• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don’t stand so close to me

VictorSF

Any recommendations for speakers that play nice close to the wall?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL makes , or used to make, a model designed to be placed near walls. IIRC Floyd Toole mentions it in his book.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or much better get a nice PEQ or DSP and you don't need anymore to hope that by trial'n'error you get a loudspeaker with the exact inverse bass frequency response of your room response.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or much better get a nice PEQ or DSP and you don't need anymore to hope that by trial'n'error you get a loudspeaker with the exact inverse bass frequency response of your room response.
True but it is not as easy as it seems to find the good settings.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not easy for a newbie but the result is more promising than buying loudspeakers by trial and error and with all smartphones you can nowadays measure the bass region sufficiently to correct the usually 2 problematic lower modes, there was even a nice method doing so by ear and adjusting the PEQs decribed by Neumann.

ttimer

Many companies make wall-mount speakers, which are designed for the application. Depending on what you consider "close", these may be a better option than standard speakers with unknown wall interaction characteristics.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Those have always intrigued me. I would love to see some real measurements on them, as most subjective reviews have been good. They rarely come up for sale in the used market, so either very few have been sold, or the owners of them are happy and don't feel the need to buy something else.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not easy for a newbie but the result is more promising than buying loudspeakers by trial and error and with all smartphones you can nowadays measure the bass region sufficiently to correct the usually 2 problematic lower modes, there was even a nice method doing so by ear and adjusting the PEQs decribed by Neumann.
Even Toole doesn't say anything 100% working to fight room modes, probably he is a n00b as well...

F1308

Major Contributor
Any recommendations for speakers that play nice close to the wall?

I was told speakers should be placed at a minimum of 35% the speed of sound divided by the lowest frequency at -3 db.

Given a temperature of around 25 Celsius, this gives 120/fqcy in meters.

So if your speaker goes as low as 55 at -3dB, minimum distance to avoid CANCELLING sounds is 120/55 or 2.2 meters.
For 80 Hz just 1.5 meters are called in.
Turns out floor standers go as low as 14 Hz, asking for 8,65 meters...and since they think you are not having such a room, they recommend placing them as close to the wall as feasible.

Funny, isn't it?

dortreo

KEF LS50Ws have a software adjustment for near-wall placement. For the used market, Revel M20s also have an adjustment for near-wall placement.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Carlsson OA-61. But probably difficult to get hold of for most.

tumblr_ppr87t9toy1t98t77o1_1280.jpg

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was told speakers should be placed at a minimum of 35% the speed of sound divided by the lowest frequency at -3 db.

So if your speaker goes as low as 55 at -3dB, minimum distance to avoid CANCELLING sounds is 120/55 or 2.2 meters.
Turns out floor standers go as low as 14 Hz, asking for 8,65 meters...and since they think you are not having such a room, they recommend placing them as close to the wall as feasible.

Funny, isn't it?
What for the other frequencies? -6dB ? -9dB?
That is to say: which slope?

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Funny, isn't it?

It works. To follow the formula I had to put my speakers and subs on the lawn, but no more standing wave issues.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Carlsson OA-61. But probably difficult to get hold of for most.

tumblr_ppr87t9toy1t98t77o1_1280.jpg

Stereophile had a review of their floorstanding speakers. Their measurements were awful. The manufacture wrote back saying it was because nearfield measurements don’t correctly capture their complex output, only in room. John Atkinson replyed pointing out that in room measurements were made and shown and they were poor.

Top Bottom