• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning

BeepPeep_61

Happy Sunday everyone,
I listened to this album last night ,,,, a total relaxation !!
So I point it out to you as interesting news 2020.

Alexia Bomtempo - Suspiro
Artist: Alexia Bomtempo
Album: Suspiro
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Origin: USA
Released: 2020

Tracklist:
I’m in Love Again
Grão
Even Now
Suspiro
Eles Querem Amar
Mais Devagar
涙の河
Serpente
Fim de Sonho
Les Chansons d’Amour
Evergreen
Floating Away

Folder.jpg

Archsam

Hilary Kole is my favourite female jazz singer.

BeepPeep_61

Tonight I invite you to listen to a voice that was a pleasant surprise for me too.

Susie Arioli - All the Way

Artist: Susie Arioli
Album: All the Way
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Label: Jazzheads
Released: 2012

Tracklist:

My Funny Valentine (Rodgers-Hart) - 4:03
Time on My Hands (Adamson-Gordon-Youmans) - 4:16
Here's to the Losers (Segal-Wells) - 3:45
All the Way (Arlen-Cahn-Van Heusen-Mercer) - 3:07
Here's That Rainy Day (Burke-Van Heusen) - 2:55
It's Always You (Burke-Van Heusen) - 2:52
Forgetful (Handy-Segal) - 4:54
There's a Lull in My Life (Gordon-Revel) - 4:21
Come Rain or Come Shine (Arlen-Mercer) - 2:37
When Your Lover Has Gone (Swan) - 4:25
Un jour de difference (Delettre-Grever) - 3:23
Looking for a Boy (Gershwin-Gershwin) - 3:17
Time After Time (Cahn-Styne) - 3:16
Folder.jpg

Buster

Great tip. I just bought 'Don' 't You Cry' in high res. and the sound is indeed exceptional.
Yes it is astonishing that you can do that with only one microphone. I read in the liner notes that they spend quite some time getting the balance right.
That said I do find her "multi mic" albums very good as well.
these two are recorded live in the studio and both had great reviews in the audiophile press;

For those who prefer RedBook CD's. Her albums are also available directly from Carmen herself on her BandCamp site:https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/

a0511030959_2.jpg

BeepPeep_61

Good evening,
the news that I invite you to listen to tonight is ....

Claudia Bossle - Claudia Bossle

Artist: Claudia Bossle
Album: Claudia Bossle
Genre: Vocal Jazz, Bossa Nova
Label: Tratore

Tracklist:

Stompin' at the Savoy (Acústica)
Capim (Acústica)
Dejame Ir
Someting Stupid
Every Time We Say Goodbye
Influência do Jazz (Acústica)
Let's Stay Together
Holding Back the Years (Acústica)
Lotta Love (Acústica)
Stompin' at the Savoy (Instrumental)
Capim (Instrumental)
Influência do Jazz (Instrumental)
Holding Back the Years (Instrumental)
Lotta Love (Instrumental)
Folder.jpg

Buster

Here is a glowing review of the One Mic recording "Don't You Cry" from Carmen Gomes Inc.
a3568170116_7.jpg
album is available from these distributeurs;
https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/music (Redbook CD, Mp3, wav 44.1)
https://www.soundliaison.com/ (Flac, DXD, DSD)
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1030A-dont-you-cry ( DSD)

Carmen Gomes: Don't You Cry (Sound Liaison)
Many musicians can play jazz and blues, but few can sing the blues with total conviction and emotional authenticity.
Dutch singer-songwriter Carmen Gomes is one of those few.
A father from the Mediterranean region endowed Carmen Gomes not only with a Spanish-sounding name, but by her own description, with a Mediterranean temperament. At the margins of the culture, the world's differences meet; for Carmen Gomes, the language that gave her freedom of expression was not her native Dutch, but English; and the mode that encouraged her creativity was American jazz and blues. With a dozen previous albums in her catalogue, this accomplished singer, songwriter, teacher and vocal coach distills more than two decades of live performance and recording experience into "Don't You Cry", an hour of compelling jazz vocal music.
The selection and sequencing of the songs tells the story of a woman’s growing recognition that she must throw off the chains of love—false illusions, fears and insecurities—before she can find a more honest way of loving. From the opening "Unchain My Heart", a 1963 hit for Ray Charles, through two songs associated with the great Nina Simone, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and Simone's own assertion of female sensuality "Do I Move You", with stops along the way in the Deep South of the songwriter's imagination (Ira and George Gershwin's "Summertime") and the historical reality ("How Long", credited to Leroy Carr, originally written by blueswoman Ida Cox), the listener finally arrives at Gomes' original "As I Do." It's a one-hour trip from the depths of love's oppression to the renewed hope for a relationship between equal partners, cast in the languorous mode of sultry jazz singing and subtle instrumental accompaniment.

Gomes’ stylistic technique extends past the conventions of behind-the-beat phrasing. Listen to how she teases out the syllables, as if the lyrics themselves were musical notes, not just words on a page. On "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", she prolongs the vowel sounds through several shades of inflection. With her flawless pitch, the effect is entrancing. You might hear echoes of Billie Holliday, but her vocal sound has developed well beyond imitation to distinctive individuality.

The ensemble Carmen Gomes, Inc. is more than a singer and a backing group. Bassist Peter Bjørnild, whose session notes are posted on the Sound Liaison website, produced the record and arranged the songs in collaboration with Gomes, guitarist Folker Tettero and drummer Bert Kamsteeg. Tettero plays an archtop semi-hollow body guitar that has a warm timbre; his stylistic ears are well-tuned to blues idiom, especially the minor-key blues of the mid-1960s. Kamsteeg uses brushes throughout, and keeps superb time without ever overpowering the singer or other players. In bassist Peter Bjørnild, Gomes has found the deep instrumental 'voice' that complements her vocals, the glove that perfectly fits the hand. Their musical partnership is longstanding, and the trust that only years can bring is clearly in evidence.

The decision to record with a single-point stereo microphone came about after the group had already finished a recording session done with conventional multi-mic technique. The late delivery of a Josephson C700S stereo microphone prompted a test recording of a single tune; an afterwards, engineer and label co-owner Frans Rond was so convinced that the sound qualities of that track should be heard on a full recording, he reconvened two more sessions that consisted of the group's working repertoire, done almost entirely in single takes. Those sessions were recorded at MCO Studio 2, Hilversum, The Netherlands, on 26 October and 15 December 2018, in DXD 352.8 kHz. As Bjørnild explains:

"With only one mic… mixing was no longer possible. We would have to make the complete sound stage right there by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away, as well as left and right, in relationship to the microphone."

With an engineer of the capabilities of Frans Rond, mixing is no longer needed. The careful placement of the musicians and the control of group balance makes "Don't You Cry" one of the best-sounding "live in the room" audiophile recordings I've heard.

Not surprisingly, site listeners awarded "Don't You Cry" NativeDSD Vocal Album of the Year for 2019. I eagerly await the next release from Carmen Gomes Inc.

Mark Werlin, HRAudio.

BeepPeep_61

Good evening everyone, today I want to propose a novelty that has just come out.

Sarah Menescal is a rising star in the world of contemporary Bossa Nova.

Artist: Sarah Menescal
Album: Modern Jukebox
Genre: Bossa Nova, Latin Jazz, Lounge
Label: Music Brokers

Tracklist:

I Fall Apart (3:39)
Company (3:00)
Don't Speak - Reggae Version (4:03)
Love Hurts (2:56)
Shallow (3:14)
I'll Be There for You (3:17)
I Say a Little Prayer (3:15)
Streets of Love (5:01)
Stay on These Roads (3:46)
Forever (3:31)
All out of Love (2:55)
folder.jpg

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Franz Schubert, Der Hirt auf dem Felsen, with Elly Ameling, Jörg Demus (hammerklavier) and Hans Deinzer (clarinet).

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Travelogue_.jpg

Any track will do.

From the album of the same title.

From the album of the same name again, but it's all good.

Edith and the Kingpin from Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters.
I saw this album performed live by Herbie Hancock. It was brilliant.

BeepPeep_61

Good evening everyone,
today I want to invite you to listen to 36 minutes and 34 seconds of enjoyable music mixed with a pleasant voice ....

Dee Dee Davis – Straight from My Soul
Genre : Jazz
Release Date : 2020

Tracklist:
01. Straight from My Soul
02. Smile (Newurbanjazz Mix)
03. Could It Be Love
04. I Do
05. Old School Love
06. Straight from My Soul (Radio Edit)
07. Smile (Newurbanjazz Radio Edit)
08. Could It Be Love (Radio Edit)