• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room correction and bass management for 2.1 multi-source system

d3ft

Having recently discovered the huge benefits REW and associated EQ filters can have on my system I'm looking for the best way to expand beyond PC as a source to cover my whole media setup. I have a PC, an LG OLED and an nVIDIA Shield as sources. The Shield could probably go but the streaming apps built into the TV are just far too convenient to bother trying to do everything with the PC.

After poring over these forums it seems like my best bet is one of the following:
  • MiniDSP NanoDigi + two external DACs / MiniDSP 2x4HD + power amp - if I'm happy applying my own filters
  • MiniDSP DDRC-24 + power amp - if I want Dirac
  • Denon X3600H (or similar with Audyssey XT32) - if I want a single box solution with the potential to expand to Atmos in the future

The Denon AVR approach seems the most obvious but the Australia-tax on AVRs makes it the most expensive solution. I'm still strongly leaning this way due to the simplicity but thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas before I drop the roughly $AUD1500 (~$USD1040) a used one costs.

tw99

Dspeaker Antimode 2.0 would be another possible option, although it's rather older technology these days.

OP
D

d3ft

Dspeaker Antimode 2.0 would be another possible option, although it's rather older technology these days.
These go for about the same if not more than a DDRC-24 on the Australian market - does it offer anything over the MiniDSP product?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Parts Express also has some units very similar to the MiniDSP products, cheaper though not quite as refined and in the the USA. How refined is the rest of your kit?

I've had a MiniDSP 4x10 for 7 years now and just spent the better part of a day taking measurements in REW and making convolution filters in Rephase for JRiver. Sounds great with the new active XO speakers. Careful, it can be an addictive rabbit hole. ;)

OP
D

d3ft

Parts Express also has some units very similar to the MiniDSP products, cheaper though not quite as refined and in the the USA. How refined is the rest of your kit?

I've had a MiniDSP 4x10 for 7 years now and just spent the better part of a day taking measurements in REW and making convolution filters in Rephase for JRiver. Sounds great with the new active XO speakers. Careful, it can be an addictive rabbit hole. ;)

I'm currently running KEF T301 slimline speakers plus a Gallo sub but the plan is Elac DBR62s and something from SVS. So definitely nothing that special now or in the future.

Darvis

I'm currently running KEF T301 slimline speakers plus a Gallo sub but the plan is Elac DBR62s and something from SVS. So definitely nothing that special now or in the future.
The KEF make good candidates for surround.

OP
D

d3ft

The KEF make good candidates for surround.
Agreed. Which puts the ball firmly in the court of the 3600H.

I'm looking for any reason not to pay the overinflated Aussie prices.

Vasr

Major Contributor
What is your current setup with the PC with Room EQ? Is it playing through an external amp? To the same speakers you would like to connect the other sources to?

If you are happy with that, the most economical solution will be to bring other sources via TOSLINK into the PC and use the PC as a "soft AVR" for multiple sources. Sources with HDMI outputs can use a HDMI to TOSLINK adapter. You can even run Dirac on the PC for much cheaper than buying an external box.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anthem STR preamp, integrated have worked out very well for me for 2 channel and their AVRs also have ARC but may be out of your target budget. Used?

OP
D

d3ft

What is your current setup with the PC with Room EQ? Is it playing through an external amp? To the same speakers you would like to connect the other sources to?

If you are happy with that, the most economical solution will be to bring other sources via TOSLINK into the PC and use the PC as a "soft AVR" for multiple sources. Sources with HDMI outputs can use a HDMI to TOSLINK adapter. You can even run Dirac on the PC for much cheaper than buying an external box.
This is an intriguing idea. I run an ITX box so don't have room for a PCIe card. Is there an external USB solution that can achieve this?

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is an intriguing idea. I run an ITX box so don't have room for a PCIe card. Is there an external USB solution that can achieve this?

https://www.esi-audio.com/products/u24xl/
ESI: Phono pre (analog) or Toslink (chromecast) in with usb out ->PC (also as a source)->EAPO room correction->USB DAC

Works fine, but there is some overhead: need to select toslink input on ESI driver, then select "listen" in windows microphone properties to route the Toslink through windows sound mixer. I don't mind overhead but some might

Vasr

Major Contributor
Nice unit. I find using Voicemeeter Banana to bypass Window Sound Mixer makes setting up these things much easier and set and forget. Very low latency and haven't noticed any artifacts. A much better Windows sound engine than Microsoft's built-in engine.

I am doing an experiment next week when my TOSLINK input card arrives. Will try to write up the process of how to get an outside source into a Windows PC and setting up EAPO with REW and Bass Management or Dirac through Voicemeeter. This would create a single virtual audio device through which all apps can play their content (stereo or multi-channel PCM up to 7.1) and benefit from Room EQ and Bass Management without having to configure each app or having to deal with Windows Sound Manager.

OP
D

d3ft

Nice unit. I find using Voicemeeter Banana to bypass Window Sound Mixer makes setting up these things much easier and set and forget. Very low latency and haven't noticed any artifacts. A much better Windows sound engine than Microsoft's built-in engine.

I am doing an experiment next week when my TOSLINK input card arrives. Will try to write up the process of how to get an outside source into a Windows PC and setting up EAPO with REW and Bass Management or Dirac through Voicemeeter. This would create a single virtual audio device through which all apps can play their content (stereo or multi-channel PCM up to 7.1) and benefit from Room EQ and Bass Management without having to configure each app or having to deal with Windows Sound Manager.
That sounds great, look forward to reading about it!

Top Bottom