• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac and power supply

JediMa

I've read that many DACs like Topping D50S don't have power supply ,I'm very confused about this, I've read somewhere that if they are not dac-amp USB is fine on others i've that sounds quality is copromised
This said, I was wondering if this one would be ok for a Topping D50s
power.jpg

Last edited:

zermak

In the review Amir used the bundled DC to USB cable and connected it directly on one of the USB output in his workstation and the measurements are excellent. If you don't wanna use or occupy any ither USB port on your computer you can use a phone charger as long as it outputs 5V 1A.
No need for any fancy power supply and (if the power supply you are using is not causing any issues) a better one will not improve anything.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

In the review Amir used the bundled DC to USB cable and connected it directly on one of the USB output in his workstation and the measurements are excellent. If you don't wanna use or occupy any ither USB port on your computer you can use a phone charger as long as it outputs 5V 1A.
No need for any fancy power supply and (if the power supply you are using is not causing any issues) a better one will not improve anything.
Firstable thanks a lot, USB ports are never enough (although I have a powered USB hub 3.0) So I could use a charger if the one I posted here above works

zermak

Just seen your edit with the photo of the charger. According to Topping you need 5V 1A to power it so that's not enough (550mA). You can use the ones with the quick charge capabilities and such stuff if you have a spare one and they will likely output enough amperes needed for the DAC.

And it must be DC indeed, the one you mentioned is unknown and it could be AC and not going to work anyway.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The D50s is designed to use just about any USB power source (EDIT: with enough amperage). An available USB output on a PC or any smartphone charger (EDIT: with an output capability of 1A or more) should be fine. It (and other well designed DACs) has filtering and voltage regulation targeted at the specific crap you get from USB.

As far as I know Topping only introduced the P50 after countless people who has zero practical experience with electronics kept demanding a linear supply. A linear PSU is great for many applications, but it's not a magical device that makes anything better. It can only fix problems if they existed in the first place.

Do you need linear power supply for DACs?

EDIT: Tooo slow :D

Last edited:

zermak

That should work and it is likely DC.
The D50s is designed to use just about any USB power source. An available USB output on a PC or any smartphone charger should be fine. It (and other well designed DACs) has filtering and voltage regulation targeted at the specific crap you get from USB.

As far as I know Topping only introduced the P50 after countless people who has zero practical experience with electronics kept demanding a linear supply. A linear PSU is great for many applications, but it's not a magical device that makes anything better. It can only fix problems if they existed in the first place.

Do you need linear power supply for DACs?

EDIT: Tooo slow :D
USB 2.0 on PC are rated at 500mA and USB 3.0 at 900mA. I think Amir didn't have any troubles because he didn't test the Bluetooth but I guess 2,5W are probably enough for the DAC and BT to work together and Topping claims 1A just to be on the safe side.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
USB 2.0 on PC are rated at 500mA and USB 3.0 at 900mA. I think Amir didn't have any troubles because he didn't test the Bluetooth but I guess 2,5W are probably enough for the DAC and BT to work together and Topping claims 1A just to be on the safe side.

Good point. I've corrected my post :)

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one of these on my desk
USB Type A and C Charger
It stands upright and charges just about anything, including the D50s.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Top Bottom