• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

gvl

Major Contributor
I'm curious, what is that you can get in a $$$ dedicated streamer that you can't in a free package like Daphile or Volumio and a $50 computer from eBay?

virtuovice

Forum Donor
I'm curious, what is that you can get in a $$$ dedicated streamer that you can't in a free package like Daphile or Volumio and a $50 computer from eBay?
Mainly linear power supply and I2S output to play nice with XSP. Second, uni chassis and similar look and feel of the well-built XSP.

firedog

So basically nothing that improves sound quality or functionality of the streamer.
Sure but good looks and build and matching other components is desired by many. I use a RBPi as a streamer, but might buy a more expensive one that is more like an audio component. The Pi is just to small too even handle the cables attached to it.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Sure but good looks and build and matching other components is desired by many. I use a RBPi as a streamer, but might buy a more expensive one that is more like an audio component. The Pi is just to small to even handle the cables attached to it.

What, you're prepared to pay for a nice looking chassis and a quality user Interface? Thats crazy. Don't you just want a bunch of parts and a pcb thrown randomly into a box? Ive never heard of such a thing before.... ;)

virtuovice

Forum Donor
So basically nothing that improves sound quality or functionality of the streamer.
Assumed that's where you were going with your question. Didn't expect us to think you were generally curious, did you ;) Without going into detail about the merit well-built components have over sound quality; as someone who appreciates good engineering *and* good design, I tend to back companies / products that demonstrate competency in both areas.

gvl

Major Contributor
I thoght maybe I was missing something. I can appreciate the package but in my view all these streamers become obsolete sooner or later as the technology/protocols change after the maker stops development. Then the software is usually buggy to begin with and the bugs tend to never get resolved. Given these issues I could never convince myself to get a dedicated streamer even from a major manufacturer, let alone a boutique shop.

firedog

I thoght maybe I was missing something. I can appreciate the package but in my view all these streamers become obsolete sooner or later as the technology/protocols change after the maker stops development. Then the software is usually buggy to begin with and the bugs tend to never get resolved. Given these issues I could never convince myself to get a dedicated streamer even from a major manufacturer, let alone a boutique shop.
Many, or even most, are able to use 3rd party software that's well written and works well: LMS, Roon, Audirvana, JRiver, and several other well supported open source SW. Not an issue. You've created a problem that doesn't exist.

No different than using a PC in that sense. Do you somehow think that if you use a Windows based device there's never software with bugs or that has it's development stopped?
Almost all the streamers are based on Linux. Do you think it's going to disapear? There's lots of development going on all the time for these apps.

gvl

Major Contributor
Many, or even most, are able to use 3rd party software that's well written and works well: LMS, Roon, Audirvana, JRiver, and several other well supported open source SW. Not an issue. You've created a problem that doesn't exist.

No different than using a PC in that sense. Do you somehow think that if you use a Windows based device there's never software with bugs or that has it's development stopped?
Almost all the streamers are based on Linux. Do you think it's going to disapear? There's lots of development going on all the time for these apps.

The concern is that these streamers contain hardware that require proprietary drivers that are not in the standard Linux distros or if it is today it will be removed in later releases.

firedog

The concern is that these streamers contain hardware that require proprietary drivers that are not in the standard Linux distros or if it is today it will be removed in later releases.
Again, overblown. I've used multiple such streamers on multiple DACs and had one issue. And that was the problem of the DAC, that needed unique drivers unlike anything else on the market.
Today's streamers have almost no issues like that. Both Windows and Linux now work universally/driverless with many DACs and with most streamers and most DACs it's also driverless/universal. Plug and play. My setup used to need a Windows driver, even for Windows 10. No longer does.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here.
I would put my money in a D90 >Okto8Stereo range DAC as long as the sound improves. But a streamer ? What sound fidelity function does a streamer bring to HiFi ?
Note that I come from far, I only spindle CD's so far. Raspberry is the next target for a streamer aso.
PS- With ASR's activity ... even the next generation DAC might be a DIY ...

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
That's a good reason to get an RPi-based streamer. Minimal outlay for the hardware, wide choice of OSes/aps, both free and paid. I don't see that compatibility is an issue unless you use proprietary protocols. Does anyone here have an early Linn or Naim streamer? Has it stopped working?

gvl

Major Contributor
That's a good reason to get an RPi-based streamer. Minimal outlay for the hardware, wide choice of OSes/aps, both free and paid. I don't see that compatibility is an issue unless you use proprietary protocols. Does anyone here have an early Linn or Naim streamer? Has it stopped working?

I'm running Daphile on a $30 ECS Liva mini PC I got from eBay. Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Internet radio, convolution filters, Squeezer app to control it. All I need.

gvl

Major Contributor
Again, overblown. I've used multiple such streamers on multiple DACs and had one issue. And that was the problem of the DAC, that needed unique drivers unlike anything else on the market.
Today's streamers have almost no issues like that. Both Windows and Linux now work universally/driverless with many DACs and with most streamers and most DACs it's also driverless/universal. Plug and play. My setup used to need a Windows driver, even for Windows 10. No longer does.

Are you referring to using a streamer as a DAC with playback software running on a PC? Or using PC as a DLNA server?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'm running Daphile on a $30 ECS Liva mini PC I got from eBay. Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Internet radio, convolution filters, Squeezer app to control it. All I need.
Indeed. There are many options: I only mention RPi because it's well known and what I have. It's also low power consumption (every bit helps).

sq225917

Major Contributor
...sits back and looks at 2011 17" macbookpro used as music server thats still running the original snowleopard install. Some stuff just doesn't need upgrading.

firedog

Are you referring to using a streamer as a DAC with playback software running on a PC? Or using PC as a DLNA server?
I'm saying that streamers and computers are universal today, and work without special drivers with most DACs. DAC manufacturers are well aware that users are employing Linux based devices as streamers, and the DACs work with them. Newer versions of Windows also play directly to DACs without special drivers, if someone is, for example, using a NUC PC as a streamer (or even as a server), which is prety common.

gvl

Major Contributor
You're throwing general statements. Do you have an example of a streamer that you can load an alternative OS on? RPi-based excluding.

Novak

. Does anyone here have an early Linn or Naim streamer? Has it stopped working?

Based on my small experience, I would not recommend a Naim streamer. I have had a Unitinova in the past and this was full of bugs. I would not buy software to a hardware company.

Top Bottom