• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because you will need power to drive speakers with that impedance. Fortunately those speakers have high sensitivity, but you might be able to fall short with both models if you amplify those speakers using the receiver's 9 channels of amplification. Especially if you like to turn up the volume.
And I do not advise you to select an impedance lower than 8 ohms on the receiver, even if your speakers are 4. It is possible that by selecting 4 oh, the receiver will heat up less, but limit the amplification power even more.
Right - the impedance selection setting does the same thing as ECO mode, only is less configurable and harder to get to. It's because it's not intended to actually be used.

If powering the fronts externally, I recommend enabling ECO mode during 2.1 playback.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an older pair of Dynaudio towers for Front L/R (Audience 72; 4 ohm), and chose the x4700h for the extra "headroom" (power).

Please put a fan or two on top. Get the variable speed one and set both to minimum speed and you won't hear them unless you sit close.

mcdull

No one's mentioned how Denon removed the front HDMI input making it an almost non-starter for those of us who hook up a laptop often for REW or other uses.

Actually a few and I did and that's not an issue.
A short extender will do if not wanting a long cable or there is also wireless solution.

I’ll probably just leave a long hdmi cable out since I don’t have a rack for my current setup.
That's exactly what I'm doing when anyone want to hook up a laptop, phone or etc to the TV, so a front HDMI isn't that essential to me.

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
Please put a fan or two on top. Get the variable speed one and set both to minimum speed and you won't hear them unless you sit close.
Thanks, Peng...I already have ordered the ones you linked to.

Anterantz

hi amir the following tests in what order are they?

Did they send you the nad t778? And the denon 8500h was the next right?

greetings from Spain

1597108115979.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did they send you the nad t778? And the denon 8500h was the next right?
Yes I have both and depending on how fast Denon responds, 8500H would be next.

da Choge

Forum Donor
depending on how fast Denon responds, 8500H would be next.
I'm very interested in the results for the Denon AVR-X8500H; hoping (wanting) it to be the best of the Denons. We'll have to see.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As I just post in the other Denon thread, I finished measuring the 8500H and the results are in Denon's hands. As soon as they approve, I can post them.

zelig

Forum Donor
To my ears, the X3700 is a no brainer. I sold my top of the line LG soundbar to buy the X3700. The worst decision was buying a soundbar and I am glad I kept my PSB Alpha speakers around which right now working great with the X3700. I might add a bargain subwoofer along the way.
You will soon be on a quest to have a speaker at the end of each of the 11 channels. Nothing will be able to stop you doing it... nothing! You have been warned. Neighbors will be talking. They will say that you were once the guy with a soundbar and something bad happened. Heads will shake. Tongues will tut. But you won't hear them... over the sound of your dual subwoofers.

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
I guess I logically thought that if I power the center with an external amp instead of the receiver, that it should make the total available amplification power distribute over a lower number of speakers, thus increasing the available amplification power for those speakers, but it seems that’s not the case. I admit I don’t really understand why yet.
I don't recall anyone saying that it is not the case. It has to be, at least to some extent.
I said that. Perhaps I got this wrong.

My understanding is that only the pre-outs that are disconnected from the internal amplification help reduce the load on the receiver‘s shared power supply. In 11 channel mode, the center channel is still connected to the internal amp so isn’t it the case the amp is driven even when a speaker is not connected to the amp?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would anyone want 11 channels
Atmos/DTSX sounds absolutely incredible? Actually for my room 13 is better but won’t have any need for any more than that...

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why would anyone want 11 channels

If you think about the way you threw that question, then you could ask yourself: Why would anyone want 2 channels ? Let’s keep it Mono and call it a day.

I won’t dig into technicalities because this has already been discussed and researched to Eternity (Floyd Toole’s book, AES papers, etc).

In my personal experience a properly 7.x channel setup (correct placement according to ITU recomendations) will give you an AMAZING 360° experience.

I can only imagine how adding height channels could just take it to another level. And as long as one has enough room space for more channels the experience should become even more pinpoint.
And Dolby and DTS need something new to sell every few years too.
I would give my final 5 cents to that too.

Top Bottom