, these 5 would be close to $1k and that's quite an investment (if only temporary) but if there is one that really needs to be considered then I might add it or replace one of the ones above.

Thoughts?
I know it's over budget but a I'd like to see the JBL LSR 310s, due to its XLR IOs with highpass for the sats.Would be a perfect companion to small active monitors.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Yamaha's blurb talking about servo and the port makes it interesting, but I fear that unlike the SW200/300, the amplifier will be the bottleneck.
Personally, I'd say we lack data about subs in general, so I can't say I'm not interested.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be interested in creating a subwoofer index similar to amir's speaker index across wide range of prices. Then see where there is a large group that measure well to tell me what the price to perfomace "sweet spot" is. Looking at just one price range is too narrow a view and will not really give an understanding of value proposition. For example if I look at the speaker index attribute comparison graph there is a large cluster of recommended speakers with high preference ratings around the $800+$1000 range. And a large cluster of not recommended poor scoring speakers in the $100-$400 range.

That tells me I want a shootout in the $800-$1000 per speaker category. Not the $100-$400 category.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I would be interested in creating a subwoofer index similar to amir's speaker index across wide range of prices. Then see where there is a large group that measure well to tell me what the price to perfomace "sweet spot" is. Looking at just one price range is too narrow a view and will not really give an understanding of value proposition. For example if I look at the speaker index attribute comparison graph there is a large cluster of recommended speakers with high preference ratings around the $800+$1000 range. And a large cluster of not recommended poor scoring speakers in the $100-$400 range.

That tells me I want a shootout in the $800-$1000 per speaker category. Not the $100-$400 category.
There's databass already, but it's small and mostly DIY models or US only brands.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
What got me interested in this idea initially was a friend of mine asked me my input on a small sub woofer for his living room. So I did what most people do and I pulled up Amazon to see what was available in his budget. I was overwhelmed by the number of subs in that price range and that got me thinking that we need solid data to help us make a determination and to weed through all the fluff. That’s why I call it a shoot out. Take some of the more popular ones objectively.

FWIW, He wound up purchasing a Sony sound bar and wireless sub set up from Walmart. LOL

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a good idea to see about adding it to Amir's plate if he can measure them accurately with his system. I think picking a size range rather than price range would be a better starting point. Because we are learning with his speaker index that there is a bunch of stuff that is not worth your money in the lower price range and you are better saving up to get into a certain price point.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It's a good idea to see about adding it to Amir's plate if he can measure them accurately with his system. I think picking a size range rather than price range would be a better starting point. Because we are learning with his speaker index that there is a bunch of stuff that is not worth your money in the lower price range and you are better saving up to get into a certain price point.
He already said in the Rythmik review that he can't do CEA-2010 because it'll annoy the neighbors and probably wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom