• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

bobby1945

Buy one track from a good hi res source or even a 16/44 that you know the distortion well on tidal. Rule out the actual recording. Or rule it as the cause definitely

Right I took your advice and purchased a 24bit/88khz download (Sam Smith - The Thrill of it All) from HDTraracks.com as a FLAC. Played with potplayer +LAV codec
TIDAL MQA stream has better dynamics + distortion on some parts of some tracks.
The 24bit/88khz download - distortion still there .
I have also played numerous Classical Tidal streams today and they were distortion free
So conclusion is TIDAL is not introducing distortion -It already exists in the original recording.
The TIDAL MQA is the preferred version.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right I took your advice and purchased a 24bit/88khz download (Sam Smith - The Thrill of it All) from HDTraracks.com as a FLAC. Played with potplayer +LAV codec
TIDAL MQA stream has better dynamics + distortion on some parts of some tracks.
The 24bit/88khz download - distortion still there .
I have also played numerous Classical Tidal streams today and they were distortion free
So conclusion is TIDAL is not introducing distortion -It already exists in the original recording.
The TIDAL MQA is the preferred version.
From a purely logic perspective, either what you say (and is my best guess) OR your system is introducing the noise. But I would have thought you would notice on EVERYTHING .

Draculr

Does anyone own this unit and also use it to drive powered monitors? How does the switching of ouputs work? Does it automatically switch to the headphones when they are plugged in and mute the speakers or do you need to jump into the menus or use the remote to switch output?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone own this unit and also use it to drive powered monitors? How does the switching of ouputs work? Does it automatically switch to the headphones when they are plugged in and mute the speakers or do you need to jump into the menus or use the remote to switch output?

No , its either (both sets ) of rear outputs or headphones. You select via the menu or remote button. If its outputting via rear sockets and you plug phones in, they stay silent until you switch. And vice versa. Separate volume selections that remember last setting for each output though, so no danger of blowing ears/ phones because set to full output from rear.

shinewu

After reading here for so long, I pulled trigger and purchased a red color m500. Thank you all and I think I am done for audio gears for a while. I might add a high power amp later, but I only have Sennheiser HD5XX and Hifiman Sundara. Both can be perfectly driven by a Tempotec Sonata Pro.

So what power hungry headphones would noticeably outperform 5XX and Sundara? I am thinking about Focal Elex from Drop. Maybe you guys can give me far better ideas?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading here for so long, I pulled trigger and purchased a red color m500. Thank you all and I think I am done for audio gears for a while. I might add a high power amp later, but I only have Sennheiser HD5XX and Hifiman Sundara. Both can be perfectly driven by a Tempotec Sonata Pro.

So what power hungry headphones would noticeably outperform 5XX and Sundara? I am thinking about Focal Elex from Drop. Maybe you guys can give me far better ideas?

The Elex are not power hungry at all- less so than the 58X. YMMV as to whether they outperform the 58X

Higher price cans that seem to get most love on here (not universal though) are the Focal Clear, Audeze LCD 3, Hifiman Ananda, Sennheiser HD800/S (most agree needs EQ). All very different though, both in terms of sound and power requirements. The LCD 3 I believe would be the most power hungry of those listed.

shinewu

Yeah, I am thinking maybe Ananda, but I feel probably the difference is not that much from Sundara. I guess I am also looking for a different sound signature, and that's why I am looking into Focal Elex. Another option is Koss ESP 95x or some high-end models from Audio Technica. But none of them needs high power.

Maybe after all, all I need is m500 and be happy with it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I am thinking maybe Ananda, but I feel probably the difference is not that much from Sundara. I guess I am also looking for a different sound signature, and that's why I am looking into Focal Elex. Another option is Koss ESP 95x or some high-end models from Audio Technica. But none of them needs high power.

Maybe after all, all I need is m500 and be happy with it.

I have the Audio Technica R70- that needs plenty of power but doesnt offer much over the HD58X. Great all day headphone. I also have the W5000, which is just plain odd.

Headphones are great , but above the level you have, there are no huge leaps in performance. Lots of different ways of doing things, lots of different sound signatures. But you have to know what you want from an expensive 'phone and if it can deliver it. Go on youtube and look at Joshua Valour's recent post on hi-end headphones. He isnt wrong.

Until you find your perfect 'phone and that absolutely demands a better amp than the M500 has, I wouldnt bother.

shinewu

I think I am reaching a point of transparency. With my Sundara, I can't tell any definitive difference between my Aune T1tube DAC/amp and the SMSL m500. I can tell some slight roll-off on Aune on some bass heavy tracks. But overall, the T1 with the tuby effect feels "warm", but it might as well be the glowing tube.

I am going to stay put with these two integrated DAC/amp for now. Very satisfied with m500, the precision of sound and physical build just feels great!

Veri

Master Contributor
I think I am reaching a point of transparency. With my Sundara, I can't tell any definitive difference between my Aune T1tube DAC/amp and the SMSL m500. I can tell some slight roll-off on Aune on some bass heavy tracks. But overall, the T1 with the tuby effect feels "warm", but it might as well be the glowing tube.

The glowing tube definitely plays a pretty big role ;) the need for tube amps is pretty overstated, people just like the looks of them. Imo. :D

shinewu

Some pleasant surprise. Excellent output resistance and not super high gain means that m500 can drive IEM!
It is really handy when my daughter starts her piano practicing. And I can just put on my Etymotics and retreat.

nonns

I'm a beginner to this stuff so apologies in advance for my ignorance and the potential stupidity of any questions asked. I have just purchased an SMSL M500 V2. It replaced a Resonessence Concero HP. I am currently using an old pair of Beyer DT770 Pro headphones (32 Ohm - they were originally purchased for phone use - now a deprecated use case for me) but am thinking of upgrading to the DT1990. I listen to most things at somehwere between 16-20 on the volume control. Below that the 770's sound somewhat dull and unenthusiastic.

I can see this unit being an end game for me now but I was wondering if it would benefit from an external amp such as the new Topping L30 or the SMSL SP200. If so which would be the better purchase. The Topping unit seems to measure very well via RCA and the SMSL does so well via balanced. Would an SMSL connected balance to the M500 provide a better expeirence than the L30 on RCA cables?

shinewu

For the phones you have, m500 should be sufficiently powerful. Getting another amp is nice, but not needed.

nonns

For the phones you have, m500 should be sufficiently powerful. Getting another amp is nice, but not needed.

Thank you for your response. The current setup is most defintiely more than adequate for the headphones I have but I mentioned changing the headphones I have and the Beyer DT1990 are just one option. Most options are harder to drive than the DT770 Pros I have so in that event which amp type would be a better solution - The new Topping which is shortly to be released (RCA only) but which seems to measure incredibly well or the SMSL SP200 which offers a balanced connection or is it completely academic at this level?

shinewu

To be frank, the price difference between sp200 and the new l30 is probably ~$100. You already invested $400 in m500. I would say if you are not too tight on budget (if you are, probably no anyway), go for the balanced one.

I think the amp of m500 is already beyond transparency for me. So anything I buy on top is really more about making me feel good. Like I know a Honda Civic is more than enough, but I still want a BMW. :)

Oklei

Forum Donor
I noticed a strange thing on my v1.3 M500. If it is connected via USB and switched off or in standby I hear a hum in the connected headphone. As soon as the device is switched on that hum disappears. It's not a major issue but I don't like it when my phones are humming all night long although I could disconnect them after each session.
Anyone else experienced this?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed a strange thing on my v1.3 M500. If it is connected via USB and switched off or in standby I hear a hum in the connected headphone. As soon as the device is switched on that hum disappears. It's not a major issue but I don't like it when my phones are humming all night long although I could disconnect them after each session.
Anyone else experienced this?

I always disconnect my phones if leaving for any real period in case of power cuts etc . My guess is any mains and USB filtering in the device is active not passive.

Rafinn155555

Good morning friends, I am looking for a DAC / AMP and I have checked several options, the M500 and I have already checked all the thread and seen all its problems and that with the V2 several of them are solved. The fact is that I would use it for my PC, campaign games, YouTube, tidal.
The thing is, I don't know if the M500 or a combination of the M200 plus the Topping L30 is worth it. I don't know how good the ESS 9038 pro chip is for gaming or the AK 4497, I don't know which one is better for gaming, I know both are excellent for music. I hope your opinion and can help me decide which one to go. greetings: D

Veri

Master Contributor
The thing is, I don't know if the M500 or a combination of the M200 plus the Topping L30 is worth it. I don't know how good the ESS 9038 pro chip is for gaming or the AK 4497, I don't know which one is better for gaming, I know both are excellent for music. I hope your opinion and can help me decide which one to go. greetings: D
Just go L30+E30? They are made for each other, AK4493 is a fine chip don't stare blind on what chip is used..

urfaust

What's the DPLL setting? Default value is 7.

Besides for filters, the most correct seems to be brickwall per Amirm's graph in the review?

Top Bottom