• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I set up my measurement equipment again and checked my new DIY subs, at LP. I also bought the new Marantz small receiver and used the Audyssey app. I only use it for the sub to fix the main room mode at around 47 Hz. Compared to previous measurements I also have installed a new carpet in the room + lowered the tweeter by 0,5 dB or so.

Old subs with no correction < 80 Hz:

Rumsrespons medel.png

New subs with correction:
Room 200707_48octave.png

And 1/6 octave smoothing:
Room 200707.png

The dip around 800 Hz is due to interference of listener back wall (I sit close to it).

Coach_Kaarlo

I have been enjoying the challenge of using the MMM to find the best fit for each channel.

My room is asymmetrical, bright, and has some difficult modes.

One of many useful tips which really helped was to measure with REW and MMM first to create a PEQ for the miniDSP SHD Studio BEFORE starting the DIRAC measurements. PEQ does heavier lifting, and seems to give DIRAC more room to fine tune. Clarity and space seem better.

Just trying to find the balance now in the bottom end - the suckouts are huge and noticeable.

And also trying to be careful about over driving my woofer (crossover is at 500 Hz) - not sure how to check this.....?

FYI - Measured response is within a dB or two of the predicted so not included.

MMM_BOTH AVERAGES.jpg
MMM_CORRECTED_BOTH AVERAGES.jpg

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MMM from LP at 3,5m/11 feet distance - both speakers playing. Only manual PEQs involved.

MMM LP - modified HF settings.jpg

After hundreds of hours measuring, fiddling with manual EQ, Audiolense, Dirac and listening to music and movies, the MMM technique is the only measurement method I've found that describes the sound I hear in a meaningful way.

I think the area between 20-400 hz is the most important by far. With manual EQ I simply cannot touch Audiolense or Dirac in that area.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
red uncorrected, green corrected (1/48 smoothing)

fr.jpg

and since my phase is also corrected (sorry, should have hidden that box, but you get the idea)

phase.jpg

ETC shows the extreme clarity gain (and the pre-ringin; nothing is free in life lol)

etc0_1ms.jpg

Kustomize

I'm impressed with how flat most of the submitted SPL charts have been even without EQ. Here are my Sonus Faber monitors. My problem is mostly in the time domain.

I've been considering subwoofers for awhile now to extend the low end. I would run the gauntlet if I knew I would like the result. My problem is that I've never heard a great subwoofer set-up. Maybe this summer I'll audition some at the few remaining HiFi stores.

View attachment 68400

I was the same way! I thought subwoofers never really integrated well, and the bass from just speakers always sounded better, even if it was less than that of the subwoofer!

TILL, I heard a PROPER integrated setup with DUAL subwoofers, 1 in each opposite diagonal corner. One was placed to the right of the Front Right speaker, the other was to the left of the listening position. Crossed @ 80hz, corrected with Audyssey XT32, it sounded AMAZING. I guess setups with dual subwoofers make a big difference because you get way more bass spread out throughout the whole room, otherwise with 1 all other seats are left with boominess, atleast in my case! I just ordered a second subwoofer for me, its a cheap one, but 2 is DEFINITELY better than 1, I am a believer!

dasdoing

Major Contributor
personaly my system is not optimized for the (a flat) uncorrected graph. speakers are in the corners (touching), what causes bass bosst and low mid attenuation.
this gives me 3 advantages:
- I minimize Speaker-Boundary Interference dips
- it gives my bass power for the DSP bass extension
- I can use a bigger stereo triangle.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Room is 6m long 3.8m wide 3.13 m height . Measurement with Revel F36 90cm from front wall and moving mic from back wall to room center in 16 steps. No room treatment, no DSP. White is average of all and quite similar to my actual LP 4,2m fromm front wall .1/6 smootingView attachment 70342

With and without room EQ, forgot the smoothing used, looks like Psycoacoustic
View attachment 70343

Room correction below 1000hz only 1/6 smoothing. Single point.
View attachment 70344

Added measurement with speaker at short wall.. vs speaker on long wall, and some in room measurements compared with anechoic data.

First listening with speaker on short wall( green) and short wall( left speaker only). Short wall giver much more even bass!!
capture-jpg.653309

*I use one trick here I keep the door behind listening position on the long wall open, that gives 5m to the next reflecting wall. The bass is quite similar with the door closed, but bass becomes elevated .

Capture.JPG

When I was at is it I checked the directivity of my speaker by turning a speaker from 0 to 90 degrees towards the microphone (2m distance)
The curve is affected by the room below 1000Hz, but above 1000Hz it may be the correct indication
capture-jpg.653319

I end with a rather hairy plot showing, from top to bottom (for left speaker)
1. Measurements taken at home at 2m with different speaker angles, section of listening window is white curve
2. Manufacturer's anechoic measurements (Revel F36 Harman)
3.My measurements on-axis speaker (2m) with time window to minimize initial reflections (floor at 2.3ms)
4. My room measurements in of left speaker in arrangement on long wall.
capture-jpg.653320

There are a number of similarities between home measurements and manufacturer measurements, especially at the top octave.
I think the Revel F36 performs quite well, and sounds good too. I plan to move speakers to the long wall permanently, it requires some modification of doors and a fireplace to accomplish. I rather spend money on that than more expensive speakers for now.

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Comparing with the best of the best.. Striking example of what speaker placement can do in bottom graph ( Red =speaker on long wall, Green =speaker on short wall in room 5-6m long and 4/8m wide... )
capture3-jpg.654306

lmaobrah

Just 1st day unboxing the mic and test. Bookshelf speaker using Vifa NE180 + Scanspeak 9500

Before EQ
117133000_797760927719621_1215743705856051769_n.png

After EQ
117305037_2932593313513619_6728971799484699675_n.png

- Not sure why but I prefer the before EQ sound, any idea?
- Response graph wise, which one should be better?
- Any recommendation?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just 1st day unboxing the mic and test. Bookshelf speaker using Vifa NE180 + Scanspeak 9500

Before EQ
View attachment 77552

After EQ
View attachment 77553

- Not sure why but I prefer the before EQ sound, any idea?
- Response graph wise, which one should be better?
- Any recommendation?

- Try just EQ below 200 Hz
- Increase the level < 100 Hz.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
One of my 22 year-old B&W 804s recently lost a voice coil, so I am using my KEF LS50s in my media room, until I decide on a permanent replacement. After buying, filling, and Dynamat-ing a pair of Monoprice Monolith stands, I was ready to position and measure this past weekend. I measured left, right, and stereo from the listening position using REW and the MMM. To check my work, I generated a stereo PEQ filter, loaded it into Equalizer APO, and measured the stereo results. Here is that measurement with psychoacoustic smoothing against my target:

LS50 Stereo MMM Corrected.png

I think this somewhat illustrates why people love LS50s despite their middling Olive score. When positioned properly in a room and driven with decent amplification, they can sound much bigger than their anechoic measurements--especially with a little EQ.

In one listening pathway, I will be using 7 bands of PEQ per channel in my Yamaha AVR's manual EQ. The frequencies and Qs will have to be adjusted, as its PEQ has fixed frequency and Q steps. I can usually get very close, however. Good enough for TV and movies.

My other listening pathway includes a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI between the streamer and DAC. It has 6 bands of PEQ per channel and will also receive custom filters per side.

The results of both pathways should look very similar to the above, possibly slightly better, but those pathways are much more difficult to measure.

Here is the before and after comparison with variable smoothing:

KEF LS50 Stereo MMM Media Room Comparison.png

No subs were included in these measurements, although I have two SVS SB2000 subs. That's a fight for a different day.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
15-20khz 1-6 smoothing.jpg

Arendal Sound 1723 Tower S with dual subs, green is natural in-room response, blue is with Audyssey, and some adjustments of the subwoofers. :) Pretty happy with the sound. Full and powerful bottom-end, and clean and clear midrange and upper frequency range, but with no harshness or listening fatigue.

Zedly

Forum Donor
Here is my attempt at a Harman-like curve, using Audyssey and the MultiEQ app. Unfortunately, an SBIR issue is causing a null around 100 Hz that messes up the low-frequency rise.

2020-09-11 19_01_54-REW V5.20 Beta 60.png

Daverz

Major Contributor
TL;DR: Buchardt S400 with (green) and without (gold) subwoofer. DRC used for both setups, var smoothing:

S400+XDw.jpg

I'm experimenting with adding a subwoofer to the Buchardt S400s using a Behringer digital crossover (Ultradrive Pro DCX2496). I'm using the NHT XDw subwoofer that came with my NHT XD system and apply the same aggressive crossover point as NHT uses, 110 Hz, and 48 dB/octave Linkwitz-Reilly filters. I also apply digital room correction using DRC-FIR (using brutefir on the music server as a convolution engine).

It's interesting that with the room correction, the S400s make it down to 35 Hz by themselves. The unfortunate room node at 30 Hz complicates things. However, the bass does sound a lot more authoritative with the subwoofer. Using the subwoofer does seem to take some strain off the Buchardt's, though at my conservative listening volume, I'm not sure how much that's objectively the case. Also note the dip at 133 Hz due to a room node at the location of the subwoofer between the speakers, which I could probably mitigate by moving the crossover point.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Bass rolls off a bit early, otherwise looks good! :) Smaller / 2-way speakers I assume?

DBR62

I don't have any DSP. EQ'd in neanderthal fashion...but the speakers sounded good right out of the box and didn't need much work really. The bass roll-off isn't really evident in the room. It's a "boomy" space unfortunately...

LearningToSmile

Not sure how good the measurements are since I only just got my UMIK this week, but : JBL308p mkII, 6 measurement average around listening position(I'll play around with the MMM in the future), 1/6 smoothing:
308p.png

No EQ, speakers set to HF trim 0dB and boundary EQ 0dB. Overall mostly makes sense given they're in my pretty small home office room.

I'll probably wait with trying to EQ them until I have get my subwoofer next month.

sfdoddsy

Davone Solo (think prettier F208) full range from the listening position. The treble rise is a mic issue.
Davone Solo FR.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom