• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smart phone for less, a lot less ...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do they abandon safety because of the proliferation of dangerous car controls????
The normal solution is to introduce regulation for new vehicles, but I suppose they could force manufacturers to issue firmware updates for older models with serious issues. I think the problem is they are probably safe if used correctly, by sensible people, who have read the manuals and remembered the safety warnings. So we are doomed.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The normal solution is to introduce regulation for new vehicles, but I suppose they could force manufacturers to issue firmware updates for older models with serious issues. I think the problem is they are probably safe if used correctly, by sensible people, who have read the manuals and remembered the safety warnings. So we are doomed.
My current car only had touch controls for audio and sat nav, both subject to unwanted selection since there is nowher to brace oneself whilst touching a button.
It has voice control so I should just learn to use that, I think I will hate it just a tiny bit less than I hate touch screens, which are a cost saving too far IMO.

Old Listener

I am autistic so unnecessary noise has always been a considerable irritation.
I don't drive much any more, the limiting factor will be me learning (and remembering) the commands!

Didn't you work on race car engineering? Was that necessary noise?

Moving to a new car doesn't seem very relevant now for us. I cut way down on driving just for fun years ago. This year, we only took a day wildflower trip. Previously, we would have gone on 5-6 in a year and some day trips. Cars are just a minor part of life now.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6 (ancient I know) to an iPhone SE 2020. It's only $399, which I think is a great deal.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Texting whilst driving is illegal here, as is using the phone hand held.
Causing an accident because of texting is dangerous driving and can result in a prison sentence if anybody is killed.

The laws are state-by-state here in the U.S. but in Texas it's also illegal to text while driving. Mostly misdemeanor level stuff but if you hurt or kill someone you can definitely be sent to prison. Unfortunately there does not appear to be much enforcement, at least in central Texas. Not only do I see people texting while driving all the time, I -- unfortunately -- know people who do it regularly. It can be scary as a passenger when the driver is texting + distracted. I once had a friend giving me a ride home who wouldn't stop reading and sometimes replying to texts despite me asking her to stop. I made up an excuse to have her drop me off miles from my home, took the bus the rest of the way.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate touch screens, which are a cost saving too far IMO
I don't see it as cost saving, once they put sat navs into cars a large screen was sitting there ready to be used, and there are so many functions in modern cars having buttons for all of them would be just as bad to use, the dash would look like the remote control from hell, they also appeal to most people who are so used to their phones. The key is good quality design, that's been thought through properly, which is surprisingly expensive and time consuming to develop.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see it as cost saving, once they put sat navs into cars a large screen was sitting there ready to be used, and there are so many functions in modern cars having buttons for all of them would be just as bad to use, the dash would look like the remote control from hell, they also appeal to most people who are so used to their phones. The key is good quality design, that's been thought through properly, which is surprisingly expensive and time consuming to develop.
Adding lots of functions to a touch screen is a huge cost saving over having well placed and engineered buttons and switches.
It also allows expensive optional extras to be added at low cost to the manufacturer.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding lots of functions to a touch screen is a huge cost saving over having well placed and engineered buttons and switches.
My point is more that there is a limit to how many of those can be added, without them being worse than a touchscreen, and I think we are probably beyond that point now. For the controls available in the cars from before computers invaded it was easy to do, and they had decades to refine their own systems, now they have to adapt to new 'must have' (but probably never used twice) features. Plus a big chunk of dash has been taken up with the sat nav screen.

Darvis

That is the dilemma.
Do they abandon safety because of the proliferation of dangerous car controls????
They think they shouldn't but probably can't get away with it.
I quite fancied a Tesla Model 3 and it certainly -looks- nice but the driver interface is only good whilst stationary IMO.
Not only Tesla, plenty of car makers are now enthralled by this touch screen fuckery.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
If I drive I don't need any distraction.
If I want to use my portable notebook, or laptop or iPad or large screen smartphone, I hire a private chauffeur while sitting in the back dealing with the financial world @ large. ...With a zest of lemon and a pinch of high grade quality cognac. :) ...Some of the best caliber.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$16 to $24 a month for the two lines combined! You must live in paradise telecommunications best central zone.
Where I live that money doesn't even cover the monthly fees!

Cell phone plans in Canada are the most expensive of planet Earth.
And a smartphone that costs say $1,000 in the USA, here in Canada it's $1,300 before tax (add 12% + activation fees, etc.).

In France, we are blessed with the Provider FREE who broke the market with a 2€ monthly fee .
For 20€/month you get unlimited data & communication and you can call the US lines and 100+ countries landlines for "free" ...

The price of the phone is of course excluded and therefore this most is interesting, get the most out of it.

Top Bottom