• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM19 Bookshelf Speaker Review

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you explain that? It’s a huge amount of power to be absorbed across a wide spectrum.

Nearfield measurements within few milimeter are very accurate for the low end part of a transducer because S/N ratio is so good at those close range and therefor good to establish how low end slope really looks with precision, but not so good as frequency increase because microphone sits in center and then gets same distance to 360º around obstracles that can create interference. In that center and close distance microphone can't really see where +6dB half space baffle amplification end up and for that to happen microphone needs to be at distance same or more than the widest dimension of baffle but then we get reflections and loose S/N precision, therefor see below visual that should explain for Amir's curves what happens, except that for a normal correct procedure one should splice a nearfield measurement to a farfield measurement to hinder the drawback that nearfield is not good as frequency increase.
MediumRare.png

Pluto

Forum Donor
See below a shootout video from Hong Kong published just 2 weeks ago (sorry the video is in cantonese)
So what conclusion was drawn in this video that I cannot understand?

Archsam

So what conclusion was drawn in this video that I cannot understand?

There was no conclusion - the guy simply said you should go listen and decide for yourself.

Its an audio enthusiast magazine sort of YouTube channel, they are not meant to be too scientific. He did say the Rogers had a little more 'air' and the Harbeths had a little more weight. He liked the Unison Research amp though, he said it performed better than other tube amps as it doesn't have too many particular weakness compared to others.

Verloc

I lived near a fishing port as a child. Fish and chips there were fantastic and fried in beef dripping, hard to find nowadays but worth it for taste if not, maybe, health.
When I was first going out with my , now, wife I visited her parents, she was brought up in a small fishing village on the Moray Firth in Scotland, there was a fish and chip shop in the harbour with the best F&C I have ever eaten, and quite a few of the customers were fishermen who brought their own fish to be cooked.
It is just holiday cottages now, no fishing left.
Sorry Frank, but this is typical culinaryfool subjectivism, where are the measurements on the quality of the Bass? Was the Midshipman lumpy? Was there a Flatfish response? I assume that you could taste the plankton too... ;-)

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beolab 90’s ‘could’ be the best speakers in the world, they are certainly amongst the best.

The arrangement of the tweeters should lead in the upper frequency range to strong comb filter effects in the listening window.
Depending on the frequency at which the midrange crossover is located, comb filter effects may also occur there.
UPDATE:
Unless, of course, the tweeters are individually controlled and the top tweeter only transmits the uppermost frequency ranges.
The same applies to the midrange speakers.

1593894475634.png

Here are a few quotes from a test of these speakers:
Audio-Magazin 04-2017:
This box really sounds different from others. In the test we immediately felt its sheer power of 8200 watts per channel. ...
The tonal tuning can vary from room to room after calibration. In our case it was slightly bass and treble accentuated, ...

After long discussions in the editorial office and in the laboratory, we decided not to measure the Beloab 90. The most important reasons: As an omnidirectional radiator, it would only be able to show a fraction of its capabilities in our anechoic chamber, and a great deal would fizzle out in the insulation material.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beolab 90’s ‘could’ be the best speakers in the world, they are certainly amongst the best.
Keith
Yeah that and a few other speakers has sort of rehabilitated their reputation among audio people. I'd go so far as to say they're the only company really innovating in both audio and lifestyle integration.

carlosmante

I think you guys are missing the point I'm making here - I am aware of the history lessons you are citing here, but that was the past, not the present.

Today the LS3/5A variants are a popular speaker in Asia, they are regularly featured in hifi magazines in Japan and Hong Knog (where I was born), their smaller size is attractive because they suit the smaller apartments there. The larger LS5 variants are less popular due to their size and price, so naturally the LS3/5A are more relevant to more people.

When it comes to oversea popularity in these BBC monitor variants, there really is a big element of prestige associated with owning something with such revered history as the BBC research. You hear the same old story cited in every presenter's description. So whatever the original intent of the LS3/5A was, it is not so relevant anymore, as it has taken a new life in the audiophile circle around the world, for better or worse

See below a shootout video from Hong Kong published just 2 weeks ago (sorry the video is in cantonese):
Why sorry? don't be ashamed of your roots.

Southall-1998

The arrangement of the tweeters should lead in the upper frequency range to strong comb filter effects in the listening window.
Depending on the frequency at which the midrange crossover is located, comb filter effects may also occur there.

View attachment 71920

Audio-Magazin 04-2017:

What a frightful looking speaker!

S.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tuga

Major Contributor
Stereophile also has measurements. This shows why the BBC dip misconception came to be, the speakers peaks ~4kHz off-axis, so neutral on-axis sounded bright. The dip was because it wasn’t well engineered, not that it’s preferred to have a dip.

You keep saying that but the raison d'être for the dip was put forward by Harwood and Matthews in a piece published on Wireless World titled "Some Factors In Loudspeaker Quality" as psychoacoustic not crossover/directivity related:

EtsyLUG.jpg

D

Deleted member 17588

I stand by what I have said about Harbeth, ATC and PMC. The measurements vindicate my view. Clearly ATC has no concept of baffle step compensation.

The Harbeth playbook, which extends to ATC/PMC with little modification:

My first post & a question if I may Ilkless.
Would you kindly name two or three of the modern & technically superior speakers you seem to reference?
Apologies if within these many pages, the information has already been written.
Over many years I have enjoyed my search for ever more realistic sound reproduction within my home & am genuinely curious & eager to hear your recommendations.
I only hope they are within my budget.
My DAC (thanks to this site) & amplifier are a done deal but I am wondering if I have somehow taken a wrong turn with loud speakers.

Thanks again in advance.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You keep saying that but the raison d'être for the dip was put forward by Harwood and Matthews in a piece published on Wireless World titled "Some Factors In Loudspeaker Quality" as psychoacoustic not crossover/directivity related:

EtsyLUG.jpg

This should be addressed in the program material itself. There are plenty of scenarios where a 1 to 3kHz dip of 2dB would not be desirable, just saying. Mixing, mastering and reproduction at home all benefit from using neutral loudspeakers to start.

tecnogadget

UPDATE:
Unless, of course, the tweeters are individually controlled and the top tweeter only transmits the uppermost frequency ranges.

View attachment 71920

Audio-Magazin 04-2017:

Yes that array would traditionally yield to weird effects, but this particularly speaker is supposed to be under the protection of Ultra Hyper EQ curated by the engineers of B&O and in theory that would fix many things.
I don’t really know how this kind of speakers should be measured. Maybe they need a whole new standard just for measurement technique haha.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
UPDATE:

View attachment 71920

Audio-Magazin 04-2017:

Given this speaker has various user settings, I imagine there is DSP controlling the time so they can use beam steering to generate the response/directivity they want/need.

@geoffmartin would be better served to tell us about this speaker, though.

And FWIW, I would absolutely love to hear this thing.

Top Bottom