• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Talking Smack About Amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Oh yeah you're going to win them over to the "light" real quickly by saying they belong to a cult and calling them "audiophools"....

:facepalm:
Some guys pay good money to be humiliated, my pending inheritance is testimony to that fact..

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Some guys pay good money to be humiliated, my pending inheritance is testimony to that fact..

spanking-tatler-23sep13_alamy_b.jpg

win

On a serious note, Paul calling out Amir as incorrect, without a single note about what is incorrect, is just pure ad hominem. Indeed, if I were to create a class on logical fallacies, I would show that video as a textbook example.

of course, Paul proclaims that his audioquest cables sound better in the same video. A claim that has been disproved so many times now that it makes flat earthers look smart.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From YouTube you mean? I didn't know this. Does the person posting the YouTube video have the ability to delete comments they don't like?
Yes and Paul has a video saying he deletes comments he doesn't like.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So the lynch mob did not actually set foot outside, but instead stayed in the town hall and ate pizza and pork topped or stuffed with pineapple, and drank beer and partied all night?

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.? None from me for PMcG. Yes, he is a businessman, and yes he is just doing his job. But a YT video laced with unproven hints about the superiority of your own products, and with unproven innuendo and aspersions about other people's competence, is not going to win my respect.

OTOH, I do not get worked up about such a video, I ignore it. Yes, my self-identity is partly tied up in being a science, math and engineering nerd, along with my tastes in music, movies, philosophy, etc. However, I am confident that the forward march of science will continue. Amir's approach will win out in the long run. Reliable competent measurements of commercial audio gear interpreted in terms of a scientific theory, incidentally exposing bad players along the way, will carry the day, without any resort to futile name-calling matches that resolve no disputes. Even the Catholic Church relented in the 20th century, and finally absolved Galileo Galilei of his sins. So YT videos like that one do not yank my chain.

Frances Elizabeth Allen. Respect. Much respect. Also just doing her job.
Born 1932/08/04. Died 2020/08/04 at age 88. Dates and age divisible by 2 and by 2 to the power of 2. Odd? Not even!
The Turing Award (from the Assoc. for Computing Machinery?) is the equivalent in Computer Science of a Nobel Prize in other subjects and a Fields Medal in math. Though not as widely known.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's their profile, for a increasing amount of people ASR and being ' objective ' has become a key part of their identity, so a company like PSA kinda ' attacks ' their ' self ' .
This explains a lot of what goes on online and to a reasonable person seems kinda wack . It's down to identity and how we project ourselves imo .

You , like me don't really use these exterior things to form our self image..

What amuses me is this is not ' objective ' behaviour, and more over the lack of self awareness that must be present to enable these identity crisis episodes to go unchecked is another thing that undermines the validity of this self image.

I'm glad that ASR creates discussion about PSA. I help out at r/budgetaudiophile, and I cringe when people say they're going to get the PS Sprout 100, when you know $700 is a lot of money to them (and especially when they're going to pair it with $250 speakers and a $100 turntable).

But they buy into the brand reputation, and people that have already bought it without realizing they're paying a premium, encourage them to go ahead. It's the blind leading the blind.

On a side note, gotta love the Google search return copy PSA has for the Sprout,

The PS Audio Sprout100 is one of the best-sounding, minimalist amps built for the ...

Exactly who voted it "best"? lol

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I think the Sprout is alright. Has anyone else managed to equal its list of funtions in a small well styled package? That its not sota in measuments seems an inevitable consequence of stuffing so much stuff in a tiny box.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kokishin

Forum Donor

Tachyon88

With his looks and speech pattern, Paul kinda reminds me of a current presidential candidate.

"Come on man!"

haha, I would imagine his stories are actually true though. Also he can string together sentences and articulate his thoughts. Everything else, sure. lol

"You ain't audiophile !"

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

But it's OK, at the next Audio Show where both you and PSA are exhibiting, you can tell him in person, at the bar, how much "nonsense"* he talks and what a "moron"** he is. That should be funny to watch and a lot braver than from behind an internet connection.

Your quotes. Posts #18 and #13

No John I would first politely ask him to justify his statements both technical and regarding Amirs competence.

When he can't the point will be made and yes then I would call him a moron. It's moronic to say things that are demonstrably untrue. The intelligent thing to do at this juncture would have been to set about improving the technical performance of his products.

You seem to be missing the point. It was Paul that decided to go into the public domain and unjustifiably insult Amir, so don't make out that anyone else is the bad guy here. I'm struggling to understand your position. As such he is fair game for legitimate criticism for his comments.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me the interesting question regarding PS Audio is not whether they will publish measurements of their current devices (highly unlikely b/c zero upside), but whether they are capable of creating a well-measuring product. Let's say they take a page out of Schiit's playbook and decide to produce a speaker amp or DAC that is for the "measurement crowd." Do we think they could accomplish it? And when I say "accomplish" I mean it cannot be a science project - they have to design and manufacture the product in a reasonable amount of time and price it somewhat competitively.

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I enjoy his videos. As a noob it fast tracked many answers to questions I had going into speakers and raised questions I had never thought to ask.

Whats funny is I have literally never researched their products.

I do want to see his data contrasted with ASR since he brought it up.

But .... but .... but .... very much of what he says in those videos is total B.S. I only looked at a couple of them. It was all I could stand. Since so much of what he says is crap, you have no way of knowing what part of it is crap and what part of it is legit. The safe course of action for you to take is to erase from memory everything that you learned from him and start over fresh. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious.

cistercian

Forum Donor
But .... but .... but .... very much of what he says in those videos is total B.S. I only looked at a couple of them. It was all I could stand. Since so much of what he says is crap, you have no way of knowing what part of it is crap and what part of it is legit. The safe course of action for you to take is to erase from memory everything that you learned from him and start over fresh. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious.
Excellent advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom