• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way I would also like to express my thank you and congratulation to both sides for raising the level so high on precise loudspeakers and measurements and ensuring that from now also the ASR loudspeaker measurements will have the highest level of precision and trustworthiness like also their electronics measurements, a great day for the objective side of audio worldwide!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to agree, since 2 weeks I have a pair of KH120 for my desktop setup where they replaced my trusty old JBL LSR 305 (MKI) and KEF LS50 and they are the first ones that only need room EQ but no corrections above as both my measurements and listening tests show and can go shockingly loud for their tiny size. My experience was the same with a pair KH310 I had gotten for a test some years ago, it was just stunning, same also for the KH420 of a friend of mine.

I always hoped they would, as it would immediately be the loudspeaker for my classic stereo stetup as KH310 are unfortunately currently too expensive for me and I also don't like so much their horizontal orientation which is optimised for monitoring bridge.
I hope Amir can test those soon!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Seems that if you want to create a riot in the streets of ASR, all you have to do is show a non-ruler flat response of Neumann KH80 DSP professional monitor (speaker). Not knowing that, that is precisely what I did in my first review of KH80 DSP:

index.php

This was one of the earliest speakers I measured with the Klippel Near-field scanner. So naturally (or not), there were a lot of suspicions that it could actually recreate anechoic chamber measurements such as provided by the company:

index.php

After what seemed like a hundred pages and numerous attacks from every corner on validity of measurements including me not even being dressed right to measure speakers, I decided to test a second KH80 DSP monitor sample that another member was kind enough to offer. Was that the end of it? Of course not. As I said, if the measurements were not ruler flat, folks were not satisfied and this is what we had:

index.php

A sin was committed once more with the same dip around 80 Hz or so. Protests ensued and library books burned in streets with assertion that ASR measurements were flat wrong.

After some 25 pages of posts, folks seemed to forget about the fight and thread went dormant. Until... we heard back from Neumann which had asked Klippel Germany to measure an identical sample to what they had measured in anechoic chamber. While there were some differences between the two measurements, they were closer to each other than mine was. So folks went for the jugular this time. Nothing short of repenting on my part and accepting that my measurements were bogus would satisfy. The proof as they said, was right there.

When someone kindly suggested to fund the purchase of a third sample, I decided to not make it the community's problem and purchased that myself. Meanwhile @GuyLayfield reached out privately to me offering that we work together to see what is going on. Suspicion quickly went after the temperature difference for when I tested mine (in winter) and theirs (temperature controlled at 21 degrees C). Guy showed me a couple of useful slides from Klippel indicating changes in speaker parameters based on temperature:

View attachment 72743

View attachment 72744

Meanwhile my sample arrived and measured it. And what do you know, the low frequency dip had disappeard:

View attachment 72746

We still had to verify the problem was temperature. So Guy put a unit in the fridge overnight and then made measurements in the morning every 3 minutes as the speaker and its components warmed up. Here are his results, normalized to 21 degree C (black line):

View attachment 72747

As we see in the bottom blue line, lower temp most definitely created the dip around 80 Hz and gradually disappeared as the speaker warmed up. This then showed that my measurements are indeed accurate but were simply impacted by the lower temperature at the time.

Guy, knowing you all, wanted to still investigate some variations in measurements, some of which were also in Klippel Germany measurements. As it happens, they have measurements for each speaker sold and that included my sample. So we set out to try to reduces differences.

The guilty party here appeared to be the microphone protection cage that I use. This is a sensor shroud around the mic with micrswitches that detect any impact to any object (e.g. speaker) and instantly shuts down the system. It avoids banging an expensive microphone against an expensive speaker! Quite a while ago I had noticed that it was causing some comb filtering due to reflections. I experimented with absorption around it and got it under control. Still, we thought maybe it is at fault.

So I took out the cage and sadly as soon as you do that, all alignment of the system is gone. So while I was at it, I re-adjusted everything better than ever before, and even worked on optimizing the signal processing for least amount of error. Here is that measurement:

View attachment 72749

Yes, it looks the same! It is a bit flatter in bass but I think it has tiny variations here and there. According to Guy, we are now with +-0.6 dB from their measurements.

We don't know if the variations are because my measurements are wrong, or theirs. There is no gold reference here.

Frankly, I am sick of it at this point so told Guy that we are done and I should just post the results. People need to remember that every measurement system has variability and there is fair bit of that between anechoic chambers as well. For the purposes of evaluating speakers, what we have is more than good enough and far, far better than anything any reviewer is producing.

Importantly the moment the speaker is put in a room, nothing remotely flat comes out of it. So we need to keep that in perspective.

Conclusions
The main variable in our measurements not quite matching Neumann's was temperature. Whether this impacted just this speaker or the others, I don't know. If I get some time (yeh right), I will go back and remeasure a few of the other ones I still have and see what difference there may be. Come this winter, I will heat up the measurement room to get it closer to spring weather at least. Fortunately it never gets that cold here and hopefully we will find that other speakers are not affected as much.

Beside temperature, I have also fine tuned the system, using averaging for example to reduce noise level, deploying more optimal parameters to get the high frequencies right, etc. These have been in place for months so the bulk of what we have measured are accurate as they also enjoy warmer temperatures.

@MZKM has a new score for this speaker which he will post. New spin data is enclosed.

Be on notice that I am not measuring this speaker again so don't even think about asking me to do that. As it is, I have to now rip the system apart again and put the cage back on it and re-align it all.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

As you can tell I am quite grumpy because of this ordeal. Fortunately it is not something where a few hundred dollars won't fix. So please donate what you can using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
This costs less than £900/pair, includes amps, and is smaller than the LS3/5a? If only it didn't look so "industrial"!

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have added the Neumann KH 80 DSP (sample 3) to Loudspeaker Explorer where it can be compared to other speakers.

Here are a few comparisons between the various historical measurements @amirm made of this speaker:

Loudspeaker Explorer chart(5).png

Loudspeaker Explorer chart(6).png

Loudspeaker Explorer chart(7).png

By the way this thread is so full of win:
  • @amirm finally getting around to addressing the remaining issue with the Neumann KH 80 measurement discrepancies.
  • Neumann engineer @GuyLayfield going as far as to put one of their speakers in a fridge to get to the bottom of the issue.
  • The root cause finally being found.
  • @amirm finally acknowledging the issue of the reference axis (and hopefully taking it into account in future measurements).
  • The updated measurement finally matching every other measurement out there (manufacturer and third party) - in the low bass, in the high treble, and everywhere in-between.
  • Neumann showing once again, beyond any doubt, that they are the king of QA and production consistency. It really can't get any flatter than this!
This is it! It's Christmas in summer! Time to party! :D

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's at .3 meter away! At one meter that drops to 90db.

Look I've never heard these, but I very much doubt they could be played very loud at all in a normal listening room without sounding strained. Even with a sub, I don't see these as much more than a small/medium signal device for nearfield listening, and that is not how most people prefer to listen.
I am still confused by the different chart axis label on the old and new tests. Were the speakers driven the same in Test3 compared to Test1 and Test2?

Xyrium

Forum Donor
This may be your wittiest review ever, captain! Well done, and for all that donate, you can see that your money is well spent on thorough measurements, where even the measurements themselves are open for debate, and the host is willing to consider all input. Fantastic stuff!

A Surfer

Major Contributor
In the purest sense, yes, I agree. In a practical sense, if we spend too much time and resources on things too small, it takes away from investigating bigger things in other areas.
Indeed, but that is why it is so great that Amir has been digging in places that are often considered inconsequential. It is nice to see that if a company desires and values these very small deviations that armed with the knowledge they can possibly correct them. If doing so doesn't require a compromise somewhere else.

Nango

Major Contributor
  • Neumann showing once again, beyond any doubt, that they are the king of QA and production consistency. It really can't get any flatter than this!
Certainly, after reading this update, if I were ever to purchase some speakers this brand name would be on my short list for sure.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I have added the Neumann KH 80 DSP (sample 3) to Loudspeaker Explorer where it can be compared to other speakers.

Here are a few comparisons between the various historical measurements @amirm made of this speaker:

View attachment 72840
View attachment 72841
View attachment 72842

By the way this thread is so full of win:
  • @amirm finally getting around to addressing the remaining issue with the Neumann KH 80 measurement discrepancies.
  • Neumann engineer @GuyLayfield going as far as to put one of their speakers in a fridge to get to the bottom of the issue.
  • The root cause finally being found.
  • @amirm finally acknowledging the issue of the reference axis (and hopefully taking it into account in future measurements).
  • The updated measurement finally matching every other measurement out there (manufacturer and third party) - in the low bass, in the high treble, and everywhere in-between.
This is it! It's Christmas in summer! Time to party! :D

Oh i love your post!

Its exactly what i think! What a great archivement. How cool?? Great place to stay!!!
Edit says: Thats a proofen reference speaker!

AudioStudies

If doing so doesn't require a compromise somewhere else.
Indeed. We don't want the people like Amir and others who do this tremendous work to get burned out. Perhaps we can just leave it that -- it is great we now have this information. I have my doubts about how practical it would be for Amir to match results precisely with any and all results provided by manufacturers, because of temperature differences. If he spends as much time on every speaker as he did on this one -- I think it will be problematic. Complete climate control likely not practical. Perhaps, just a statement of what temperature his room was at at the time of testing and let the results speak for themselves. Even more difficult may be to predict how a given speaker will perform within a range of temperatures based on a formula. How could such a formula be developed that would take into account all the various design differences and material differences among the many loudspeakers in the world? I could be wrong though, perhaps because the temperature differences affect woofers more than the other drivers, some sort of formula could be developed -- so I will leave it to those who design loudspeakers for a living (or others with more knowledge than me) to answer that question.

Typevii

Great result, fantastic work and as has been said now many time big thanks to all involved.

Looks like l’ll have to keep my basement a little warmer in the winter for perfect listening :)

These things are tiny and they go plenty loud. I listen with them 1.5m away on a large desk with kh750 sub and have only seen the clipping lights come on when painfully loud, just to see if I could.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that's some great science from @amirm & @GuyLayfield (from Neumann) on getting to the bottom of the differences and realising it was something as simple yet allusive as room temperature differences! It sounds like Amir's Klippel is now fine tuned up a little too, and combined with the knowledge of room temperature effect on (some) speakers means that future data can be even more reliable. Good work! Interesting read too.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it looks the same! It is a bit flatter in bass but I think it has tiny variations here and there. According to Guy, we are now with +-0.6 dB from their measurements.
Congratulations, better than +-0.5dB is hardly feasible, especially if little or no smoothing is applied.

If we now look at the comparison of the frequency response measurement of the KH80 from Neumann's website with sample 1 and 3, it becomes obvious how much the measurement accuracy of Amir's NFS has improved - keep in mind that these are measurements from three different loudspeakers and the Neumann measurement was read in with a trace tool:
1594479080671.png

It becomes even more obvious when we look at the deviations from the normalized Neumann measurement. For comparison also the deviation of the Sound&Recording measurement from Neumann's measurement is shown (It cannot be excluded that S&R measured the original sample from Neumann):
1594479678252.png

ASR Sample 1 showed deviations of +-2.5dB. Currently, the deviation, like the S&R measurement, is +-1dB - which is damn good, provided the manufacturer's measurement is reliable (as we know it is).

AudioStudies

So will we now be lighting fires under speakers to make them perform better? Has never worked with people . . .

Top Bottom