• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

_Bass

So, are we saying 8030C is no good for home theater setup due to it being a "desktop speaker" and sounding small from a distance? If you couple them with a couple of subs is that still the case?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, are we saying 8030C is no good for home theater setup due to it being a "desktop speaker" and sounding small from a distance? If you couple them with a couple of subs is that still the case?

I don't think they don't sound small or bright. The other user may have misconfigured his bass settings.

It's a 5" speaker though. Probably not enough for home theater mains if you want clean output.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It depends on your listening distance. They never sounded small to me with or without a sub. I use them as TV/living room speakers combined with a 10" sealed subwoofer. I wouldn't use them as mains in a larger theater though, that would be asking too much of a what ultimately is only a 5" woofer.

radio3

Genelec are like the dream audio equipment company. I can’t believe how useful, detailed, and honest all the info they provide is. Also how they have zero gimmicks and never cut corners anywhere in the products themselves. Heartening to see a just strandup and straight forward company do as well as they do. I guess some of it is the difference between pro audio and home audiophilia. Products for pros are for people who have dedicated their lives to music and sound and whose livelihoods depend on doing it well. Home audio is as much about romance and image as it is about sound itself, maybe. In a way, they’re polar opposites. In home audio you’ll see people,waxing poetic about thousand dollar cables with “warm” sound, but you’ll never see detailed guides like this candidly detailing every last aspect of performance.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec are like the dream audio equipment company. I can’t believe how useful, detailed, and honest all the info they provide is. Also how they have zero gimmicks and never cut corners anywhere in the products themselves. Heartening to see a just strandup and straight forward company do as well as they do. I guess some of it is the difference between pro audio and home audiophilia. Products for pros are for people who have dedicated their lives to music and sound and whose livelihoods depend on doing it well. Home audio is as much about romance and image as it is about sound itself, maybe. In a way, they’re polar opposites. In home audio you’ll see people,waxing poetic about thousand dollar cables with “warm” sound, but you’ll never see detailed guides like this candidly detailing every last aspect of performance.

They're the gold standard(imo).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Is there an equivalent in electronics? RME?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Also, a long product lifecycle because they rewrite the SOTA in their designs the first time round, and then only need make minute revisions (eg. power-saving electronics). The 8030/40/50 came out in 2004 and have stayed almost identical since but are still excellent. And then the next big change was the 8351A (and the short-lived transitional 8260A), bringing with it a fundamental rethink of speaker design.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I am using one size bigger for my living room home theather. I use 8340 as LCR and 8330 as surrounds with 2 SVS SB-12 NSD. I am sitting 3.5 meters from the screen. I am super happy on the way it sounds in my non optimal living room (big glass doors to the terrace). Movies are excellent and I would say even better than my local cinema hall. I also had similar doubts. I asked experts in this forum. I read a forum member using JBL LSR705P at 4 meters and he was happy.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am using one size bigger for my living room home theather. I use 8340 as LCR and 8330 as surrounds with 2 SVS SB-12 NSD. I am sitting 3.5 meters from the screen. I am super happy on the way it sounds in my non optimal living room (big glass doors to the terrace). Movies are excellent and I would say even better than my local cinema hall. I also had similar doubts. I asked experts in this forum. I read a forum member using JBL LSR705P at 4 meters and he was happy.

I'd think the 705's at 4m might be at the far edge, or maybe that member doesn't need them to play very loud. 5" vs 8" woofer makes a big difference at higher volumes. I have 708's across the front and 705's everywhere else. The 708's can handle that distance very nicely for me...but I also tend to listen at higher volumes than many. Normal news/TV level listening up to fairly loud, I couldn't tell them apart.

_Bass

It depends on your listening distance. They never sounded small to me with or without a sub. I use them as TV/living room speakers combined with a 10" sealed subwoofer. I wouldn't use them as mains in a larger theater though, that would be asking too much of a what ultimately is only a 5" woofer.

I am looking to build a living room home theater, listening distance is about 2.5m away. I thought paired with two subs should be more than enough output. My listening levels are typically at most -20 or even lower with TV content... Anything beyond that is too loud for me (apartment setup)

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking to build a living room home theater, listening distance is about 2.5m away. I thought paired with two subs should be more than enough output. Listening levels are typically -20 or lower with TV content.

Should be more than okay. I'm just over 3m on mine, listening also at approximately -20, but I go up to -12 at times.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec are like the dream audio equipment company. I can’t believe how useful, detailed, and honest all the info they provide is. Also how they have zero gimmicks and never cut corners anywhere in the products themselves ... I guess some of it is the difference between pro audio and home audiophilia. Products for pros are for people who have dedicated their lives to music and sound and whose livelihoods depend on doing it well.

Agreed, even though I'm not a Genelec user. My golden rule: always shop where engineers are selling to other engineers.

¥€$

Got the 8030Cs today. I first replaced the Revel M16 in my living room with these - miniDsp xover at 80Hz with a B&W tiny sub. First impressions were - bright & small sounding; the word "shrill" comes to mind. I didn't adjust any tone controls on the Genelecs. There was more "air" to the highs. I know - sue me, but I don't know how else to describe it. Very clear sounding overall. This was very easy and quick - the Revels back on the stands right away. The Genelecs sound small and boxy compared to the Revels.

Now they are sitting on my computer desk replacing B&W MM-1 (I've had these for almost a decade I think). Desk has tempered glass top. Boomy bass but the smallishness is gone prolly cos my ears are 3-4 feet away. Adjusted the tone controls as recommended for the "Desktop" situation in the manual. Its a lot better.

I won't even bother comparing with 708Ps. Plus it will mean re-running Dirac calibration so I don't have much incentive - these will not match the SPL and dynamics.

Annoyances:
- I have a longish RCA-XLR adapter and it interferes with pushing the stand back for inclination. RCA-XLR cables are on their way so this should not be a problem I hope.
- Dip switches - really? Feels so '80s. But whatever, they work. Had to go find a tiny tool to reach them as they are recessed.
- I hate toggle power switches. This is a button. One of the speakers came powered on so when I plugged it in, a disconcerting thump. Not a good first experience. Its so easy to toggle it when fiddling with the back side - safe thing would be to unplug the power cord. Poor lazy design IMO. These are not cheap monitors.
- Manual is unclear about the sensitivity setting. The lowest -6db is the default setting. It gets far too loud with my Khadas Tone Board Dac even with Windows volume at 10. I am afraid to adjust this - don't want to blow it up. Not necessarily Genelec's fault if this is obvious to pro users.

Overall - they are good for computer speakers, for me.

Hope that helps.

Small speakers will inevitably sound small no matter the brand, but even the 8050 would sound best in nearfield, if 8040 is any indication. The sweet spot of the tweeters is also pretty narrow so make sure they are always pointed directly at you, at ear level. Right now on the desktop they dont seem to be.

If the sensitivity setting works the same as with the 7300 series subs, then it works like a signal attenuator. +db decreases sensitivity and -db increases, so at 0db setting the 8000 series speakers will use the professional sensitivity level, +10db I think.

The desktop switch really is a must if they are less than a meter above a hard flat surface. The G series has much better controls for room EQ though, and the bigger models can easily be integrated with the "pro" models thanks to the +10db switch, and they have balanced inputs also. IMO the G4-5 are superior to their pro counterparts, the only drawback is the large price difference.

That might be the case. Every time I have gotten "better" speakers, they appear bright at first and then ... my ears break in. Or something like that. This is all getting too subjetivy for my taste. I have 30 days to return, so no rush. Thanks to sweetwater.

The flatter the frequency curve, the brighter they will sound at first if you've gotten used to speakers that roll-off high frequencies sooner.

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The flatter the frequency curve, the brighter they will sound at first if you've gotten used to speakers that roll-off high frequencies sooner.

I have my main system (708P) targeting the Harman curve and my living room has M16 which I believe uses the same curve. So you are right, I am used to roll off at the higher frequencies. With the "Desktop" setting on the 8030C and now with the treble tilt (see graph below), I think I have hit the sweet spot. Crystal clear music with no harshness.

Capture.JPG

Sprint

Forum Donor
Got the 8030Cs today. I first replaced the Revel M16 in my living room with these - miniDsp xover at 80Hz with a B&W tiny sub. First impressions were - bright & small sounding; the word "shrill" comes to mind. I didn't adjust any tone controls on the Genelecs. There was more "air" to the highs. I know - sue me, but I don't know how else to describe it. Very clear sounding overall. This was very easy and quick - the Revels back on the stands right away. The Genelecs sound small and boxy compared to the Revels.

Now they are sitting on my computer desk replacing B&W MM-1 (I've had these for almost a decade I think). Desk has tempered glass top. Boomy bass but the smallishness is gone prolly cos my ears are 3-4 feet away. Adjusted the tone controls as recommended for the "Desktop" situation in the manual. Its a lot better.

I won't even bother comparing with 708Ps. Plus it will mean re-running Dirac calibration so I don't have much incentive - these will not match the SPL and dynamics.

Annoyances:
- I have a longish RCA-XLR adapter and it interferes with pushing the stand back for inclination. RCA-XLR cables are on their way so this should not be a problem I hope.
- Dip switches - really? Feels so '80s. But whatever, they work. Had to go find a tiny tool to reach them as they are recessed.
- I hate toggle power switches. This is a button. One of the speakers came powered on so when I plugged it in, a disconcerting thump. Not a good first experience. Its so easy to toggle it when fiddling with the back side - safe thing would be to unplug the power cord. Poor lazy design IMO. These are not cheap monitors.
- Manual is unclear about the sensitivity setting. The lowest -6db is the default setting. It gets far too loud with my Khadas Tone Board Dac even with Windows volume at 10. I am afraid to adjust this - don't want to blow it up. Not necessarily Genelec's fault if this is obvious to pro users.

Overall - they are good for computer speakers, for me.

Hope that helps.

My experience is different. I transitioned from large floor standers Yamaha Ns-777 as Front LR and surrounds, NS-444Cs center to Genelec 8340 as LCR and 8330 as surrounds. The SQ dramatically was superb with Genelecs compared to the floor standers (with and without GLM). NS-777 was bass heavy and midrange was not precise and clear. The midrange details could not be compared to Genelec even though NS-777 also had good waveguides. The instrument separation, clarity and details was like a night and day. Unfortunately, there are no measurements in NS-777 in the net.

Also the RCA-XLR cable matters. Earlier I had an pure XLR cable, Neutrik adapter from XLR to RCA and then a short RCA cable. Then I shifter to pure XLR cable, and a short XLR-RCA able. With the latter, the SQ was even better and different.

Before switching to Genelecs, I also tried KS-Digital C-88 and did a AB comparison with Yamaha NS-777. even they were way better than Yamaha even their small size. In my experience, the small size of speakers need not sound smaller. Both Genelecs and KS were loud enough in my room with a much better SQ than Yamahas.

Attached are some photos in one of the posts below.

Last edited:

radio3

I have the exact same listening distance in European flat (higher ceilings than US). Thanks for sharing speaker sizing choice. Just out of curiosity, what size screen do you use for that distance? I'm debating 65" OLED (small side for distance) vs an UST projector. They're about the same price but OLED has better PQ and projector larger display.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I have the exact same listening distance in European flat (higher ceilings than US). Thanks for sharing speaker sizing choice. Just out of curiosity, what size screen do you use for that distance? I'm debating 65" OLED (small side for distance) vs an UST projector. They're about the same price but OLED has better PQ and projector larger display.
My screen size is 300 cm or 120'' diagonal. I live in Europe as well so lower ceiling height. Attached are some picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6677.jpg
    IMG_6677.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_6678.jpg
    IMG_6678.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 529

Colonel Bogey

Is there an equivalent in electronics? RME?

Both Genelec and RME are role models in openness, honesty and customer interaction. So far with both companies, if I have to ask a question, I quickly get an insightful and useful answer.

It's quite a contrast to companies that hide away data and go to great lenghts NOT to be directly reachable. I hate when, what I believe to be honest, competent engineering companies at heart, release only useless specs and a Facebook "like us on social media" button on their web page.

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My screen size is 300 cm or 120'' diagonal. I live in Europe as well so lower ceiling height. Attached are some picture.

Love the clean setup. The LCR Genelecs almost look like wireless speakers. I need to move to Europe.

Top Bottom