• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please include low gain options, and XLR inputs!
THIS.
+1

There is a whole world of high efficiency speaker owners out there that have no good choices available to them at all.

Feanor

Forum Donor
My two otherwise excellent Topping PA3 amplifiers with external SMPS died within months of purchase, and Amir's review of the Tripath-based TP60 with an internal toroid transformer-based LPS that found it to be of more use as a power supply than an amplifier due to unremarkable performance. I am intrigued by the fact that a transformer provides simple plus and minus voltages vs the complex circuitry of SMPS designs. (The MX3 is a multifunction amp with featured I don't want or need.)

My DX7s DAC/HA is excellent and reliable, but now back in its box - and for sale - since I don't use headphnes, and switched to a 3.0 (L/R/C) configuration with an AVP to add a center channel for movies.

So Topping currently offers no speaker amplifiers that appeal to me at the moment. Will that change soon now that Topping has a full and remarkable selection of DAC's and HA's?
I've had a Topping TP-30 Mk2 for several years and it continues to work very well. That experience plus Amir's reviews tempted me to buy a DX7s DAC/head amp and a D50 DAC, both of which I'm very pleased with.

What I would like to see is a great but economical power amp of 200+wpc -- I've some vibes to the effect that Topping has some monoblocks in the works but no specs are forthcoming at this point.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
That gets eliminated if you use a phone charger on the E30 instead of PC USB power with the E30/L30 stack
Does not work for my setup, unfortunately. The squeaking is less than with the DAC powered by the PC, but not gone like when disconnecting the ground.

Kouioui

Forum Donor
Does not work for my setup, unfortunately. The squeaking is less than with the DAC powered by the PC, but not gone like when disconnecting the ground.
That's too bad. All I hear with all gains maxed-out on the L30 and the JBLs is their self-noise, and I'm really sensitive to power related grunge. I do have everything plugged into the same circuit but I doubt that's your issue.

Lemanss

Bravo again for this site from a French forumer.

To power my Roksan kandy 2 amp, I am currently using a Minidsp DDRC-22D and a Topping D90 dac.
Is there any point in adding this preamp?

Another question:
Is there still an advantage in buying the A90 topping over the L30?

Thanks again

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Topping have the headphone amp, DAC, and DAC/amp combo fields pretty well covered.

+1 for a revised speaker amplifier line. I'd settle for an integrated amp with 50 WPC @ 8 ohms if it's clean and relatively small.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Slow applause @JohnYang1997 ... You've made my THX AAA 789 jealous.

In all seriousness, I can't wait to see what you cook up for a THX AAA 78* killer. I'll wait for a balanced solution even if this is crazy tempting.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes why not? But I do see that most amps have higher gains than L30.

I just wanted to confirm what I assumed - the way the power was measured is common practice.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping should really make a phono stage.

Robin L

Master Contributor
OIP.jpg

Top Bottom