• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(No Debate) [Extreme Political] What you need to know about Hong Kong's new National Security Law

OP
A

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Right now, the law is very vague even in Chinese, many different interpretations among officials over time, so God knows what it looks like in English.

And no, the law has no geographic limitations, on paper it applies to every corner on earth.

Effectively it changes the way public figures and analysts talk, overnight.

Some young political leaders have left HK right on 30 June.

Willem

Major Contributor
All governments can be brutal. Communist governments like the Chinese seem to do it best, and with greater frequency.
I am not so sure there is anything communist about modern China. I would classify it as an autocratic plutocracy, and sadly the number of such countries is on the rise. If one looks at data on social inequality, China is in the top league.

oldsysop

At the danger of polluting the thread where we all agree things in Hong Kong are bad, and anti-freedom, care to name one brutal capitalist government?
Do you really need to mention them?
We better continue talking about Audio.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I first visited HK in '85 as a stopping point before entering China. I immediately fell in love- physically beautiful, fantastic and diverse food, great people, and a pervasive spirit of entrepreneurship. Went back several more times before the '97 disaster.

I do mourn what once was and what could have been.

A.West

Forum Donor
HK was for many years a place where people seeking freedom and opportunity could find it. I hope that HK people who now seek the same elsewhere can find it.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more optimistic than most who have posted on this thread, mainly because I don't think President Xi is as competent as the bien pensants in the West believe him to be. He is proving extraordinarily effective at surrounding the PRC, and himself, with enemies.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I'm more optimistic than most who have posted on this thread, mainly because I don't think President Xi is as competent as the bien pensants in the West believe him to be. He is proving extraordinarily effective at surrounding the PRC, and himself, with enemies.
Keep your enemies close and mortal foes closer.

D

Deleted member 65

I am not so sure there is anything communist about modern China. I would classify it as an autocratic plutocracy, and sadly the number of such countries is on the rise. If one looks at data on social inequality, China is in the top league.

There’s no communist country in the world and never has been.
Having read and studied the originals from Marx & Engels (The communist manifesto & Das Capital) some 40 years ago as a young politically involved I can assure you that their thoughts have never materialized anywhere in the world.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

While there are of course things that could be done better in a capitalist America, it reminds me of Winston Churchill saying democracy was the worst kind of gov't..................except for all the other kinds. Considering the good results of capitalism I say the same thing about it as a form of economic activity and development.

I'll repeat it, and it can be removed or me banned. If you believe the garbage that America is inherently racist, founded upon racism and oppression and that the Declaration of Independence is propaganda to cover for a pro-slavery country. You are a special kind of idiot. Even though there appear to be many such idiots it is a peculiarly inane type of idiot. I'm familiar with the thinking behind these ideas and it is an insult to the people of America past and present.

Slavery was a terrible stain upon the early United States, but a war was fought to end it. More white people were killed in that war than the number of slaves brought into the 13 colonies from Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom