• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help - RME ADI-2 experts and preamp suggestions

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is there a mode that can be set with the RME where it will automatically convert my dsf files to any other lower rez format (say 192k) automatically and therefore avoid the loss of tone and volume controls? t prefer to not have to convert more than 3000 files for a new preamp.
I cant find this in the manual but maybe i missed it
The easiest is probably to use Roon.
It will stream DSD, either in DSD format or convert it to PCM on the fly, I think.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have jriver and am seeing if it does this on the fly. i think so as long as i do not have the settings on direct

dfuller

Major Contributor
is there a mode that can be set with the RME where it will automatically convert my dsf files to any other lower rez format (say 192k) automatically and therefore avoid the loss of tone and volume controls? t prefer to not have to convert more than 3000 files for a new preamp.
I cant find this in the manual but maybe i missed it
Yes it will do this unless it's in dsd direct mode.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Go for the Mcintosh. The RME is not audiophile by any means.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i have jriver and am seeing if it does this on the fly. i think so as long as i do not have the settings on direct

DSP, the highest frequencies is where DSD is used, just choose a lower PCM rating, say 176 or 352 kHz.

Attachments

• jriver dsp.jpg
    jriver dsp.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 89

randy777

After doing more research it appears as if the EQ is only available for analog mode.
The fact i cant change the volume is a big issue.
Still digging

I'm interested in this also. Did you reach a conclusion on whether the EQ is only available for analog mode?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested in this also. Did you reach a conclusion on whether the EQ is only available for analog mode?
You mean for DSD playback ?
Do you think it would make a difference to play it in, say, PCM 192k ?
Then you keep all DSP power.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave up on the RME due to the multiple issues with how i was going to use it. But, if i remember correctly, the EQ is not available for DSD playback, all others are good to go .... I think

randy777

You mean for DSD playback ?
Do you think it would make a difference to play it in, say, PCM 192k ?
Then you keep all DSP power.

Not sure about DSD as I haven't used it yet.

I meant in general if I am going all digital (USB->AES) would the equalizer be available or is it only available for analog outputs?

randy777

I gave up on the RME due to the multiple issues with how i was going to use it. But, if i remember correctly, the EQ is not available for DSD playback, all others are good to go .... I think

Thanks. Curious, what did you end up going with instead?

Top Bottom