• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New version of the 'Drop' THX : THX One

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
New version of the well regarded THX 789, minus the XLR ins and outs and with the addition of RCA preamp outs.

Could be a good option for those who like this amp but feel no need for XLR (the absence of which makes for a much better looking amp.)

Will be priced at $199 (or $149 preorder for anyone who doesn't mind floating Drop a loan for a while) (Not me.) So, a nicer price.

Is it a little weird that S/N is specified against 10% THD. Also the input impedance specified at 1KΩ, very low for a line in; maybe a typo?

Their page along with their customary 'word salad' description (it doesn't have three gain stages, it has three gain settings) :

https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-one-linear-amplifier/details#details

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
New version of the well regarded THX 789, minus the XLR ins and outs and with the addition of RCA preamp outs.

Could be a good option for those who like this amp but feel no need for XLR (the absence of which makes for a much better looking amp.)

Will be priced at $199 (or $149 preorder for anyone who doesn't mind floating Drop a loan for a while) (Not me.) So, a nicer price.

Is it a little weird that S/N is specified against 10% THD. Also the input impedance specified at 1KΩ, very low for a line in; maybe a typo?

Their page along with their customary 'word salad' description (it doesn't have three gain stages, it has three gain settings) :

https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-one-linear-amplifier/details#details

Its been said here and elsewhere when it was first announced, the price makes little sense at $199. At $150 I could see some going for it. But for only $100 more for the XLR 789 version (assuming single ended performance on this isnt significantly better than that) is a no brainer to me.

Hemi-Demon

March 2021 lead time. This is a waste of time talking about it now. Asgard 3 is here now. The Topping L30 will probably be released way before this.

3125b

Major Contributor
I saw that too, thought it would be interesting, 149$ didn't look too bad - but coming in March 2021, it's just too late to the market. Especially, if it's gonna cost 199$ when it's actually available.

OP
A

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Its been said here and elsewhere when it was first announced, the price makes little sense at $199. At $150 I could see some going for it. But for only $100 more for the XLR 789 version (assuming single ended performance on this isnt significantly better than that) is a no brainer to me.

On the other hand, not paying an extra $100 for inputs/outputs they will never use might be appealing to someone else. Seems like it's at least 'in the hunt' for its price point.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand, not paying an extra $100 for inputs/outputs they will never use might be appealing to someone else. Seems like it's at least 'in the hunt' for its price point.

Fair point. $100 gets you bare bones but good (Atom, Heresy etc). $200 gets you Geshelli Archel 2.5 (XLR inputs), Asgard 3 (massive power) so I suppose if the pre amp is great, its around the right price.

sherm137

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone buys any amp other than the Atom. I have yet to find a headphone it can't drive. I've used HD800, Verum 1, DT880 600ohm, Argon mk3, T20RP, Sundaras, Elex, LCD-X, Eikon, Auteur, 400i, K712. It power all of them with headroom.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone buys any amp other than the Atom. I have yet to find a headphone it can't drive. I've used HD800, Verum 1, DT880 600ohm, Argon mk3, T20RP, Sundaras, Elex, LCD-X, Eikon, Auteur, 400i, K712. It power all of them with headroom.

Well...I like the metal case of the Heresy better myself, so that's one thing. :)

Top Bottom