• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apos vs. Amazon dac return refund.

gad

Anyone have experience with a return refund from Apos for a new non-defective dac that was used for less than 30 days. Only reason for return is not satisfied with purchase. I am considering whether to purchase a dac from Amazon or Apos. Apos would save me 10% sales tax. I have direct experience that Amazon returns are quick and hassle free, and no experience with Apos. Suspicious me would feel better knowing actual Apos customer experiences. I am in the USA.

Thanks,

gad-

jcadduono

You can trust Apos, here is their return policy: http://help.apos.audio/en/articles/3076135-apos-audio-30-day-return-policy

They are somewhat active on the forums here as well. (at least, they are watching threads for products they sell)
I have no experience doing returns with them, but their communication is top notch and I have no reason to doubt their policies.

I would definitely buy from Apos, as I'd much rather support them than Amazon as well.
From what I can tell, Apos is just as US subsidiary of Shenzhen Audio, which is who I normally purchase from anyway.
Even when ordering from Apos, my DAC shipped from Shenzhen Audio in China anyway lol, but it did so with 2 day worldwide DHL!
Shenzhen Audio has been a dream to deal with, and they even have an active Discord server (probably an expired link, you can ask me or them for a new link) for their customers to chat in that has both English and Chinese customer service!!!!

Also keep in mind that on Amazon, you're often dealing with third party sellers for this kind of stuff, though they try their best to keep their high ratings so you probably won't have issues with either company. Just make sure you keep all packaging and materials and return it in the same condition you received it and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

dpippel

I don't return stuff unless it's broken, I don't abuse the return policy,I know what I bought when I bought it,then people get mad when they charge a restocking fee.

Good for you. The return policies of online retailers are there for a reason. You can't touch what you're buying and you can't demo what you're buying, so companies like Apos, Amazon, etc. use the 30 day return policy, in part, as an enticement to make the purchase from them. A certain percentage of returns are factored into their business model, and a lot of them do very well selling customer returns as open-box. Look at Amazon. It's not like they're losing money.

So, unless someone is habitually abusing the situation in a premeditated way, there's really no moral high ground in saying "I don't return stuff unless it's broken." That's simply your personal choice.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Good for you. The return policies of online retailers are there for a reason. You can't touch what you're buying and you can't demo what you're buying, so companies like Apos, Amazon, etc. use the 30 day return policy, in part, as an enticement to make the purchase from them. A certain percentage of returns are factored into their business model, and a lot of them do very well selling customer returns as open-box. Look at Amazon. It's not like they're losing money.

So, unless someone is habitually abusing the situation in a premeditated way, there's really no moral high ground in saying "I don't return stuff unless it's broken." That's simply your personal choice.
Plenty of places where i live to demo stuff.

yodog

Yeah apos is the way to go. My e30 DAC was the inverted polarity factory defect model and they paid for the return shipping and shipped me out a new model with the fix, all paid by them, while being polite and respectful. One of the few places besides amazon that do let you return these types of things. The only other truly free companies that I’ve ever seen this level of customer service and no bs claims where return shipping is covered by them is SVS sound and Costco.

GeorgeWalk

I've bought a lot gear from Apos and I have nothing but good things to say about them. (Topping A90, D90. D50s, NX4 DSD, D10s) Their customer service is stellar. Their price matching is easy and quick. They refunded my shipping once because the item arrived a day late (I didn't even ask). Another time, they upgraded the shipping for free because they weren't sure it would meet the ToS.

They are not "A Piece of $h11t"

Rusty Shackleford

A
Piece
Of
Shit

Haha. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought of that acronym. Perhaps they saw it work for Schiit? Seriously, though, APOS has amazing customer service, and their personal warranty makes them the only place I’d buy several brands with reliability issues. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with APOS.

zelig

Forum Donor
I'm not saying the company is bad, they just have an unfortunate name. "A POS" is regular parlance on the Internets. Similar to the the Chevvy Nova in Mexico. They tried to market a car called "it doesn't go". Stupidity!

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not saying the company is bad, they just have an unfortunate name. "A POS" is regular parlance on the Internets. Similar to the the Chevvy Nova in Mexico. They tried to market a car called "it doesn't go". Stupidity!
Dammit now I’m going to think about this every time I go to their website.

Swza

I returned a Topping DAC to APOS Audio on 12/31 and haven't heard back anything from them except that they are running on a skeleton crew because of the pandemic. I completely understand but just wanted to make sure they have received it and that a refund is coming. According to the USPS it made it to their address in the Bay Area. I've tried to be respectful of their situation and have only inquired three times in the past three weeks about this but feel like I'm getting shafted.

Top Bottom