• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI Audio to USB Conversion?

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Nice find (matrix element). I’m using the SOtM Tx USBexp. I had motherboard chatter without it.

I found the 105 SACD output to be the best source I’ve ever had. I understand wanting to try other DACs, but I wonder if there’s a point of diminishing returns at this level.

edit:
What were your choices for PC Card and why did you settle on the matrix?
Have pc interfaces like this been tested and compared? (Jcat/sotm/matrix/PPA/The Linear Solution)

Last edited:
OP
mcdonalk

mcdonalk

I settled on the Matrix because a) initially, it was the only card of its type of which I was aware, and b) after becoming aware of others, the Matrix board is the only one in a shielded enclosure. Properly implemented, this should provide some protection from radiated emissions within the PC enclosure. Whether this makes an audible difference, I cannot say. But if I'm going to take a chance and invest in some technology of questionable value, I want to go the one that at least makes as much theoretical sense to me as possible.

fabien32

Hello everyone
I really wantto use the IIS HDMI connection to connect the D90MQA to my Pc, but I don't know what software to use to have it run. I don't want to use it just on a sacd or blue ray player. I heard that I need a HDMI to I2S/IIS HDMI OVER I2S card, but then what? Do you guys know how to do it?

fabien32

????
To connect your D90 DAC to a computer the easiest, and best, interface is USB.
You can (and should) avoid HDMI altogether.
Thank you for your info, I know the easiest way is via usb. But when you play a DSD or SACD fille when using usb or coaxial the Data is compressed to spdif and then decompressed. But when using dsd to hdmi it is not compressed. So I'd like to experiment with this. If you know how please share.
Thanks

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But when you play a DSD or SACD fille when using usb or coaxial the Data is compressed to spdif and then decompressed.
That is not true, afaik. For coax (S/PDIF), the output is in the DoP package which does not compress but requires twice the transmission bandwidth and it limited to stereo. For USB, there is no compression for stereo or multichannel.

fabien32

That is not true, afaik. For coax (S/PDIF), the output is in the DoP package which does not compress but requires twice the transmission bandwidth and it limited to stereo. For USB, there is no compression for stereo or multichannel.
I think it is, maybe the word compressed through you off, so lets replace it with compiled, and as you can see, paul think so too

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I think it is, maybe the word compressed through you off, so lets replace it with compiled, and as you can see, paul think so too
What does the word "compiled" mean in this context? I used the word "packaged" which most people (including the developers of DoP) use to describe the process.

fabien32

What does the word "compiled" mean in this context? I used the word "packaged" which most people (including the developers of DoP) use to describe the process.
Look, I'm no expert, I just know Paul is, and he clearly say that i2s over hdmi is way better than any form of usb, and that it is due to the packaging/compilation/compression, or any other word you prefer. So I'm trying to use my hdmi connections to my advantage. If someone know how it is done, please share.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Look, I'm no expert, I just know Paul is, and he clearly say that i2s over hdmi is way better than any form of usb, and that it is due to the packaging/compilation/compression, or any other word you prefer. So I'm trying to use my hdmi connections to my advantage. If someone know how it is done, please share.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...face-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/
If the USB and I2S inputs are properly implemented they'll both deliver the correct data to the DAC chip pins at the correct time, and have the same performance. For USB everything needed for correct implementation is inside the D90, and we have the measurements to show it's done properly. With I2S over HDMI you're relying on the upstream device for the timing, so it may or may not perform as well. Personally I'd stick with the USB. If you really want to try the I2S from an HDMI extractor you'll need something like this - they have a number of devices that could be used either alone or in combination.

fabien32

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/study-is-i²s-interface-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/
If the USB and I2S inputs are properly implemented they'll both deliver the correct data to the DAC chip pins at the correct time, and have the same performance. For USB everything needed for correct implementation is inside the D90, and we have the measurements to show it's done properly. With I2S over HDMI you're relying on the upstream device for the timing, so it may or may not perform as well. Personally I'd stick with the USB. If you really want to try the I2S from an HDMI extractor you'll need something like this - they have a number of devices that could be used either alone or in combination.
Thank you for the response but I already know about this, and where to get it https://www.ebay.com/itm/173027102004. I just need to know how to use it. Is it plug and play? Do i need a special software?

Arvind

Thank you for the response but I already know about this, and where to get it https://www.ebay.com/itm/173027102004. I just need to know how to use it. Is it plug and play? Do i need a special software?
I have used this bridge satisfactorily between DAC SabajD5 and Sony UBP 800M2 which is transport only, for SACD playback. In my case it is plug and play. No extra software needed.

fabien32

I have used this bridge satisfactorily between DAC SabajD5 and Sony UBP 800M2 which is transport only, for SACD playback. In my case it is plug and play. No extra software needed.
I want to connect my pc so I'm not sure that this applies, but thanks

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Look, I'm no expert, I just know Paul is, and he clearly say that i2s over hdmi is way better than any form of usb

He's an expert at sales and marketing and making money from people's ignorance.

Our chief expert here concluded his remarks in the above referenced link as follows:
So Paul McGowan, please don't spread misinformation about I²S sounding better. Start by showing us measurements that demonstrate anything improving and if so, why PS Audio gear doesn't have good enough S/PDIF performance to need something better. And then, point the camera at yourself, connect both inputs to your DAC and have someone else switch inputs and see if you can tell the difference. Since levels don't change, it is dead simple to conduct a blind test.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
But he also said:

So I want to try it myself If that's ok with you

It seemed like you thought it would sound better because Paul M. said so. Trying to use the HDMI to your advantage, as you said...
Do you expect it to sound better, or even different?

Point is that there is no advantage. Since you asked, yes, it is ok with me. What's not OK is Paul M's ongoing nonsense...

fabien32

It seemed like you thought it would sound better because Paul M. said so. Trying to use the HDMI to your advantage, as you said...
Do you expect it to sound better, or even different?

Point is that there is no advantage. Since you asked, yes, it is ok with me. What's not OK is Paul M's ongoing nonsense...
I have the exit on my dac, and on my pc, why not try it. I have no expectations, just trying to play around with it and hear for myself. It would be nice if someone help me with it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Look, I'm no expert, I just know Paul is,
Sure but not the only one and, as with others, their coverage is not universal. I have no difficulty disagreeing with him on this as, I am sure somebody else will.
If the USB and I2S inputs are properly implemented they'll both deliver the correct data to the DAC chip pins at the correct time, and have the same performance.
Ah ha!

gvl

Major Contributor
Hello everyone
I really wantto use the IIS HDMI connection to connect the D90MQA to my Pc, but I don't know what software to use to have it run. I don't want to use it just on a sacd or blue ray player. I heard that I need a HDMI to I2S/IIS HDMI OVER I2S card, but then what? Do you guys know how to do it?

The answer to this question you need a USB to SPDIF converter that also has an I2S HDMI/LVDS output like the Matrix X-SPDIF 2. There are others too, like a couple of models from Gustard and numerous eBay offerings of unknown quality. There's no additional software to install apart from the driver supplied with these units which you may not even need. I'm not DSD savvy but AFAIK you may need an Asio driver to be able to play DSD native without DoP envelope. Be aware that this type of connection is not standard and you may have to play with dip switches to make it work, and even if it appears to work it may not work properly - iirc Amir run into some issues at one point. That said, like others suggested USB is same or better and it's included in the price of the DAC.

Last edited:

fabien32

Thank you all for your help, but i don't understand the all discution about it not being good? I didn't ask if it's good or better, I only asked how

Top Bottom