• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Keep Topping DX3 pro or get new DAC plus AMP

asif_fisa

Hello guys, I have been lurking and reading various threads on here for a while and finally decided to make a thread about something that has been bugging me for weeks now.

So I got myself a DX3 pro(my first ever DAC/AMP) last month to pair it with my HD650. Now I did enjoy the sound and it has been an enjoyable listen to far. But I have had buyer's remorse and recently got the chance to listen to the Modi multibit and Asgard 3 combo and I was totally immersed by different it sounded to my DX3 pro standalone set up or even the DX3 pro plus Asgard 3 combination.

Now the shop I bought it from said I can exchange the DX3 pro with any of the other DACs they have at the moment like Multibit or topping's own D30 or D50s( I don't care much for Bluetooth or remote control much). The difference in price would be negligible. But the real conflict starts when I am thinking whether to invest another 300 USD into a dedicated AMP like Asgard 3 or SMSL SP200 or even the Darkvoice tube amp( I still haven't heard the last one mind you, but will get the chance to test it out soon)

So my question is, is it worth it for a n00b like me getting into Audiophile equipment for the first time to further invest in a 300 USD amp and DAC or just stick to my DX3 pro and think about further upgrades down the line maybe in a year or two?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Sennheiser 300-Ohm HD600/HD650/HD6XX headphones are considered to do better with more power (voltage), so I say to go for the Schiit Asgard or Darkvoice 336SE.

OP
A

asif_fisa

The Sennheiser 300-Ohm HD600/HD650/HD6XX headphones are considered to do better with more power (voltage), so I say to go for the Schiit Asgard or Darkvoice 336SE.
Thanks a lot for replying. That was my initial thought as well but then I started reading some amazing reviews about the SMSL SP200 and now in a real state of confusion. Have you got any experience with the SP200?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If I have my maff right, the DX3pro will output a maximum of 6 Vrms into 300 ohms in high gain mode. That's as much as an O2. Should be good for about 119 dB SPL with HD650s. That's more than even a conservative 110 dB SPL minimum (most people are happy with 103-106 dB from their speakers!). Even as a loud listener you should never need more than a few Vrms with these cans. So what's the point of moar powah?

But I have had buyer's remorse and recently got the chance to listen to the Modi multibit and Asgard 3 combo and I was totally immersed by different it sounded to my DX3 pro standalone set up or even the DX3 pro plus Asgard 3 combination.
If one DAC sounds much different from another competent example, either
a) it really sucks or
b) you're fooling yourself.

Re: (a), measurements indicate mediocre distortion but otherwise fairly good performance for the Modi Multibit. (Linearity actually looks good for a multibit, so I suspect it's the I/V / output stage that has some issues.) No idea what happens beyond 0 dBFS, and it seems a good idea to run this one at 88.2/96 kHz, but I'm absolutely not sure that I could even pick this one out in a controlled listening test.

Which brings us to (b). Fooling yourself is extremely easy. Expectation bias, mismatched levels, .... there are many ways of producing invalid results in a listening test. If you can't do a direct A/B comparison with levels matched to within 0.3 dB or better 0.1 dB, you may as well be comparing apples and oranges.

You should be out there rediscovering your music collection or maybe diversifying your headphone options instead of worrying about the end of the signal chain that (generally) makes precious little difference if implemented half-decently. Audiophile disease, man. :rolleyes:

twsecrest

Thanks a lot for replying. That was my initial thought as well but then I started reading some amazing reviews about the SMSL SP200 and now in a real state of confusion. Have you got any experience with the SP200?
I'm not a fan of SMSL products, bought their DACs years ago, they did not work for very long.

OP
A

asif_fisa

If I have my maff right, the DX3pro will output a maximum of 6 Vrms into 300 ohms in high gain mode. That's as much as an O2. Should be good for about 119 dB SPL with HD650s. That's more than even a conservative 110 dB SPL minimum (most people are happy with 103-106 dB from their speakers!). Even as a loud listener you should never need more than a few Vrms with these cans. So what's the point of moar powah?

If one DAC sounds much different from another competent example, either
a) it really sucks or
b) you're fooling yourself.

Re: (a), measurements indicate mediocre distortion but otherwise fairly good performance for the Modi Multibit. (Linearity actually looks good for a multibit, so I suspect it's the I/V / output stage that has some issues.) No idea what happens beyond 0 dBFS, and it seems a good idea to run this one at 88.2/96 kHz, but I'm absolutely not sure that I could even pick this one out in a controlled listening test.

Which brings us to (b). Fooling yourself is extremely easy. Expectation bias, mismatched levels, .... there are many ways of producing invalid results in a listening test. If you can't do a direct A/B comparison with levels matched to within 0.3 dB or better 0.1 dB, you may as well be comparing apples and oranges.

You should be out there rediscovering your music collection or maybe diversifying your headphone options instead of worrying about the end of the signal chain that (generally) makes precious little difference if implemented half-decently. Audiophile disease, man. :rolleyes:
Profound indeed. Especially that last paragraph. I guess I am just something of a mirage here. Looking for gratification where there is none or just a classic case of not wanting to 'settle'

bravomail

Hello guys, I have been lurking and reading various threads on here for a while and finally decided to make a thread about something that has been bugging me for weeks now.
Indulge you GAS! :)
Though your choices are questionable at best.
I'd get Schiit Modi 3 and Magni 3 and call it a day.

twsecrest

Profound indeed. Especially that last paragraph. I guess I am just something of a mirage here. Looking for gratification where there is none or just a classic case of not wanting to 'settle'
One difference that will be talked about, when it comes to DACs.
That one will sound more detailed in the sound, while another DAC might be described as more musical.

Sukie

Forum Donor
One difference that will be talked about, when it comes to DACs.
That one will sound more detailed in the sound, while another DAC might be described as more musical.
I have no idea what that means. I'm listening, at this moment, to music that is both detailed and musical. The DAC is doing its job by giving me detail and musicality, as I would expect unless its broken or badly designed.

AnalogSteph is spot on. Enjoy the music and don't worry about non measurable (or non audible) differenetiations in DACs.

cistercian

Forum Donor

So I got myself a DX3 pro(my first ever DAC/AMP) last month to pair it with my HD650. Now I did enjoy the sound and it has been an enjoyable listen to far. But I have had buyer's remorse and recently got the chance to listen to the Modi multibit and Asgard 3 combo and I was totally immersed by different it sounded to my DX3 pro standalone set up or even the DX3 pro plus Asgard 3 combination.

Now the shop I bought it from said I can exchange the DX3 pro with any of the other DACs they have at the moment like Multibit or topping's own D30 or D50s( I don't care much for Bluetooth or remote control much). The difference in price would be negligible. But the real conflict starts when I am thinking whether to invest another 300 USD into a dedicated AMP like Asgard 3 or SMSL SP200 or even the Darkvoice tube amp( I still haven't heard the last one mind you, but will get the chance to test it out soon)

So my question is, is it worth it for a n00b like me getting into Audiophile equipment for the first time to further invest in a 300 USD amp and DAC or just stick to my DX3 pro and think about further upgrades down the line maybe in a year or two?

Keep what you have and use it until it fails! Trying different headphones makes much more sense. Your DAC should be fine!
I looked at it's review here and it should be more than enough.

Top Bottom