• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung to support "IP control" and quick calibration for their TVs

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Finally we are moving out of stone ages and not needing to put IR emitters in front of TVs to control them. Instead we can talk to them over the network as it should have been years ago. At least in the case of Samsung 4K TVs: http://www.cepro.com/article/samsun...tm_campaign=content&eid=344670505&bid=1858143

“The IP-command support is comprehensive and includes discrete commands for launching the leading streaming-content services [without any lag time], plus complete Smart Hub control,” a spokesman said.

"With IP control and drivers that support auto-discovery and [Control4] SDDP, configuration time is dramatically reduced,” he continued. “This is really helpful when the installer has to set up hundreds of devices on a network. “ Much less cabling is also involved because command signals and A/V are able to pass over IP, he adds.​

And auto-programming of calibration parameters for video using Calman. Panasonic has offered this for a long time but of course they are not in TV business anymore so good to see Samsung supporting it:

With its 2017 QLED 4K TVs, Samsung speeds up installers’ work flow in another way: by automating 4K HDR calibration and reducing it to 1/5th the time of manual calibration, the spokesman said. “CalMAN with AutoCal communicates directly with the TV with little human intervention,” he continues.

"Calibration still requires a connection to a PC running CalMAN software, but now it bypasses the TV’s OSD steps and directly adjusts color, white balance and other picture quality parameters automatically,” the spokesman continued. “You do need a colorimeter that connects to the PC to make the measurements needed to make the adjustments, but it’s a significantly faster operation.”​

This makes calibration super fast and with no labor involved.

Really good moves on behalf of Samsung, even though it is long overdue.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I agree. Now, if Samsung could start making OLED TVs with Dolby Vision....
...And, get back to the feature of the future; 3D.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
It's just too bad. Panasonic, Sony and LG are ahead in the performance of the best TVs today. QLED is simply not competitive, from my various readings.
Sure, it looks nice @ the store, and some dealers are pushing it. Are they right? No way, they are not, they are aggressively out of touch with customer's respect.
Samsung is stubborn, in my opinion.
_____

I am not an expert, I'm just reading the experts.

Calibrating a TV requires technical tools and trained expert eyes. Can a TV do that on its own by talking to her? Can a stereo sound system calibrate itself? Yes, today with DSP it sure is feasible...up to an extent; preference of each source over standard reference that don't exist from one studio to the next.

Oh, it's cool, real cool talking to our computers, phones, TVS, ... and cars, but it needs the right hardware and software to optimize @ best.
Does Samsung have what it takes?

Who he/she is in control of AI, with full perfection, is ruling this world. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Poor Apple who is the only supplier of their type of phone, and, by their hoard of cash, would appear to be pricing them ambitiously, complaining about Samsung being the only supplier of their phone screen, and the high price Samsung has negotiated.

Oh, the irony.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...pany-debt-than-the-world-s-biggest-bond-funds

"The iPhone-maker has $148 billion of its record $257 billion cash pile invested in corporate debt alone, according to a company filing from Wednesday. That’s enough to buy all the assets in the world’s largest fixed-income mutual fund, the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund, which has about $145 billion of assets including company, government and mortgage bonds."

That $36.71 for every person on earth. Nice haul!

Samsung: $69b a year ago.

https://www.sammobile.com/2016/09/22/samsungs-cash-reserves-hit-a-record-high-of-69-billion/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, I am not shedding one tear for Apple. I am confident they have screwed countless vendors who supply them parts out of profits given their volume and prestige of being designed into iPhone.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My brother got a new Samsung TV when his still under warranty unit would only show blue colors.

Well, it happened to be the time of the hurricane over Florida. He couldn't get the new set to initialize because it was requiring firmware updates etc. The server was always unreachable. Then we find out Samsung servers for this were in Tampa Bay and the server facility had lost power and flooded a bit. In a few days his TV connected and everything went smoothly after that. So this can be a mixed blessing of course. Lesson to Samsung, have more than one server location.

Top Bottom