• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am one of those (closet :facepalm: but I guess I am out , now) SINAD chasers, I'd go for the minDSP + Purifi ... Once you are done with the Dirac se-up. You are back t chose a source and raise the volume. That is simplicity
@Alexanderc , I just saw your post. Small, inexpensive subwoofers may actually help the quality of bass in a small room...

TimW

Major Contributor
I own an SHD. DIRAC is easy to use once you get the SHD setup, but the setup can be a real PITA. If you're used to AVR style room correction and setup, and you're not used to using a computer to install drivers and software and do firmware updates, then it is not as easy as getting out of bed. I would hate trying to explain to my parents how to do this kind of thing. It wasn't hard for me until I tried to run DIRAC for the first time and it didn't recognize the SHD. I followed the instructions to a T, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, and searched for and found people complaining of the same issue on the miniDSP forums with no solutions available. In the end, the only way I got DIRAC to work with my unit was by using a different computer. I have two computers that work with DIRAC and two that do not, all running Windows 10. Updates seem to have made it more likely to work and also installing on a fresh OS without previous miniDSP plugin installations.

Other then that I like the SHD quite a bit. I find that Volumio totally sucks with any source other than Roon though. I own multiple miniDSP platforms so I'm accustom to how their plugins work and I really like their flexibility. The SHD should come preconfigured to work right out of the box, just remember that input 1 is left and input 2 is right. Output 1 and 3 is left, and 2 and 4 are right. At least that's how mine came if I remember correctly. The plugin settings are constant across all inputs, so changing inputs does not change DSP settings. I wish you could rename the inputs and set gain for each but that's not an option currently. They did add the option to turn off inputs though which is nice.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am one of those (closet :facepalm: but I guess I am out , now) SINAD chasers, I'd go for the minDSP + Purifi ... Once you are done with the Dirac se-up. You are back t chose a source and raise the volume. That is simplicity
@Alexanderc , I just saw your post. Small, inexpensive subwoofers may actually help the quality of bass in a small room...
When you know you can get the state of the art for not so much money (thanks to this forum), it becomes very tempting to go that route. If it weren't for all of you, I'd be saving up for a primaluna integrated :oops:

carlob

Forum Donor
there is nothing you should do besides download the software, connect cables, connect the shd to your computer, connect the mic, launch dirac and measure your room. For two channels the SHD will work out of the box, firmware would surely be the latest version. I found it so easy that a 10 years old could do it but I don't use windows computers. In my experience every software problem can be traced to windows, macs just work.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once I start buying things, speakers are going to be Revel f208 or Kef r7 (whichever I can get a better deal on probably--I have no local dealers for either and will probably not get a chance to compare them). Not using subs, just a 2.0 stereo setup. No need for HT bypass or anything like that.
Great choices of speakers , I would add a couple subs like rhythmik F12s or bigger. Both setups your are discussing will be great and support bass management as well as room correction. If you are not chasing the highest SINAD. I’d recommend the STR. It has better fit and finish and ease of use while still supporting plenty of fine tuning.

TimW

Major Contributor
If you add subs in the future, keep in mind that you will have to set up the crossovers and adjust phase/delay and volume manually with the SHD. You will probably want to take measurements to guide these adjustments. DIRAC does not adjust these settings for you.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you add subs in the future, keep in mind that you will have to set up the crossovers and adjust phase/delay and volume manually with the SHD. You will probably want to take measurements to guide these adjustments. DIRAC does not adjust these settings for you.
Anthem ARC Genesis does a good job with sub integration.

carlob

Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what's the point to spend 4x to buy worst measuring hardware? Spend the difference in oysters and champagne.
Btw I too have the Revel f208 and two svs subwoofers.
You make a good point. If sound quality for the money is optimized maybe better off buying a Denon 3700H for $900 and spending the difference on a couple of good subs.

Darvis

I have the STR integrated and their STR preamp as well. I do not hear a difference between them and the integrated, as you mention, is more convenient (cables, number of boxes). I do not know of any evidence that Dirac is better than the new ARC Genesis; the latter is very easy to use and very powerful if you have the knowledge to do some tweaking. I guess I would ask how important subwoofers are; I don't know the capabilities of the minDSP but the Anthem provides 2 sub outs and with ARC you can configure them as one sub in mono, two separate subs in mono or two separate subs in stereo. Great fun creating profiles with each configuration and listening for differences. Also, ARC Genesis will phase match your sub(s) to your mains. Again, I am not familiar with the capabilities of the miniDSP. I've sold a lot of Anthem gear (privately) over the years and it's a breeze to sell, great customer support, excellent reputation, and the ARC feature is a great selling point.
What's the difference between AR Genesis and ARC vanilla?

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
sorry i've never heard of ARC vanilla. ARC Genesis is the latest version of Anthem room correction software.
I assume he meant ARC “vanilla.” Like the plain version.

To @Darvis, I don’t think the new ARC Genesis is backward comparable with most old Anthem hardware.

Darvis

sorry i've never heard of ARC vanilla. ARC Genesis is the latest version of Anthem room correction software.
Sorry, I meant the previous version :)
I used to own an Anthem with ARC and it worked great, so I was wondering if Genesis was even better.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
The consensus from reviews is that it is much improved. I have used both and the new version has a much cleaner and easier to use interface, and the options for altering settings are much expanded, esp in the STR components. The "quick measure" function is a really useful tool for sub location, you can actually leave the testing on while you move the sub and watch what happens to the response curve. I enjoy using the program and look for an excuse to run it :)

Darvis

I assume he meant ARC “vanilla.” Like the plain version.

To @Darvis, I don’t think the new ARC Genesis is backward comparable with most old Anthem hardware.
My Anthem died anyway, I was just curious as how much of an improvement it was. I'm still on the market for a new avr. But I don't want to derail your thread :)

Darvis

The consensus from reviews is that it is much improved. I have used both and the new version has a much cleaner and easier to use interface, and the options for altering settings are much expanded, esp in the STR components. The "quick measure" function is a really useful tool for sub location, you can actually leave the testing on while you move the sub and watch what happens to the response curve. I enjoy using the program and look for an excuse to run it :)
Good to know! The old arc was not a joy to use. Do you still need to physically connect a pc to the avr?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to know! The old arc was not a joy to use. Do you still need to physically connect a pc to the avr?
You do not. I have my STR preamp connected to a wireless router via Ethernet. can update and run ARC over wireless network.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used Dirac on a MiniDsp SHD Studio and ARC on STR integrated IMO they both do a good job. I didn't find one easier to use than the other but I found I could play with adjustments more in Dirac. I like the tripod Anthem gives you, makes it a lot easier to position the mic. I sold the minidsp because I liked the one box solution of the Anthem integrated. That said I did have a problem with the SHD Studio when installing a plugin in Volumio, that I didn't care for, which bricked it. After a couple of emails with minidsp troubleshooting I had to take the micro flash card out of it and reflash with the file they sent me.

Top Bottom