• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upping my game: about my Sennheiser RS180

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice and knowledge about my Sennheiser RS180, and also advice as to where to go from here to DAC+AMP and headphones.

About 10 or 11 years ago I bought the Senheiser RS180 for use with my desktop computer. I listen to music, do gaming. I don't consider myself an audiophile but I do consider myself more sensitive, or able, to hear a difference in sound quality. For years I've used dedicated soundcards because the sound produced by onboard was terrible. About 4 years ago I bought an Asus Maximus board which had a ESS Sabre DAC onboard and it was than that I heard a massive boost in sound quality and power from my Sennheiser RS180. Recently I've build a new PC and the current onboard sound is noticeably less in quality. So from there I started exploring.

So this morning I received an Ifi Zen Dac. I ordered that after watching Zeos' review of it. I connected it and to my surprise it lacked power. I could turn up the volume all the way to the max and I wouldn't feel like that this is unbearable to listen to in terms of loudness. In comparison, my onboard sound is at volume 16 from 100. Above 40 it would be so loud it's not healthy to listen to. Both boost functions, imho, add a noticeable distortion. This product didn't feel right at all.

So there's some things I want to learn today to understand where I'm at and what my limitations are:
1. My Sennheiser RS180. I've always enjoyed it, but from an audiphile point of view, where do you classify that? Entry level, midrange, highend? How good are these cans really? I've read that many consider the Sennheiser HD 600 as a proven highend headphone. How does my RS180 compare to that? Or how does it compare to say a HD 599?
2. The Sennheiser RS180 must have it's own convertor, it transforms an analog signal into a wireless signal and inside the cans it is converted again. Is this also a DAC?
3. Wanting to understand the limiting factors, is my Sennheiser RS180 limited by itself, by it's source or is for instance that Ifi Zen Dac limited by my Sennheiser? Are wireless headphones limited because of being wireless?
4. The RS180 is 10-11 years old now. Is there like degradation in headphones after time?
5. If I want to up my game, should I be looking at upgrading my source, so a DAC+AMP or combo? Or additionally upgrade to new headphones as well?

Kind regards,

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
1. My Sennheiser RS180. I've always enjoyed it, but from an audiphile point of view, where do you classify that? Entry level, midrange, highend? How good are these cans really? I've read that many consider the Sennheiser HD 600 as a proven highend headphone. How does my RS180 compare to that? Or how does it compare to say a HD 599?
2. The Sennheiser RS180 must have it's own convertor, it transforms an analog signal into a wireless signal and inside the cans it is converted again. Is this also a DAC?
3. Wanting to understand the limiting factors, is my Sennheiser RS180 limited by itself, by it's source or is for instance that Ifi Zen Dac limited by my Sennheiser? Are wireless headphones limited because of being wireless?
4. The RS180 is 10-11 years old now. Is there like degradation in headphones after time?
5. If I want to up my game, should I be looking at upgrading my source, so a DAC+AMP or combo? Or additionally upgrade to new headphones as well?

Kind regards,

I have the open back and close back versions.

1. I'd classify it just under midrange. Doesn't quite come close to an HD650, IMO.
2. It's an analog to digital converter (ADC). The headphones itself has an internal DAC
3. Sennheiser claims that the wireless connection is lossless. So the main limitation are the drivers and the internal amp/dac of the headphones -- you have to take intro consideration that these are AAA battery operated -- so efficieny likely was thought to be very important in the design process.
4. No... just the pads needing changing/cleaning -- if the HP don't break first with heavy use -- and if you can find a genuine one.
5. Dunno about your iFi Zen, but yes to the latter.

OP
J
I've returned the Ifi Zen in the meantime simply because it seemed odd to me that my onboard soundcard would manage to deliver much more power to my headphones than the Ifi Zen Dac. I've also read 2 other reviews, 1 on this forum, and both weren't all that positive. Makes me wonder why Zeos was al that hyped about it. I guess I just pulled the trigger too fast on that dac.

My budget for a DAC/AMP and headphones is €450,-. Using the site's tool to check out ratings of DAC/AMP combos I noticed the Topping DX3 Pro scores really good. Now that unit is for sale locally, €219,-. I reckon that's going to be my best option. Leaving me €230,- for headphones.

I like bass to be punchy, I dislike subwoofer bass. I like mid and high to be noticable but not overdone. I need to wear these headphones for longer periods of time. Sessions of 5-7 hours. Where do I start from here?

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's hard to go wrong with the HD600, 650, or the Massdrop HD6XX.

The currently available DX3 V2 is a little different from the original V1 that Amir measured. The V2 has 10 ohms output impedance which may mess with the sound of lower impedance headphones. Fortunately the HD600 series are all 300 ohms+ so they'll be fine with it.

OP
J
For where I live, Europe, Massdrop isn't an option. Additional taxes added on top of shipping costs. And that's too bad cause I'd like those HD 58X. Sennheiser regulars are readily available here. HD 650 is only €20,- more than a HD 600 (€299,-). I also like the HD 599 a lot and that's for €140,-.

Besides the Topping DX3 Pro V2, the Fiio K5 Pro is also readily available here and that's about 40 cheaper too.

OP
J
So after doing some additional reading I decided to go for the Fiio K5 Pro instead of the Topping DX3 Pro. I dont need the BT option and although the display looks sexy a.f. I did read up on some QC issues on this forum.

As for headphones, a guy locally was selling a brand new Philips X2HR for 150. I had seen this headphones suggested by Rtings but also many reviewers, DIYheadphones, Josh Valour and Zeos, seemed very positive about it.

I think this will be a good setup to start dipping my toes into more proper audio.

Top Bottom