• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

lupoal

-D90 is nominal 2V out. Are you sure iFi is not in variable output mode?
-In any case higher output into the Little Dot will not hurt it, no.

I'm driving the Ifi via NUC-Rock, in the setting the volume control is disabled and the volume knob is at minimun, just after the "click" that turn it ON... between the D90 and the OTL I use a Mogami cable and between the IFi and the OTL a Proaudio cable, both are 1m long so I can't think there can be such high voltage drop in the Proaudio... it's a mistere

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks,

Really naive and maybe stupid question about D90+A90 and I just need a short answer:
You drive the D90 as straight dac with no preamp function right (0db) and that directly into the A90.
If so, how do you "see" the volume level on the panel :rolleyes:

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Hi folks,

Really naive and maybe stupid question about D90+A90 and I just need a short answer:
You drive the D90 as straight dac with no preamp function right (0db) and that directly into the A90.
If so, how do you "see" the volume level on the panel :rolleyes:

When you drive the D90 DAC with no preamp function (in DAC mode) you don't see any volume indication on the D90 display, because you change the volume with the A90 in this case. So you see the volume indication on the A90 and not on the D90.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Andy, you mean that there is a digital panel on the A90 and you can see the digits of the volume attenuation on the A90 ?

My point is that you loose that function of displaying the volume level, right ? (just that point, surely the sound is better in case you disable the the D90's preamp's function, no doubt).

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Non, or yes related :

Any news about the P90 ? I'm eager about it for above display reason among others .

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Hey Andy, you mean that there is a digital panel on the A90 and you can see the digits of the volume attenuation on the A90 ?

My point is that you loose that function of displaying the volume level, right ? (just that point, surely the sound is better in case you disable the the D90's preamp's function, no doubt).
You indeed loose the volume indication on the DAC. You have to do with whatever indication you have on the contraption you regulate the volume with. In the case of the A90 that would be the volume knob. There won't magically appear a display when there isn't one ;)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to say no. Because who would really need that? But it may work in native mode in linux.
If one is to up-sample via Roon from PCM to DSD512 with a streamer such as the Allo USBridge.

Top Bottom