• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Most DACs require it for the handshaking. There can actually be compatibility and reconnect issues otherwise, that's why it's so rare.

zskyper

D90 MQA loud pop on change from DSD to PCM on linux/alsa platfom (including all hardware using unix/linux like streamer and network integrated-amp) is not fixed with the latest v1.24... too bad.

Dclone

so if i'm not using mqa dac hardware, on tidal hi res, i only can reach 24/96
but if i have mqa dac the tidal can reach 24/192
am i right?

so basiclly D90 standard and MQA Version
if play spotify/apple = will got the same results? although 32bit or 24bit..

anyway is that true d90 standard have 32bit and mqa version limit to 24bit ?
are there any technical downsides to the MQA version of the D90 compared to the regular version ?

0,25 meter rca to rca topping with 26$
1meter xlr cables with 5$
0,5meter xlr cables with 54$
1meter xlr cables with 56$
which one should i buy?

1meter vs 0,5meter is it matters? or same quality result?
it's a little hard to find cheaper 0,5meter xlr, they usually sell 1meter minimum
I have not heard any difference in sound when using different length of cables ( my longest i 3 m and the shortest 0,25 m) I hear difference between xlr and rca and from shielded and mon shielded cables. I think xlr have a higher output which explains the difference between xlr and rca. I use xlr for a lot of reasons. Primarily because of the safer, more stabile connectors.

jason.voegele

I have not heard any difference in sound when using different length of cables ( my longest i 3 m and the shortest 0,25 m) I hear difference between xlr and rca and from shielded and mon shielded cables. I think xlr have a higher output which explains the difference between xlr and rca. I use xlr for a lot of reasons. Primarily because of the safer, more stabile connectors.

Yes, XLR on the D90 outputs 4 volts, whereas RCA outputs only 2 volts. This is very noticeable when listening on headphones with a connected headphone amp.

I almost wish there were a way to reduce the XLR output power, since that high level of power makes it uncomfortably loud when using sensitive IEMs so I have to resort to digital volume attenuation. I suppose I could switch to using RCA outputs, but my understanding is that there is more noise on RCA. I could be wrong about that, though.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping has released (7-1-2020) a new firmware for the D90 MQA (only, not std. D90) v_1.24
This firmware release brings 32-bit support to the D90 MQA in its USB input (it previously maxed out at 24-bits). The std. D90 already had this. The problem had something to do with the MQA libraries only supporting 24-bit.

Another bonus, Topping has added Mac support for the driver upgrades. It was a simple d/l of 4.1MB, running an .app, selecting a .bin and then updating. Took all of 2 minutes. One issue, the installer did not run in Mac Catalina OSX. I had to install from another Mac running the earlier OS.

After installing I confirmed 32-bit support in both the Mac Midi settings and from the BitPerfect app (shows DAC max as 32/768).
I am very pleased to see Topping continuing support of their products and releasing firmware updates as needed. The new f/w can be found here:
http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/396959.html
Thanks for the update! I just updated the firmware of my D90 MQA and I now see 32 bit support! It worked fine on Catalina 10.15.5, no issues there, I just had to browse back to the downloaded folder to find the .bin for the installer.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.16.19 AM.png

burma

Thanks for the update! I just updated the firmware of my D90 MQA and I now see 32 bit support! It worked fine on Catalina 10.15.5, no issues there, I just had to browse back to the downloaded folder to find the .bin for the installer.

View attachment 71622

I did the update myself as well this morning. I just got the unit yesterday, so was timely! One quick question. Why is there no 16bit option? Does the D90 upsample all incoming 16bit to 24 or 32 depending on what you choose (if using Audio MIDI on macOS) or what programs like Tidal or Qobuz set when in exclusive mode?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I did the update myself as well this morning. I just got the unit yesterday, so was timely! One quick question. Why is there no 16bit option? Does the D90 upsample all incoming 16bit to 24 or 32 depending on what you choose (if using Audio MIDI on macOS) or what programs like Tidal or Qobuz set when in exclusive mode?
Tidal always set it to the highest bit depth and changes the sampling rate according to the track.

burma

Tidal always set it to the highest bit depth and changes the sampling rate according to the track.

Yeah, that's what I assume it does in "hog" or "exclusive mode", but I'm asking a more general question. For example, in your screenshot, from the Audio MIDI program on macOS, it shows no 16bit option (for me as well after updating to 1.24). And my question is why not? What is it doing? Is macOS upsampling to 24 or 32bit (based on what is chosen in Audio MIDI setup)? Is the D90 upsampling?

ElNino

Yeah, that's what I assume it does in "hog" or "exclusive mode", but I'm asking a more general question. For example, in your screenshot, from the Audio MIDI program on macOS, it shows no 16bit option (for me as well after updating to 1.24). And my question is why not? What is it doing? Is macOS upsampling to 24 or 32bit (based on what is chosen in Audio MIDI setup)? Is the D90 upsampling?

Assuming there's no software volume control in the CoreAudio chain, macOS just pads the low-order bits with zeroes. The actual 16-bit data is unchanged apart from the zero padding. Internally, the AK4499's digital filter coefficients don't change regardless of the input bit depth (nor should they).

burma

Assuming there's no software volume control in the CoreAudio chain, macOS just pads the low-order bits with zeroes. The actual 16-bit data is unchanged apart from the zero padding. Internally, the AK4499's digital filter coefficients don't change regardless of the input bit depth (nor should they).

Makes sense. Just strange that macOS would not show the 16bit options as well..

Shoaibexpert

Also don't buy audioquest cables or other bullshit expensive-fancypants brands.
I agree...but let me share what may happen otherwise. I bought some super shielded dual ferrite ringed cable from Ali Express (AuCharm) and what I noticed was that it seemed to take away the details when compared even to my default cheap cable that came with the DAC (M500).

What I realized is that there are certain basic compatibility requirements for USB 2.0 cables which these cheap manufacturers seem to not care about. Brands like AQ take care about these things...granted their most basic USB cable would hardly sound any different from their most expensive offerings. Eventually I settled for a used AQ Forest cable that had silver plating...what I feel is the best bang for the buck! No need to spend more...Ever!

UCrazyKid

I agree...but let me share what may happen otherwise. I bought some super shielded dual ferrite ringed cable from Ali Express (AuCharm) and what I noticed was that it seemed to take away the details when compared even to my default cheap cable that came with the DAC (M500).

What I realized is that there are certain basic compatibility requirements for USB 2.0 cables which these cheap manufacturers seem to not care about. Brands like AQ take care about these things...granted their most basic USB cable would hardly sound any different from their most expensive offerings. Eventually I settled for a used AQ Forest cable that had silver plating...what I feel is the best bang for the buck! No need to spend more...Ever!
Go no frills cables built with science backed materials. www.bluejeanscable.com

UCrazyKid

fendy323

hii i have a basic question,
1. if d90 can drive speaker so well, why people buy pre90 in the future?
2. how to connect d90 to android type c / ipad type c?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

Ferrites are not great IME. The only audiophile cable brand I buy from is Supra.

i have a simple question guys.. i dont know how to enable * dac mode * in the manual , these is preamp mode and dacmode , ( line out mode settings) i have a * line out* button on the controller but when i press it it does nothing , and on the manual it says * invalid button * for that button .. how do i activate dac mode? thx :) apart from that , i must say i absolutly love it , had the dacmagic100 before and it was kind of harsh , now its smoother and yet more detailed in a way :) already liked my hd800s but now i LOVE them , feels good to listen to the music instead of the sound now.

Last edited:

burma

Topping has released (7-1-2020) a new firmware for the D90 MQA (only, not std. D90) v_1.24
This firmware release brings 32-bit support to the D90 MQA in its USB input (it previously maxed out at 24-bits). The std. D90 already had this. The problem had something to do with the MQA libraries only supporting 24-bit.

Another bonus, Topping has added Mac support for the driver upgrades. It was a simple d/l of 4.1MB, running an .app, selecting a .bin and then updating. Took all of 2 minutes. One issue, the installer did not run in Mac Catalina OSX. I had to install from another Mac running the earlier OS.

After installing I confirmed 32-bit support in both the Mac Midi settings and from the BitPerfect app (shows DAC max as 32/768).
I am very pleased to see Topping continuing support of their products and releasing firmware updates as needed. The new f/w can be found here:
http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/396959.html

On macOS Catalina you may need to manually change the app’s permissions to executable. It’s what happened to me.

Top Bottom