• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Soncoz LA-QXD1 Pre-production "Evolution of KTE Board"

BorisdeFloris

Hi,
I have been reading about this great DAC and it interest me very much. I´m rebuilding an audio system for in the livingroom with passive speakers (JMLab Electra). I will drive those speakers most probable by a XTZ Edge power Amp (no volume control). I was thinking to use this LA-QXD1 as DAC and Pre-amp, since I do not need any Analog input, just music streaming services, TV (digital out) and music on my network. I see the volume can be adapted, but exist any possibility to do this remotely also?
As said, Analog output will go to a power-amp, but I have a Subwoofer (Active, SVS) to drive also.
I´d love to hear suggestions from all!
Thanx!

EMMA

Hi,
I have been reading about this great DAC and it interest me very much. I´m rebuilding an audio system for in the livingroom with passive speakers (JMLab Electra). I will drive those speakers most probable by a XTZ Edge power Amp (no volume control). I was thinking to use this LA-QXD1 as DAC and Pre-amp, since I do not need any Analog input, just music streaming services, TV (digital out) and music on my network. I see the volume can be adapted, but exist any possibility to do this remotely also?
As said, Analog output will go to a power-amp, but I have a Subwoofer (Active, SVS) to drive also.
I´d love to hear suggestions from all!
Thanx!
LA-QXD1 can only adjust the volume and switch the input source through the buttons.But you can consider SGD1, which is equipped with remote control and Bluetooth.

jahudi

Hello everyone,

I've been a lurker here so far, but since my brand new LA-QXD1 just arrived I have a question.

Did any OSX or Linux user (@Nybto maybe?) successfully install the "DAC-Mode" (max volume) firmware using the XMOS DFU tool from here https://github.com/numbqq/USB-Audio-2.0-Software-v6.1? Especially @Ben1987 did you evaluate this?

I successfully compiled the tool after changing VID and PID in the source code and also used it to upload the currently installed firmware from the device to my Mac as a test. But somehow I'm still a bit hesitant to try to install the new one ;-) I'm a software engineer so I know what I'm doing but I have only limited experience with embedded systems...

Last edited:

Nybto

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I've been a lurker here so far, but since my brand new LA-QXD1 just arrived I have a question.

Did any OSX or Linux user (@Nybto maybe?) successfully install the "DAC-Mode" (max volume) firmware using the XMOS DFU tool from here https://github.com/numbqq/USB-Audio-2.0-Software-v6.1? Especially @Ben1987 did you evaluate this?

I successfully compiled the tool after changing VID and PID in the source code and also used it to upload the currently installed firmware from the device to my Mac as a test. But somehow I'm still a bit hesitant to try to install the new one ;-) I'm a software engineer so I know what I'm doing but I have only limited experience with embedded systems...
Sorry, I can’t help. I didn’t want to be the guinea pig for this either!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,

I don't know whether anyone's used it on the LA-QXD1 - @samsa used it on a Topping E30 after setting the VID/PID accordingly. The code is directly from XMOS's example for a MacOS updater.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello everyone,

As @somebodyelse said, I've used a mildly edited version of the XMOS_DFU tool to update the Topping E30, with no difficulties. (The source code is here and a diff file is here. Aside from changing the VID/PID, I fixed some compiler warnings and, for MacOS, I fixed the broken shared library install-name.)

jahudi

Thanks guys. In the meantime I just borrowed a Windows machine from a friend to do the update. Although I'm pretty sure it would have worked I didn't want to risk bricking my brand new device, prefer listening to it instead ;-)

alekksander

this device is UAC2 compliant? does the hardware volume control changes volume in windows/linux (as mentioned) or it is still a separated volume control?

also more tech question, hopefully someone knows the answer: currently my dac output is ≈2.0vrms going directly into my powered active speakers. if i'm correct xlr on this device is twice as that. does it mean i will have to cut my computer volume in half to achieve the same acoustic preassure?

@Sophia Ann
would it be possible to order one with different (green) led coloring and without front „lonicera” description?

EMMA

Like this?:facepalm:
mmexport1605181692886.jpg
mmexport1605181696094.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
also more tech question, hopefully someone knows the answer: currently my dac output is ≈2.0vrms going directly into my powered active speakers. if i'm correct xlr on this device is twice as that. does it mean i will have to cut my computer volume in half to achieve the same acoustic preassure?
Well yeah. It'll supply twice the voltage.

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
this device is UAC2 compliant? does the hardware volume control changes volume in windows/linux (as mentioned) or it is still a separated volume control?

@Sophia Ann
would it be possible to order one with different (green) led coloring and without front „lonicera” description?
Hi, 1) this device is UAC2 compliant?--YES.
2) does the hardware volume control changes volume in windows/linux (as mentioned) or it is still a separated volume control?--It's a separated volume control.
3) does it mean i will have to cut my computer volume in half to achieve the same acoustic preassure?--There is not a perfect linear relationship between volume size and output amplitude, so the previous understanding is not advisable.
4) LA-QXD1 has been not with "Lonicera" on the front panel.

alekksander

here is not a perfect linear relationship between volume size and output amplitude, so the previous understanding is not advisable.
haha, You are right, i keep forgetting the basics :) …perhaps sclerosis ;) didn't forget to reply to our mail thread; looking forward to Your answer regarding payment method.

Yes! Have You made it Yourself? Do You perhaps have a picture of the inside led panel? Do You remember specification of the applied led?

Sophia Ann

Audio Company

@Sophia Ann
Have replied by email.

EMMA

haha, You are right, i keep forgetting the basics :) …perhaps sclerosis ;) didn't forget to reply to our mail thread; looking forward to Your answer regarding payment method.

Yes! Have You made it Yourself? Do You perhaps have a picture of the inside led panel? Do You remember specification of the applied led?
It was shared by Ben, not made by myself;)

krejac

Hope I didn't miss anything. Does the latest software still set USB by default? Many people use SPDIF in DAC. I still have to manually switch USB to SPDIF. Is it a hardware problem?

N

nhatlam96

How do I find out about the unit version? I am only going to use 16bit and 44.1khz, should I still update the firmware? When using TOSLINK, does firmware still work? When installing the firmware, should TOSLINK or USB be connected?

Last edited by a moderator:

MechEngVic

How do I find out about the unit version? I am only going to use 16bit and 44.1khz, should I still update the firmware? When using TOSLINK, does firmware still work? When installing the firmware, should TOSLINK or USB be connected?

USB for installing firmware and drivers. There are different versions of the firmware: One starts the DAC at max volume (when you're not using the DAC's volume control), and another starts the DAC at low volume (for using the DAC's volume control). I'd use the latest versions. Download installer, it is easy to use.

Install the Thesycon driver on your PC and it will show you the stats you want. It only shows rate and depth for USB (your computer), and has other features.

When using coax or toslink the DAC seems to easily read rate and depth of source and switches with changes in source rate and depth seamlessly, even though it doesn't show anywhere (can show in player app). If it was downsampling, you'd notice glitching. Keep in mind max rate and depth in coax or toslink is 24/192.

Top Bottom