• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So now the question is X3700H or X4700H for me. Debating if I need the extra features or not. Leaning towards saving the difference and putting that towards a better subwoofer.

If you can wait the 4000 series price typically would drop to almost the same as the lower series.

theory

If you can wait the 4000 series price typically would drop to almost the same as the lower series.
Not really looking to wait too long since I’m putting together my first ht setup. Was thinking of sticking with the X3700H as a start and upgrade maybe 5 years down the line to whatever the 4000 series is then and put the difference towards my subwoofer.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, specially Marantz NR1711, NR1510 and the other "slim" AVRs in the NR series. I am curious about those too.

Yeah and since those slimline models don't have HDAM, I would be curious see if they measure better in SINAD at up to 1.4 V, they won't do too good at higher voltage because there is no way to disconnect the power amps. At up to 1.4 V they should get 95 dB SINAD because the signal chain parts and circuitry from input to pre-out look the same as Denon's.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really looking to wait too long since I’m putting together my first ht setup. Was thinking of sticking with the X3700H as a start and upgrade maybe 5 years down the line to whatever the 4000 series is then and put the difference towards my subwoofer.

To me the front HDMI port is a must because it makes using REW much easier but that alone can't justify hundreds of dollars more. To pay that much more, imo one would have to plan on using all, or almost all of the additional features of the 4700.

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
If you mean downmixing, I have not tested it here but I am confident it has the same issue.
thanks. agree that the x3700h is a better value, if you don’t want to pay extra for added power, Auro 3d, and front HDMI input of the x4700h, whose dound quality essentially tied this unit (average 0.425 db less sinad 2ch). to quote Amir’s revised x4700h review:

“Subsequent to the review, Denon Engineering contacted me and shared measurements with me which did not at all show the problem I was seeing. They ran the same measurements on the Denon AVR-X3600 (last generation model) that showed similar or same performance. Their work was first class and I could not find any fault with their methodology. I think I can speak for them that they could not see or explain why I would get different results.”

I personally stretched for the x4700h and am glad I did—if only to avoid need for an external amp for my 4 ohm FL & FR towers, and b/c I’m enjoying the Auro 3d upmixer more than I realized I would. Even then, close call.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference in attenuation is likely the AL32 at work between the X6700H/X4700H and the X3700H. There is a different pattern between the two, although the X6700H isn't as good as the X4700H either.

bobopich

To me the front HDMI port is a must because it makes using REW much easier but that alone can't justify hundreds of dollars more. To pay that much more, imo one would have to plan on using all, or almost all of the additional features of the 4700.
Interesting that x3600 has front HDMI port and this new midel is missing.

theory

Yes the front port would be nice. There’s always the x3600 too I guess but not much difference in price between the x3600 and X3700H currently with the high prices of the X3600H. My vendor was also offering 1099 for the X3700H. Maybe when the next models offer more than just the single hdmi 8k port. Also much easier to waiting when you have a system up and running.

Figured money would best be spent towards sub/speakers since that will probably make the biggest difference in sound. I feel like the difference between the AVRs is like splitting hairs compared to the difference speakers/sub can make in the overall picture of things.

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
Ah, and don’t forget the importance of that front HDMI port when the grandkids come over and want to hook their game console up to your AVR. I don’t want them messing around with the back/pulling the AVR out!

theory

Ah, and don’t forget the importance of that front HDMI port when the grandkids come over and want to hook their game console up to your AVR. I don’t want them messing around with the back/pulling the AVR out!
I’ll probably just leave a long hdmi cable out since I don’t have a rack for my current setup.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that x3600 has front HDMI port and this new midel is missing.

They give you an 8 K input port, and a full pre-amp mode at the same price. So I guess on a fixed budget they have to cut back on something else.:)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the front port would be nice. There’s always the x3600 too I guess but not much difference in price between the x3600 and X3700H currently with the high prices of the X3600H. My vendor was also offering 1099 for the X3700H. Maybe when the next models offer more than just the single hdmi 8k port. Also much easier to waiting when you have a system up and running.

Figured money would best be spent towards sub/speakers since that will probably make the biggest difference in sound. I feel like the difference between the AVRs is like splitting hairs compared to the difference speakers/sub can make in the overall picture of things.

For $1,099? That's good for a 7.1.4 and 8K capable AVR, especially if you consider the internal amps measured better than a few separate power amps and integrated amps Amir also measured. Even the Outlaw M2200 monoblock with a full panther on top managed only 85.5 dB SINAD in the 5 W test, vs the 3600/3700's 88 dB.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Really nice review..Puts to bed what AVRs to look at if you have decided on an AVR.

Also provides an alternate for a stereo only system. The PS/transformer obviously provide more margin when only called on to drive 2 or 3 channels. Plus you get Audessey XT32. And even though you might be a 'stereo is enough' type - you can in future change your mind..:)

Thanks again Amir!

theory

For $1,099? That's good for a 7.1.4 and 8K capable AVR, especially if you consider the internal amps measured better than a few separate power amps and integrated amps Amir also measured. Even the Outlaw M2200 monoblock with a full panther on top managed only 85.5 dB SINAD in the 5 W test, vs the 3600/3700's 88 dB.
They were also offering me the X4700H at a slight discount but the difference between the two would still be $450-500 difference. I keep going back and forth but the X3700H would be the best bang for the buck since I’m only looking at a 5.1 system to start so Auro3D probably offers me little. Thinking it would be smarter to invest more into speakers first until I have a full setup then see what AVR offerings there would be at that time. Glad to see the X3700H runs a bit cooler.

Last edited:

ririt

Thanks Amir great review!
What is the SINAD of the center channel still connected to its amp when L and R amps are off?

Top Bottom