• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 vs Devialet Expert

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Okay, I just noticed that the M33 has an XLR input pair:

NAD-M33-amplifier-rear.jpg

So I'd be able to hook up my Revox reel-to-reel decks, too, without using an XLR/RCA conversion cable.

I'm not seeing a digital out, though, so I wouldn't be able to use it to make vinyl rip samples out like on the Devialet.

jae

Major Contributor
Do any of the add-on modules add digital out?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is it complicated or flakey?

I understand that with Ethernet, it can go smoothly, but I didn't have that available, so this is very second-hand info. Setting it up via wifi was a massive challenge, and that's with the help of my wife (a network whiz). Once I got it working, it's stayed solid, but the documented procedures were just not correct (anyone familiar with Agile development will recognize the symptoms). Many phone calls with various tech support types at Bluesound and NAD over the course of two weeks.

Let that be the dealer's problem.

Once it's set up, the operation is smooth, intuitive, and reliable.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I understand that with Ethernet, it can go smoothly, but I didn't have that available, so this is very second-hand info. Setting it up via wifi was a massive challenge, and that's with the help of my wife (a network whiz). Once I got it working, it's stayed solid, but the documented procedures were just not correct (anyone familiar with Agile development will recognize the symptoms). Many phone calls with various tech support types at Bluesound and NAD over the course of two weeks.

Let that be the dealer's problem.

Once it's set up, the operation is smooth, intuitive, and reliable.

These things are usually stupid simple:

Network name
Password

Done

EdW

Looks like a very promising package. Everything in one box. Not sure about the upgrade capability that NAD promise though - could be quite hard to deliver.
Often amplifiers with digital inputs lag the SOTA with their DACs. Does anyone know what DAC chip NAD has chosen? ESS?? Until we see a proper review we still won’t know how well its been integrated with the Dirac and the amplifier of course.
Also looks like NAD may have marginally increased the supply voltage above the IET400 standard in order to give >200W into 8 ohms?

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Often amplifiers with digital inputs lag the SOTA with their DACs.

I don't have a problem with this, and in an all-in-one device, I prefer it.

Because you can't swap out the DAC, like you can with separates, I'm perfectly fine with having a chip that is field-tested and proven, as opposed to bleeding edge with kinks still in it.

EdW

I don't have a problem with this, and in an all-in-one device, I prefer it.

Because you can't swap out the DAC, like you can with separates, I'm perfectly fine with having a chip that is field-tested and proven, as opposed to bleeding edge with kinks still in it.
I too like the concept of an all in one box. The ESS9028PRO is very capable if correctly integrated. We see all the issues early adopters of the ESS9038 series had with the IMD hump and the many fine DACs made with the ESS9028 such as RME, Mytek and of course Okto Research (admittedly using multiple parallel 9028s in their stereo dac). It remains to be seen whether NAD has properly integrated the DAC so that we see performance like the RME DAC. The engineering to get this right in an all in one unit should not be underestimated.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It remains to be seen whether NAD has properly integrated the DAC so that we see performance like the RME DAC. The engineering to get this right in an all in one unit should not be underestimated.

I have an RME DAC, but if the NAD isn't as perfect, I'm not going to worry.

I don't get hung up on measurements that are below the audibility threshold, and Dirac brings things to the party that the ADI-2 Pro doesn't do.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 v2 is AKM 4493, not ESS 9028PRO.

EdW

I have an RME DAC, but if the NAD isn't as perfect, I'm not going to worry.

I don't get hung up on measurements that are below the audibility threshold, and Dirac brings things to the party that the ADI-2 Pro doesn't do.
Let’s hope the measurements are really good!

Top Bottom