• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

PeteL

Major Contributor
You're kidding, right? I can get an entire arduino board with wifi - retail - for $18. What would it cost - each - to buy 5,000 of them? With wifi could be $50 more for a big fat margin and $150 total retail price. Load with free volumio software. https://store.arduino.cc/usa/nano-33-iot
Yes you can do that, I was talking about a finished product, sure you can fit a pi in a box. Me when I type Arduino with wifi, I see a 44 dollars price tag, The volume that an audio product manufacturer would Bulk buy Arduino board is negligible compare to their whole diY market, they are already at rock bottom volume pricing. and it doesn't come with an external antenna so it would not work in a metal boxand you still have to interface it, I2s switching, clock muxing. No I was not kidding. Do you know any that can do something like this for 150$? If they could, they would...

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm or @JohnYang1997 could you please post the jitter test for USB In - optical and spdif out? Thanks.

ehabheikal

For eg- this DAC only has one set of outputs- so lets say go USB from PC to this one, use RCA outs to a headphone output. Then run a toslink to another DAC which you use to feed a speaker amp.

I have 3 DACs fed from my streamer's coax and optical outs- lots of amps!

I was scratching my head for use cases given there are 30usd usb to optical devices on amazon how to use this one, your use case is actually amazing and made me think of this lol

ehabheikal

You're kidding, right? I can get an entire arduino board with wifi - retail - for $18. What would it cost - each - to buy 5,000 of them? With wifi could be $50 more for a big fat margin and $150 total retail price. Load with free volumio software. https://store.arduino.cc/usa/nano-33-iot

Arduino does not have the muscle power to run a modern music player.
Pi 4 is good since it is the only pi that has good usb for audio.

Then factor the price of the power supply, screen and pretty case ( some say being an audiophile is about getting pretty cases for electronics), etc and it adds up

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Arduino does not have the muscle power to run a modern music player.
Pi 4 is good since it is the only pi that has good usb for audio.

Then factor the price of the power supply, screen and pretty case ( some say being an audiophile is about getting pretty cases for electronics), etc and it adds up
The DAC already has all those things, all you need to add is the WiFi. As many have said, a raspberry pi costs $10 including a 1 ghz cpu. Come on.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Nice review! It's right under the original Auralic Vega for 1/350th the price! All that's needed now is a DAC with similar performance and balanced output near that price point.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The DAC already has all those things, all you need to add is the WiFi. As many have said, a raspberry pi costs $10 including a 1 ghz cpu. Come on.
Well, I'll say it, I'm all about getting great sound at a democratic prices, everybody should be able to afford good performance, I'm guilty of this myself, I do own and enjoy a topping product myself, but let's not kid ourself, this doesn't represent the real cost of things, And I'm not saying this in a diminutive way, how Asian manufacturer are able to achieve that, sorry but the maths just don't add up, and it's kudos to them really, it's an achievement. I don't know where you find those prices. A Pi is not 10 bucks, the Arduino board you showed me don't have a full WIFI PHY, just the chip. The mad volumes of consumer electronics, when you think mad volumes I mean smartphone level volumes, millions, got us to think that electronics are worth a dime a chip, but it's all an illusion. For example try to built a D10 like this as DIY, and you'll come about 3-4 times that just for parts, you didn't do assembly, marketing, distributors, retailers margin, etc etc etc. Great that Topping and a few others have enough of a solid mass around their bones to offer these ridiculous prices, but sorry, fitting a pi or an arduino and support only open source softwares to provide streaming capabilities, will never bring enough volume to warrant a sub 300$ price tag, no way on earth even China. Those modules are geared to appeal DIY, tech oriented geeks. But even then, built it yourself, and you'll break that 3 bills treshold, I guarantee this. To make volume, you'll need branding, and to have branding, you need pretty design, you need User friendly Interface, you need huge marketing, not put that on top of your cost. Again, if someone could offer that for 150$ He would. I challenge anybody to find a way to reach the price points you mention, good luck.

Chuu

The output impedance of 20 ohms caught my eye. I have no frame of reference or know what rules of thumbs are for RCA-out.

Is this good? great? bad? What are the general rules for if the output impedence of RCA jacks (and XLR on other DACs) might be a problem?

3125b

Major Contributor
Is this good? great? bad?
It usually doesn't really matter. The output impedance should be significantly lower than the input impedance of the device down stream, but since typical input impedances of devices with RCA inputs should be 10kohm or more, it doesn't make a difference if the output impedance is 20 or the typical 100-600 ohms. Some devices do have a lower input impedance, but still, 100ohm is pretty much always gonna be low enough.

Top Bottom