• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your cats climb speaker stands?

She would have a go- and the mesh grills dont like outstretched cat paws and claws. also, she can jump from the rack not too far away. Killed a pair of floorstanders, darent risk even stands.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I prefer the performance of the M105 with the port plugs for sure, the rear bass port is pretty noisy. The substandard bass performance definitely detracts frrom the speaker but I've never heard anything bad (especially not bright enough) about the treble performance.
The M105's come with port bungs?

SloPoke

Forum Donor
The M105's come with port bungs?
Yes, the Revel M105 comes with port bungs...
IMG_0832.jpeg

Sparky

Forum Donor
Can anyone recommend a pair of decent stands for these? The "M" stand is looking to be a bit of a rarity over in England. :( I went for the white BTW

Ausghostdog

So I finally got an amp that can power a sub as well and got an SVS pb-1000 to pair with these and although this is only subjective. They sound a much better with a sub it's amazing.

At the moment I am only using a SMSL sa300 but will have behringer a800s and a mini dsp by the end of the month to run them, but even with the budget amp for them it sounds a lot better than without the sub.

Sparky

Forum Donor
So I finally got an amp that can power a sub as well and got an SVS pb-1000 to pair with these and although this is only subjective. They sound a much better with a sub it's amazing.

At the moment I am only using a SMSL sa300 but will have behringer a800s and a mini dsp by the end of the month to run them, but even with the budget amp for them it sounds a lot better than without the sub.

It's amazing what a sub can bring to the whole experience! When I first started I thought a sub was not necessary but I was wrong in a big way! They just fill out the sound nicely. Glad you're enjoying the M105's. I'm still on the fence about buying them.....I really want the M126be's but they're a little expensive!! :D:D

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be mounting these on a wall, expecting to use this mount.
1602707378488.png

Question: To affix the speakers to the mount, should I velcro the hell out of the bottom or use screws in the three holes on the bottom of the mounting plate? I don't want to screw into the sides of the speakers and I can't find a cutaway image of the M105s so I'm not sure how solid the bases are or if there is anything in there I might damage with screws.

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Blu-Tak could be enough to hold the speaker? After it sets for awhile, the grip becomes quite strong.

What about the pre-drilled holes (3) on the bottom of the M105, can be of use?

I'd experiment with protecting the speaker finish where the brackets will touch the lower sides - thinking a 2-3 layers of painter's green Frog tape might be enough and its adhesive is designed not to mar surfaces and to be easily removable. Could keep it so its hidden by the bracket's grip.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blu-Tak could be enough to hold the speaker?
Could be, but I'd never sleep at night!
What about the pre-drilled holes (3) on the bottom of the M105, can be of use?
That will be my first/best option if they line up. I don't have the speakers handy, so thinking ahead to Plan B, if necessary.
I'd experiment with protecting the speaker finish where the brackets will touch the lower sides - thinking a 2-3 layers of painter's green Frog tape might be enough and its adhesive is designed not to mar surfaces and to be easily removable. Could keep it so its hidden by the bracket's grip.
There's foam, but good tip to be safer.

Ausghostdog

1604202393104.png

So got a chance to set this up today, and yeah the extra power of 1502 in bridge vs the smsl sa300 + sub makes big difference, still need to do more testing

Top Bottom