• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HypeX/PuriFi amplifier products available in the USA?

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering folks what are the parts required to build you own PuriFi amplifier. I was really interested in the VTV but then they are out of stock on the stereo version and won't reply to contact request on their websites. So I might want to just build one myself.

Thanks.

It looks like you can buy them directly right here:
https://purifi-audio.com/vare/eval1/
https://purifi-audio.com/vare/1et400a-3/

Though I have not tried doing so myself. You'll also need a SMPS like this one (and know how to connect it correctly):
https://www.hypex.nl/product/smps1200a400/10 (though I'm not so sure how to buy this directly)

And of course you'll need to know exactly what you're doing to ensure it's safe in terms of AC power, grounding, heat / ventilation, correct heat sink mounting and spacing of electronics to safety specs, etc., and that you don't make any subtle mistakes that messes with the signal due to EMF interference, creates an unsafe product due to bad AC wiring that could kill you even though it seems to work just fine until you get shocked, etc. etc. You'll probably also want to buy a signal analyzer if you don't have one to be able to validate it is performing well without any unexpected flaws or spurious signals, etc. etc.

Or you could just buy from a manufacturer who does this all for you :). Just be aware of the discussion above about the varying quality of different manufacturers out there. If you already have all the electrical engineering knowledge and tooling you need though, by all means -- DIY looks like the most cost-effective approach to get quality results (as long as you do know exactly what you're doing, which may be more subtle to get right than you think, as evidenced by mistakes made by most other manufacturers).

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Will they work for a stereo NC1200? Upcoming EVAL2? Curious minds want to know.
Im afraid not. You can get away with one PSU for a pair of Purifi modules but you require 2 PSUs for a pair of NC1200. The case then becomes so large that there is very little in the way of cost savings therefore you may as well buy the monoblocks

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Im afraid not. You can get away with one PSU for a pair of Purifi modules but you require 2 PSUs for a pair of NC1200. The case then becomes so large that there is very little in the way of cost savings therefore you may as well buy the monoblocks

Ahh. Thanks.

GuernseyBunker

Forum Donor

Chobes11

I think the higher powered Purifi amplifiers that @Matias mentioned would be my 'endgame' amplifiers (which would be a nice pair with my 'endgame' Salon 2s). As such, I'm not really ready to spend $2500 in amplifiers if I'd later be upgrading it.

So, for now I ended up placing an order for the @March Audio P502, which was about $1047.50 shipped to the US via DHL 5-day! I think this will be good enough to get me started with my Salon 2's when they arrive :)

Later, when the higher powered Purifi amplifiers are available, then maybe I'll upgrade to those and relegate the P502 to my secondary towers in another room when that time comes.

is a higher powered Purifi amp confirmed? I haven’t seen anything even suggesting rumors. Or are you just saying whenever they do

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is a higher powered Purifi amp confirmed? I haven’t seen anything even suggesting rumors. Or are you just saying whenever they do

I asked VTV and he said Purifi is saying December. They are delayed because of something called Covid.

Chobes11

I asked VTV and he said Purifi is saying December. They are delayed because of something called Covid.
Hmm interesting. Any mention of possible pricing? If it’s going to be more than $2k (which is more than likely) for a stereo amp I’ll probably just buy the NC1200 now.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah rather than wait, I’ve put in an order for a pair of Purifi amps from March Audio. If / when more powerful Purifi’s come out, I will upgrade to those also, and move the less powerful Purifi’s to other speakers. But from measuring the SPL of my listening levels for music (even played very loudly for me) I don’t think I’ll really come close to clipping the existing Purifi.

benny1201

I was just asking for when they would have it in stock, maybe you are more closely related to the company but I still have not gotten a response from this company.
This is the kind of service a client could expect without handing over money how would I be treated if i did?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I was just asking for when they would have it in stock, maybe you are more closely related to the company but I still have not gotten a response from this company.
This is the kind of service a client could expect without handing over money how would I be treated if i did?
How could somebody answer a question that they do not know! Don’t you think this depends on the manufacturer? They have not made these yet!

benny1201

How could somebody answer a question that they do not know! Don’t you think this depends on the manufacturer? They have not made these yet!
Maybe A reply or an acknowledgment would be nice. i guess I’m really wrong to expect a simply reply.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those still interested in this topic, you may want to check out my results here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ble-quality-build-and-customer-service.15220/

Summary: I actually ended up buying both VTV and @March Audio amps. The March Audio amps are built to perfection, quality components, perfect fit and finish etc. etc. I can highly recommend March Audio.

(In contrast, VTV was the opposite in every way. I honestly do not think I could have screwed up an amp build so badly (literally screwed up... as in missing and loose screws) even if I tried. I could not bring myself to have such a blatant lack of attention to detail and utter lack of care for the quality of the product as VTV has demonstrated to be the case. Therefore, needless to say, I recommend you avoid VTV at all costs.)

In contrast, here are a few photos of the beautifully built March Audio amps:

647E14A5-5D0E-47EE-A52E-74F2DCC4C739.jpeg

77AB1114-9A29-4ADA-B2B2-B51855F49482.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is anyone familiar with sander sounds Magtech amps? Although they are class A/B , they are said to deliver high enough current to drive magnepans and yet do not get very hot.
http://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-monoblock-amp
Currently have a cinepro amp that is driving a pair of salon2s
Are those built on Hypex or Purifi modules? Just not sure how that relates to this topic here. But anyways, personally I can’t see myself ever paying $10k on a pair of amps ever, let alone on ones with no measurements. There’s just so many better things you can do with that much money.

In any case, I’d bet Hypex NC2K would outperform it at a fraction of the cost.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In contrast, here are a few photos of the beautifully built March Audio amps:

They really are understated and lovely. If amplifiers like this had been around 30 years ago, my HiFi journey would have been quite different. The incremental improvements and sometimes sideways steps may have been avoided. In real terms, they are inexpensive, considering the expected lifetime and performance offered.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Are those built on Hypex or Purifi modules? Just not sure how that relates to this topic here. But anyways, personally I can’t see myself ever paying $10k on a pair of amps ever, let alone on ones with no measurements. There’s just so many better things you can do with that much money.

In any case, I’d bet Hypex NC2K would outperform it at a fraction of the cost.
I think they are an AB design not class D

skypickle

Thank you for your reply and I am awaiting your findings echopraxia. I do not understand the practical differences between the two designs (purifi vs hypex) The hypex amp from March Audio being more ‘powerful’ compared to the purifi unit seems to have more ability to drive low sensitivity speakers. OTOH, more watts does not always mean more available current at a given instant in a musical/theatrical passage. And of course there are other factors to consider, how ‘quiet’ the amp is, how fast the circuitry can adapt to changing input voltages,etc.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not understand the practical differences between the two designs (purifi vs hypex)
Same designer, different companies. Hypex NCore is a 2nd gen technology and Purifi Eigentakt his 3rd gen, with refined feedback and a little better performance. Purifi released only 1 amp module so far (1ET400A), but more amp models are in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Top Bottom