• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Talking Smack About Amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I actually welcome PS Audio "talking smack" about Amir. It means they have taken notice. It means that is slowly dawning to more than a few, that High End audio is BS. No! the war is not over. Just one look at some sites talking enthusiastically about the sound of Ethernet Switches, routers, cables and computers, will let you know that a large constituency continue to believe ... Still, ASR and its methodology are gaining ground. The enthusiast's focus will go toward the speakers, their interface to the room and DSP in the years to come... There is no going back.
Last but not least.. I believe that the PS Audio people know how to measure. They're perpetuating the BS because it makes them money. In these times of transparent $9 DAC and $500, 500 w/ch high fidelity amplifier modules .. only BS and falsehood can sell a 20 w/ch pair of monoblocks for $140,000...

Peace.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's exactly my point.

That being said, I don't care if people want spend more money on their hi fi and get little for it.

If they like it, no skin off my back if they make different decisions than I would have.

After all, while I don't own any fancy cables, I own both a turntable and 2 x reel-to-reel decks. So I'm in no position to cast stones at wasting money on bad performing gear.
I only cast stones at people who condescendingly tell others that their expensive garbage is aurally superior to, say, Topping DACs or TI chip amps. This type of behavior seems to exist only in the worlds of audio and wine.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I only cast stones at people who condescendingly tell others that their expensive garbage is aurally superior to, say, Topping DACs or TI chip amps. This type of behavior seems to exist only in the worlds of audio and wine.

Since you used the word "aurally", here's the rub:

Placebo effects are real.

So if they think it sounds better, it might actually sound better.....in their minds.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sorry the guy had to be put down; was the boar OK? :)

1598716593201.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Part of it is Paul's down-home know-it-all public persona.
Speaking of which -- and I am (nearly) PS Audio agnostic (but obviously not quite!) -- so many of his videos... contain statements that are just plain (how can I put this delicately & diplomatically?) not correct. :confused:
Wait -- isn't this where mechanical wrist watches usually come up, too?
;)

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of which -- and I am (nearly) PS Audio agnostic (but obviously not quite!) -- so many of his videos... contain statements that are just plain (how can I put this delicately & diplomatically?) not correct. :confused:
My view is that one should not be delicate or diplomatic with BS vendors, in audio or any other domain.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait -- isn't this where mechanical wrist watches usually come up, too?
;)
Wearing one now....
Mechanical wristwatch enthusiasts never assert that their watches are more accurate then cheap quartz watches or cell phone clocks.

I have heard them say that they need something with "soul" on their wrists, and if they want to blow money on that shit, that's fine with me. I don't wear jewelry to make myself more appealing to men who are middle-aged and older.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
It's a smart move on his part.

If there is any thing social media has taught us, it's that tribalism is powerful, us vs them is bonding, outrage culture is bonding, and all of this tends to overrule logic and truth.

He can capitalize on any anti-ASR sentiment by tagging ASR as the foe and create fan bonding in doing so.
Sad but true....and has become exponentially ( used figuratively, so don’t get your panties in a jam) abused to the point that no opinion or point made cannot be returned with base lies and statistically unsupportable evidence and still ring true to the individual who refuses to accept anything that differs from there own beliefs...and though it’s nice to think that ASR is opening eyes, for the most part, people will only view what they believe, and ignore the posts they don’t. Per example...some watch Fox News, some watch CNN, but rarely do they watch both, going to the source that reenforces what they want to believe.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have heard them say that they need something with "soul" on their wrists, and if they want to blow money on that shit, that's fine with me. I don't wear jewelry to make myself more appealing to men who are middle-aged and older.
So -- does the "soul" thing not work for hifi components?

1598717379536.png

DSC_4298 (2).JPG

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't wear jewelry to make myself more appealing to men who are middle-aged and older.

It's not all jewelry.

I don't wear dress watches.

I only wear over-engineered tool watches and dive watches that can stand up to my physical activities and get beat up.

Of course, it's still an irrational choice compared to a G-shock.

But G-shocks are boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom