• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

T.J. Turner

Audiophoolery (or whatever we call it here).
You don't need any special power supply considering that the one sold with it it's powerful enough and has been chose for its purpose. If you read the review again Amir uses it and he has no issues and the FFT is clean from any 50/60Hz hums meaning the power stage is properly engineered)

Well it was the other way around. The comment was about using the included power supply for the best result as Amir had tested it. It was when the Youtube reviewer used a ifi power supply that he noted the quality deminished.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it was the other way around. The comment was about using the included power supply for the best result as Amir had tested it. It was when the Youtube reviewer used a ifi power supply that he noted the quality deminished.

Want to shout that one from the rooftops please? So many power supply queries/ myths floating around here recently.

Infernosaint

I haven't gotten my Modius yet, but I have a Modi, and the included "PSU" is really simple, so even IF the PSU would make a difference, I would think it could only get better, not worse.

zermak

As long as the power supply provides the requested electric current (Amperes), voltage (Volts) and mains frequency (50/60Hz) needed by the DAC to work properly I don't see how that's possible unless of course the power supply is somehow defective.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
So depressing to think how many people believe that power coming to their home is dirty enough that it rises to the level of producing audible effects with their gear. I do think in some settings that might be possible, but such settings must be rather extreme outliers. I shouldn't be surprised though. Just now on head-fi somebody posted in the SMSL M400 thread how the crystals used in the clocks were problematic. Like people can hear these minute differences. I asked the poster to tell me what these clock differences sounded like. Can't wait for that answer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So depressing to think how many people believe that power coming to their home is dirty enough that it rises to the level of producing audible effects with their gear. I do think in some settings that might be possible, but such settings must be rather extreme outliers. I shouldn't be surprised though. Just now on head-fi somebody posted in the SMSL M400 thread how the crystals used in the clocks were problematic. Like people can hear these minute differences. I asked the poster to tell me what these clock differences sounded like. Can't wait for that answer.

Probably like a veil, waiting to be lifted.

zermak

Glad I never jumped in such forums; well once in an Italian forum and they suggested me to get a AMP CAMP but thankfully I am a rational guy ahah and once on the DIY forum but it was useful cause they helped me on the crossover design for my 2-way speakers :p
Probably like a veil, waiting to be lifted.
Nope. Clinically with atomic-precision lifting ;)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
But it's possible to list percentages of components/origins.
Also, the definition of "assembled" is ambiguous.
I know that in some categories such as appliances a washing machine may be 95% assembled in Mexico then cross back over to the US where the last little bit of work is done and it can qualify for that Assembled in the USA. Not saying that is the case here, just your comment made me think of that. I wonder if any of that has changed since NAFTA was torn up and renegotiated?

If you have the SMSL Su8 v2 I would stick with it, the Modius measures better but I doubt you will find a tangible gain. While we are saving you money unless you have a lot of devices or want to move to 10be+ networking save your money for better speakers / cans if you are chasing a better SQ experience. Unless you have bargain basement switches that don’t actually meet the RFC Network standards you will get no gains from upgrading them in a consumer setting. “Audiophile” switches you see are pure drivel they take a cheap switch with bad characteristics add some clocks and claim they are now great, which is total BS. If you want to eliminate EMI/RFI completely use Fibre as its immune.

Switching power supplies used today use techniques that utilise much lower switching frequencies, which greatly alleviate EMI, crosstalk, and noise concerns. Which is why in a head to head you will see no difference in oucomes from a linear or switched power supply in small applications.

I’d point out they use switching PSU’s in satellites and other very sensitive applications. Walk into any top tier $300 million data centre facility and you will find it packed with switching power supplies. My $50,000 Mellanox Spectrum 100Gbe enterprise switch i use here at home also has 2 redundant switching power supplies.
Thank you. Now I am thinking to replace the Su8 v2 with Bitfrost 2 or Denafrips Ares 2, as I will see o better improvement than the Modius.
Regarding the switchers I saw a Great improvement replacing a $30 tplink for a $100 edgerouter x!! I will go fiber and thinking Implement it using the ether regen (it has fiber socket)
Thanks
Antônio

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Now I am thinking to replace the Su8 with Bitfrost 2 or Denafrips Ares 2, as I will see o better improvement than the Modius.
Regarding the switchers, I will go fiber and thinking Implement it using the ether regen (it has fiber socket)
Thanks
Antônio

Noooooooo. Read the review of the ether regen on here. Also, what improvements are you hoping to achieve by changing dacs full stop? The su8 is audibly transparent

Noooooooo. Read the review of the ether regen on here. Also, what improvements are you hoping to achieve by changing dacs full stop? The su8 is audibly transparent
Ok, I will read the ether regen review. So you think the Bitfrost 2 will not be a considerable improvement over the Su8v2?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I will read the ether regen review. So you think the Bitfrost 2 will not be a considerable improvement over the Su8v2?

I think nothing would be a considerable improvement over an SU-8 V2 sonically. its a good DAC. Unless you want something that is less than transparent (more distorted ) than the SMSL.

Now, if thats your thing, you're probably better looking for recommendations elsewhere.

I'll save you time reading the Ether regen review. It does nothing. Why would it?

Spend you money on better/ different speakers or headphones.

idiomatically

Thank you. Now I am thinking to replace the Su8 v2 with Bitfrost 2 or Denafrips Ares 2, as I will see o better improvement than the Modius.
Regarding the switchers I saw a Great improvement replacing a $30 tplink for a $100 edgerouter x!! I will go fiber and thinking Implement it using the ether regen (it has fiber socket)
Thanks
Antônio

If you are looking at a Schiit DAC, the only 2 worth looking at are the Modi 3 and the Modius, the others are over hyped, over priced and seriously out classed.

The Ether regen is snake oil, pure and smile. It cannot net you better SQ, it cannot alter the data packets in ANY way and be compatible with other network equipment, network standards and protocols are very exact thing. What changes with quality switches is the amount of data, throughput and speed they can handle. You will get zero SQ gains using one. The SFP port is a gigabit LC port, cheap and nasty in this era.

Seriously the Netgear XS708 10gbe Copper based switch would blow it out of the park in terms of network performance, you get 10gbe and get to save money.

Care to quantify how you saw a great improvement going from a tplink to a edgerouter? Ubiquiti and TP Link actually share a lot of the same components and design. TP Link, Ubiquiti, Cisco, HP, etc etc will all perform pretty much equally in the cheap sub $200 consumer range.

If you are looking at a Schiit DAC, the only 2 worth looking at are the Modi 3 and the Modius, the others are over hyped, over priced and seriously out classed.

The Ether regen is snake oil, pure and smile. It cannot net you better SQ, it cannot alter the data packets in ANY way and be compatible with other network equipment, network standards and protocols are very exact thing. What changes with quality switches is the amount of data, throughput and speed they can handle. You will get zero SQ gains using one. The SFP port is a gigabit LC port, cheap and nasty in this era.

Seriously the Netgear XS708 10gbe Copper based switch would blow it out of the park in terms of network performance, you get 10gbe and get to save money.

Care to quantify how you saw a great improvement going from a tplink to a edgerouter? Ubiquiti and TP Link actually share a lot of the same components and design. TP Link, Ubiquiti, Cisco, HP, etc etc will all perform pretty much equally in the cheap sub $200 consumer range.
Thank you.
Which Dac in the $700 price range would you recommend that will be a improvement over the Su8 V2???
Thanks again

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you.
Which Dac in the $700 price range would you recommend that will be a improvement over the Su8 V2???
Thanks again

None in any audible way. Pay for more features, customer support, build in Europe/US if it matters to you, that sort of thing. That's why the RME ADI-2 gets so many recommendations. Great performance, but that's not enough because $200 DACs already near state-of-the-art - it justifies its price with more useful features like very well-designed headphone amplification, built-in EQ functionality etc.

idiomatically

Thank you.
Thanks again

What do you not actually like about the Su8 V2? It’s actually quite a very good DAC, are their other features your are looking for? a different aesthetic maybe? If you are hell bent on spending $700 on a new DAC get a Topping D90, it’s better performance wise, will it be tangible to you? Who knows, but you can‘t really go wrong. Personally SQ is only part of the puzzle, features, interface, outputs, aesthetics all play a part.

There are plenty of good DACs I would refuse to own simply cause they look crap or don’t offer balanced outputs etc. The question is what pain point are you trying to solve? Btw I love my RME ADI2-FS and I enjoy the much cheaper Modius, even though somethings about it annoy the crap out of me. On paper the Modius is a better DAC than my JDS Labs El Dac2, but the El Dac2 is the better of the pair for my purposes simply cause it has software volume control and the Modius doesn’t, now if only it has XLR outs.

None in any audible way. Pay for more features, customer support, build in Europe/US if it matters to you, that sort of thing. That's why the RME ADI-2 gets so many recommendations. Great performance, but that's not enough because $200 DACs already near state-of-the-art - it justifies its price with more useful features like very well-designed headphone amplification, built-in EQ functionality etc.
I do not need more features. So I will stay with the Su8v2 for the moment. Thanks

What do you not actually like about the Su8 V2? It’s actually quite a very good DAC, are their other features your are looking for? a different aesthetic maybe? If you are hell bent on spending $700 on a new DAC get a Topping D90, it’s better performance wise, will it be tangible to you? Who knows, but you can‘t really go wrong. Personally SQ is only part of the puzzle, features, interface, outputs, aesthetics all play a part.

There are plenty of good DACs I would refuse to own simply cause they look crap or don’t offer balanced outputs etc. The question is what pain point are you trying to solve? Btw I love my RME ADI2-FS and I enjoy the much cheaper Modius, even though somethings about it annoy the crap out of me. On paper the Modius is a better DAC than my JDS Labs El Dac2, but the El Dac2 is the better of the pair for my purposes simply cause it has software volume control and the Modius doesn’t, now if only it has XLR outs.
The only feature I don’t need in su8v2 is the volume control as I have a full featured pre amp. Actually Is hard to believe that a $250 Dac is so good. I was in “upgrade mode”. Now I am in “music mode”. Thanks

Top Bottom