• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X3700H or Marantz SR6015?

xcomp666

Hey Guys!
First of all. I really love this forum content. So, I am looking for a new AVR to replace my old's NR1506 that I bought 4 years ago.
I am interested in the new 8k Denon/Marantz lineup but I would like to hear from you guys. What's your recommendation?
Denon X3700H or Marantz SR6015 ?

Basically, my daily use is 60% music (stereo mode), 20% games, and 20% movies.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
very short recommendation: buy the cheapest one which has all the features you want. A 1-2 years old model at ~50% of the price might just be the best option.

Reactions: PSO

John Galt

Forum Donor
Hey Guys!
First of all. I really love this forum content. So, I am looking for a new AVR to replace my old's NR1506 that I bought 4 years ago.
I am interested in the new 8k Denon/Marantz lineup but I would like to hear from you guys. What's your recommendation?
Denon X3700H or Marantz SR6015 ?

Basically, my daily use is 60% music (stereo mode), 20% games, and 20% movies.

I'd wait to see Amir's review of the 3700, which should be complete in a week or two according to him.

zelig

Forum Donor
We (the royal Amir "we" that is) already don't like the Marantz because of its silly little porthole display.

I'm making a prediction that both of these units will receive a shrugging panther. Their amps will perform well but their DACs will have high noise floors and lots of harmonics/jitter. They will both run hot enough to toast marshmallows and make smores. Overall both units will perform similarly. The Denon will ultimately be the pick of the two thanks to its "big boy with long trousers" display.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought Marantz was more likely to have poor sound quality.

ta240

Major Contributor
We (the royal Amir "we" that is) already don't like the Marantz because of its silly little porthole display.

That is the strangest display, is that something they were known for going back or just added in recent years?

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
I'd wait to see Amir's review of the 3700, which should be complete in a week or two according to him.

That sounds like forever. I thought he said a few days, a couple days ago??

I also think the x3700h has a better chance to review well than the SR6015 based on the previous generation’s reviews. I just received my x3700h this week and that’s what I’m banking on.

Webninja

Forum Donor
As an owner of a Marantz and Denon AVRs, from the testing thus far, I’m going Denon from now on. Only question is what model to get, 3700 is on the top of my list.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It seems that Marantz AVRs are tuned by ear and the changes for that degrade measured performance. Add this to the porthole display and until proven otherwise, I would go with Denon line.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds like forever. I thought he said a few days, a couple days ago??

I also think the x3700h has a better chance to review well than the SR6015 based on the previous generation’s reviews. I just received my x3700h this week and that’s what I’m banking on.

In terms of objective reviews such as ASR's measurements, the X3600H is significantly better than the 6014, so the X3700H will likely be better than the 6015. Subjective reviews will be a different story, because it is then subjective by nature, and reviewers could even be bias by previous reviews by others. So I think some people will still go with Marantz regardless of the measurements, even if they don't need the unique features Marantz offers.

OP
xcomp666

xcomp666

It seems that Marantz AVRs are tuned by ear and the changes for that degrade measured performance. Add this to the porthole display and until proven otherwise, I would go with Denon line.
Yep! Now my biggest question is x3700h or x4700h ? My plan is stick with my next AVR for at least 5 years.

OP
xcomp666

xcomp666

I will wait until the next month. probably until there, more Marantz reviews going to showing up or even some pronouncement from yamaha!

Daddy-o

I listened to a Marantz 5014 and Denon X2600H today at Best Buy. I thought they sounded pretty much similar with the Marantz having a tad more clarity especially in the low range. I will tell you I am a retired musician having played in orchestras, chamber music, rock, soul, jazz, and r&b. I know you have to not take Best Buy setups that seriously for comparison, but I did listen to the receivers through the same speakers, Definitive Technology 8 inch towers. I see that Denon “looks” better than Marantz but the difference just from listening is not that different.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened to a Marantz 5014 and Denon X2600H today at Best Buy. I thought they sounded pretty much similar with the Marantz having a tad more clarity especially in the low range. I will tell you I am a retired musician having played in orchestras, chamber music, rock, soul, jazz, and r&b. I know you have to not take Best Buy setups that seriously for comparison, but I did listen to the receivers through the same speakers, Definitive Technology 8 inch towers. I see that Denon “looks” better than Marantz but the difference just from listening is not that different.

Were they both in direct mode, with no DSP, no Auyssey effects? Are you aware that there is an hearsay thing about Marantz is better for music, so you might have a natural bias already. Regardless, if you know which one you are listening to, it doesn't matter what you are thinking at the time..., that's not me who said that, but from some presumably much more knowledgeable people than me..:D Anyway, it is good to hear from a musician who found the two sound so similar, whether the comparison test is 100% valid or not. Thank you.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sighted listening in a store is the worst way to evaluate a stereo. Even if you knew exactly what to listen for to differentiate, you probably couldn't blind in a best buy. Too loud and badly set up.

Daddy-o

Were they both in direct mode, with no DSP, no Auyssey effects? Are you aware that there is an hearsay thing about Marantz is better for music, so you might have a natural bias already. Regardless, if you know which one you are listening to, it doesn't matter what you are thinking at the time..., that's not me who said that, but from some presumably much more knowledgeable people than me..:D Anyway, it is good to hear from a musician who found the two sound so similar, whether the comparison test is 100% valid or not. Thank you.
Like I intimated, it was Best Buy.

chaitubtech14

I have heard the difference in sound between Marantz and Denon . Marantz sounded bit deep for mnusic as well as movies. Denon sounded flat to me .

But measurements state otherwise from Amir reviews. Should i take measurement into consideration at all ?

I compared , Denon X3600H , Denon 4700H , Marantz Sr6014, Marantz Sr7013

Any thoughts?

Arcam AVR390 sounded above all . I am confused now

Top Bottom