• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best SciFi movies

North_Sky

Major Contributor

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I think Ellison's best talent was as a screenwriter and director/producer of scifi.

I met Harlan while at MIT back when there was nothing but film, I booked films for Friday night and sometimes Sunday. He got us a 16mm print of The City on the Edge of Forever from Paramount and gave a talk after. At that time he seemed totally reasonable. OTOH I thought his infringement claim against The Terminator over an episode of The Outer Limits was a real stretch.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone have seen this one?
That's . . . . . . different...in the most peculiar way...up there in the sci-fi world.

So many sci-fi flicks so little time.

Thanks for the reminder: I had been wondering what became of "Vivarium" but I see it's currently available for streaming via iTunes..

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reminder: I had been wondering what became of "Vivarium" but I see it's currently available for streaming via iTunes..

I don't recall if this title was previously mentioned. I thought about it few days ago, didn't bother mentioning it, and today I did.
Because we take our sci-fi flicks seriously. ...Great escape from a traumatizing reality ...
Vivarium is the proper antidote ... ;) ... the right recommended dose.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I met Harlan while at MIT back when there was nothing but film, I booked films for Friday night and sometimes Sunday. He got us a 16mm print of The City on the Edge of Forever from Paramount and gave a talk after. At that time he seemed totally reasonable. OTOH I thought his infringement claim against The Terminator over an episode of The Outer Limits was a real stretch.
I would have liked to have met him at some point.

I remember an interview when he was mad at Roddenberry for how they changed The City on the Edge of Forever. He claimed it wasn't supposed to be a city in ruin, but the crew read runes and didn't know the difference which seems improbable. I like many think that the best Star Trek episode ever. When he described how he wanted it done vs how it was done I have to say it would have resulted in an even better episode.

I think in the 1980's when they revived the Twilight Zone his involvement resulted in some of the best TV episodes ever done. But once again, he couldn't get along with others and he was out I seem to recall after midway of the first season. Though I believe he did contribute some stories the 2nd season after all. I remember at least 2 stood out though he did more than two episdoes, Shatterday with Bruce Willis, and Paladin of the Lost hour.

We are lucky for what he managed to do I suppose. His stories,books, TV and other things are better than not having them.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I would have liked to have met him at some point.

I remember an interview when he was mad at Roddenberry for how they changed The City on the Edge of Forever.

My favorite Star Trek ornament BTW, though it needed re-caping after all these years. :)

blackmetalboon

This is a great topic.

The blockbuster Chinese Movie The Wandering Earth, based on the book by Liu Cixin. Movie has grossed in the region of $700,000,000 worldwide since its release in February 2019. While an enjoyable movie, the book (novella I'm told by the Literary Boffin in our house) is much more engaging.

This only seems to be available on Netflix:( hopefully this will be released on Blu-ray at some point.

@scott wurcer when I was young I spent many late nights watching B&W B-Movie horror, monster & Sci-Fi flicks, do you have any other recommendations?

Top Bottom