• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Handmade copy of Purifi SPK5 design on UK eBay

sgoldwin

Audio Company
I built three pairs of SPK5 speakers close to the Purifi published SPK5 spec. I am selling two pairs and keeping one. If there is demand for this I will keep building them.

Pictures, description and price on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303634158293

IMG_0490.jpgIMG_0508.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, testing would be a great way to promote it.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious - why speakONs on the PCB for the individual drivers? While I do not think there is an equal or better option for amp-to-speaker wiring, it seems to me that simple quick disconnect tabs for PCB to drivers makes more sense.

OP
sgoldwin

sgoldwin

Audio Company
The obvious answer, on the speakers I'm making, is that's the way Purifi did it and I'm trying to build a technical copy. Purifi has identified speakONs as the lowest distortion connector but I do not know if they included simple fastON connectors in that analysis.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The obvious answer, on the speakers I'm making, is that's the way Purifi did it and I'm trying to build a technical copy.

Fair enough.

Purifi has identified speakONs as the lowest distortion connector but I do not know if they included simple fastON connectors in that analysis.

I doubt they did, and that's not possible anyway given that there fastON terminals inside the speakON connector. :)

My view is performance-wise it does not matter, as long as the boards fit into the cabinet. I was just curious because that's a multiple-times-more-expensive way to connect drive units to a PCB, with more points of failure than a faston or barrier strip.

D

Deleted member 15250

Great looking speakers, looks like you forgot to enable bidders from the usa

yourmando

I have a new listing on eBay for 6 copies of the SPK5 speaker, also available through my website celuaris.com.

And, I have submitted the speaker to amirm for testing.
Curious why have you left the crossover external? The SPK5 demo has it this way so that speaker designers/evaluators can swap in their own crossovers or tune parameters easily.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
What I do not understand is why there is only one speakon connection per speaker. The crossover is external, so there should be two connections going to each speaker. What am I missing?

yourmando

What I do not understand is why there is only one speakon connection per speaker. The crossover is external, so there should be two connections going to each speaker. What am I missing?
It uses a 4 pole Speakon connector.

Speakons come in 2-pole, 4-pole...even 8-pole. I have a single 8-pole Speakon going to my speakers from the active x/o and amp.
AE3248CA-CB0D-4473-B7F6-6A6E00ED5177.jpeg

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very nice. Guess you could use a minidsp 2x4 and ditch the passive crossover and use a 4 channwl amp?

sq225917

Major Contributor
Make the product image on the homepage a url link straight to the product in the shop

Top Bottom