• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best OS/server to stream Tidal/Qobuz via Raspberry PI

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I am presently using Volumio on a Raspberry Pi 4 to stream Tidal and it sucks!!!! But one feature Volumio has which I love is the Brutefir plugin for digital room correction (not a parametric or graphic equalizer). The Tidal inter phase is being re-written and I am willing to suffer until it is fixed. Are there any other o/s servers which offer digital room correction as a plug in?
Daphile has optional BruteFIR for its local player(s). There's also the old but apparently still working BrutefirDRC plugin for LogitechMediaServer that runs BruteFIR on the server, separately configurable for each client. I've not tried LMS Tidal support - I think it requires a free account at mysqueezebox.com in order to work.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recently got hold of a Raspberry Pi 4 and wanted to stream Qobuz. Tried Volumio but was disappointed. Following positive feedback here I installed Moode on the Pi and Bubble UPNP app on an Android device. I'm very pleased with the result.

I was using USB Audio Player Pro but that requires a fixed connection between dac and phone. The Moode/Bubble UPNP is more convenient.

shumi

I have to say my combo RPI4, Volumio, and Tidal just got a lot better since I chnaged my internet provider for higher speeds and upgraded to the new Volumio rev. DRC with Brutefir is awsome once you set it up correctly. Happy camper now.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I have to say my combo RPI4, Volumio, and Tidal just got a lot better since I chnaged my internet provider for higher speeds and upgraded to the new Volumio rev. DRC with Brutefir is awsome once you set it up correctly. Happy camper now.
To be fair to Volumio, the Qobuz integration was okay (better than the recent Tidal integration from what I gather on this thread). I just seem to prefer using my RP4 as a UPNP renderer. This then gives me flexibility regarding which UPNP app I use on my phone. I like the "feel" of the Bubble UPNP app as well.

Glad that Tidal on Volumio has improved though.

NDC

Funnily enough I just posted a little outline of how I setup my bedside listening rig on my site. But essentially - the solution I use is:

iPhone or iPad with tidal —> Airplay to raspberry pi4 running ropieeeXL —> USB to topping e30 —> RCA to topping l30

It works really well for me

Sukie

Forum Donor
Which is better for Qobuz? Volumio or Moode?
They are two different ways of using the RP.

Volumio handles everything for you, but there is a charge (just under 3 euros a month). Basically it integrates with Qobuz and handles everything. Moode doesn't do this with Qobuz. Moode acts a UPNP renderer and you need additional software (Bubble UPNP android app in my case) to operate it. Moode still does the streaming but you interact with the Bubble (or equivalent) app. It sounds complicated but it's not.

As to which is better. Sound quality wise I didn't notice a difference. Both Volumio and Moode offer a comprehensive audio set up.

What I didn't like about Volumio was the "playback interface" (I have no technical expertise and so I'm sure that this is the wrong phrase). I'm talking about the part of the process that I deal with when I'm playing music. Things seemed to get out of sync with the music that was being played. According to the playback interface I was on to track 2 of an album whilst track 1 was still playing. We're only taking about a few seconds, but that sort of thing annoys me. I must stress that this wasn't an actual playback issue - the music played seamlessly.

However there were times when the music randomly skipped on a track . These tended to be when I'd paused the track and restarted, or messed around in other ways!

All in all, I prefer Moode for Qobuz. You can use other apps to control it. Mconnect is mentioned on this thread. If you don't like the user interface on one app then you can use another. I know that Volumio can also be used as a UPNP renderer, but I don't think that this integrates with Qobuz - others may be able to comment.

Last edited:

Thunder240

. I know that Volumio can also be used as a UPNP renderer, but I don't think that this integrates with Qobuz - others may be able to comment.

@SJ777 gave a good summary. Certainly the way the way that Volumio would prefer you use it to play Qobuz is exactly as described (and again, you will pay a monthly fee to Volumio over and above your Qobuz subscription fee).

As stated, it is also possible to use Volumio is the same way you would use MoOde, as a UPnP renderer which receives your stream from another Qobuz-enabled app running on any machine on your local network. I actually have two RPis on my home network, one in my bedroom running MoOde, and one in my living room running Volumio sans subscription, and I have both configured to receive a Qobuz stream from a media pc (actually an old Mac Mini) running BubbleUPnP Server, which works similarly to the BubbleUPnP Android app except that, you guessed it, it runs on a server. Used in this fashion, I find that the two are nearly identical. I originally intended to evaluate them head to head and switch out whichever I likes less, but since I can’t discern a difference, I’ve been too lazy to make any further changes.

The key to this approach is that once they’ve been configured, you never actually interact directly with either your UPnP renderer (MoOde/Volumio) or the proxy app (BubbleUPnP). You interact with a UPnP control point, which can run on an iOS/Android device or a computer. Actually, you can have multiple control points on different devices. As long as they are compatible with the OpenHome protocol(s), the experience is seamless all the way down to synchronized playlists. Two OpenHome compatible control point apps for iOS are Linn Kazoo and LUMIN. For Mac and Linux computers , Kodi works pretty well (I’ve never tried it on Windows). Each control point app stores a copy of your Qobuz credentials. When you use an OpenHome control point to search Qobuz, behind the scenes it passes your credentials to the proxy which hits the Qobuz API and passes the search results back to your control point, which displays them for you. When you select a track, Album, or playlist to play, again the control point sends it to the proxy along with your credentials, the proxy hits the Qobuz API, receives the stream from Qobuz, then passes it to whichever UPnP renderer you have selected in the control point.

This sounds complicated, but it works really well. You only ever interact with the control point, hence your choice of UPnP renderer doesn’t matter as long as it works, and both MoOde and Qobuz work. Configuring the whole thing can take a little bit of time, but there is a great tutorial available at

https://www.hifizine.com/2019/07/stream-qobuz-to-anything/

Follow it to the letter to set up the proxy. Toward the bottom, it contains a link to another tutorial to set up your control point, but I’ll save you the trouble of finding it!

https://www.hifizine.com/2016/06/how-to-stream-tidal-to-the-raspberry-pi/

Finally, if you decide to use Kazoo as your control point and a BubbleUPnP as your proxy, it’s critical that you set each device “Name” and “Room” as different values. In other words, you must change the defaults, which are identical values. Failure to do this will produce some cryptic errors when you attempt to play tracks that will drive you bonkers trying to debug.

I hope this helps!

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
For my bedtime setup I have three choices to run Qobuz via Volumio:
(1) Best interface as it handles Album Collection and offers additional artist Info: Run Qobuz via Roon, use an Ipad as Roon Remote and send the stream to my bedside Raspi4/Volumio-RoonBridge.
(2) Second best as it allows for extra Qobuz content: Run Qobuz App on IPad and stream via Bluetooth to Raspi4/Volumio. Bluetooth impairs the sound.
(3) Most practical but most simple and featureless solution: Run Qobuz on Volumio. I can see liked Albums, and limited artist‘s info, but it is really just for pure music without metadata experience (compared to the others)

So, Volumio is great as it offers many routes, the integrated Qobuz one not being the best.

jae

Major Contributor
On a bit of a side note I contacted the dev of UAPP and requested a feature for sending local/remote/streaming service audio to an external renderer similar to what bubbleupnp does. I got a response saying this feature is already in the works. So in the future this will be a good option for those that have already purchased UAPP.

BigJim79

Hi everyone. I've followed this thread and have a couple of questions. At present i simply connect my source direct to my Sanskrit and then into my Atom, but I do get frustrated having to keep disconnecting the USB depending on my DAP or Source (Xduoo X3ii, iPAD with CCK or Android Via UAPP (both local files and Tidal HQ).
I can pick up a CCA, but also would be happy to buy a RPI4 if needed to simplify connecting to the Sanskrit.
I have a Chromecast Ultra too but I don't think that has the Optical Out, so would I simply run the Optical from the CCA into the Sanskrit and it would happily pass across anything I wanted Butperfect including the Master stuff on Tidal (non MQA)?
It would be nice to be able to sit and relax without having to co stantly plug and unplug stuff, as the Sanskrit uses Micro USB and we all know what happens to those ports over time.
I do also have a licenced Bubble UPNP for Android if that means your suggestions change?
Thanks in advance, Jim.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I wanted Butperfect
First of all, that's the best typo I've seen for a while. We're all after that butperfect effect, but I don't think that Rasberry pi(e)s are the answer!
I can pick up a CCA, but also would be happy to buy a RPI4 if needed to simplify connecting to the Sanskrit.
I can't really comment on CCA but I can on RPi 4. It's incredibly easy to use and you can most certainly sit and relax. As you've already got Bubble UPNP for Android, you can easily set up your RPi as a UPNP renderer. I use Moode Audio, but Volumio and a number of others receive positive feedback here.

Not needing MQA is a definite plus as you'll find it more tricky to get MQA with an RPi. I always beat the drum at this point for Qobuz, particularly as you're in the UK. It's cheaper (much cheaper if you take out an annual subscription) and you can take advantage of hi-res audio without MQA.

BigJim79

First of all, that's the best typo I've seen for a while. We're all after that butperfect effect, but I don't think that Rasberry pi(e)s are the answer!

I can't really comment on CCA but I can on RPi 4. It's incredibly easy to use and you can most certainly sit and relax. As you've already got Bubble UPNP for Android, you can easily set up your RPi as a UPNP renderer. I use Moode Audio, but Volumio and a number of others receive positive feedback here.

Not needing MQA is a definite plus as you'll find it more tricky to get MQA with an RPi. I always beat the drum at this point for Qobuz, particularly as you're in the UK. It's cheaper (much cheaper if you take out an annual subscription) and you can take advantage of hi-res audio without MQA.

Thanks for this, Butperfect! Haha, must have been thinking about Liz Hurley again.

Ref what you have said, I haven't really looked at Qobuz, I 'cough' don't pay an awfully large amount for Tidal, so I will probably stick to it for the time being. I think the RPi4 will be what I'm looking for, I'm happy setting up UPNP so that shouldn't be an issue. I take it the RPi will just output via USB into my DAC, obviously with the Moode Audio, quick question, is Moode a subscription service and I take it that's the actual operating system I flash onto the Pie?
Thanks, Jim.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I take it the RPi will just output via USB into my DAC, obviously with the Moode Audio, quick question, is Moode a subscription service and I take it that's the actual operating system I flash onto the Pie?
Thanks, Jim.

Yes, USB output to DAC - very straightforward.

Moode is free, but I know that all donations are gratefully received.

You do flash the operating system - full info can be found at https://moodeaudio.org/

The instructions don't give info on image writing utilities, but I uses balenaEtcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Last edited:

BigJim79

Thunder240

I take it the RPi will just output via USB into my DAC, obviously with the Moode Audio, quick question, is Moode a subscription service and I take it that's the actual operating system I flash onto the Pie?
Thanks, Jim.

The RPi4 can output via USB to your DAC if that’s your preferred way to connect, but you aren’t locked into USB.

There are quite a few I2S daughter cards available for the RPi that do an excellent job of producing a SPIDF or Toslink audio output, if you’d rather go that route. On ASR, you can read Amir’s positive review of the Allo Digione Signature. Also, for 1/4th the price of the Allo, there is the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro which sounds almost indistinguishable (my opinion). These and other daughter cards attach to the GPIO pins on the RPi. Both of the cards I mentioned come as kits with all of the mounting hardware, and the manufactures offer cases that are properly sized to accommodate the RPi plus daughter card.

Again, it isn’t necessary to go this route, but it’s an option if you’d rather have SPIDF or Toslink signals, or if you are concerned about the RPi’s electrical noise over USB or it’s jitter.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Again, it isn’t necessary to go this route, but it’s an option if you’d rather have SPIDF or Toslink signals, or if you are concerned about the RPi’s electrical noise over USB or it’s jitter.
Personally I've not had a problem with this, but the option of a HAT to provide SPIDF or Toslink output is a useful addition.

I wonder if some of the reputation for USB instability for the RPi predates the RPi 4. In earlier versions, the USB ports and the Ethernet port shared the same controller and, apparently, this could cause dropouts, jitter etc.

As I say, all working well for me via USB connection.

Top Bottom