• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

maty

Major Contributor
Just set up a new pair of these speakers. Qobuz via Sonos Port into Anthem STR preamp, AHB2 amp in stereo. When I ran ARC I noticed that the levels were set at +12 db for both channels. I have never seen any levels set this high and was wondering if anyone could help me understand why. I normally run 8 ohm speakers with a minimum of 225 watts/channel so I'm guessing that these little guys need more power (spec is 6 ohms). Would it have anything to do with the relatively low power output of the AHB? I guess I'm fishing for an excuse to buy another one. They are so damn cute you almost have to buy two ;) And btw these speakers sound superb, THANK YOU Amir, never would have bought them without your review.

index.php

[ However, note the area I have circled. Impedance is high at about 8 ohms but the phase angle is quite acute at nearly 50 degrees. This means the speaker will ask for current when the output voltage is very low. So you better have a beefy amplifier to drive this speaker. ]

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/elac-debut-reference-bookshelf-dbr62-review/

[ Should you buy it?

The Elac Debut Reference DBR62 is a refined speaker with elegant cosmetics and a winning sound. While it's not the best with slamming rock or dance, it offers folk and jazz fans a sweet-natured performance. It's also surprisingly good with movies.

Speaker buyers looking for maximum value should to consider the cheaper Elac models first, particularly the Debut 2.0, the Elac Debut Reference is a charming speaker which will slot in readily into most stereo or AV systems. ]

@Bombadill, Which kind of recordings?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

[ Should you buy it?

The Elac Debut Reference DBR62 is a refined speaker with elegant cosmetics and a winning sound. While it's not the best with slamming rock or dance, it offers folk and jazz fans a sweet-natured performance. It's also surprisingly good with movies.

Speaker buyers looking for maximum value should to consider the cheaper Elac models first, particularly the Debut 2.0, the Elac Debut Reference is a charming speaker which will slot in readily into most stereo or AV systems. ]

Basically, this is saying that the DBR62 shine with good recordings and will not be forgiving with bad/overcompressed "slamming rock or dance" ones.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

[ Should you buy it?

pretty meaningless.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@renaudrenaud , what was the amp power by channel when we listened to the DBR62 last saturday please? I don't remember.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

[ Should you buy it?

I would not put much weight if any on that review. The speaker does a great job of walking the line between articulate and warm, with a slight edge to warm. I listen to 80% classic rock and it sounds fantastic with good recordings, regardless of genre.

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
index.php

[ However, note the area I have circled. Impedance is high at about 8 ohms but the phase angle is quite acute at nearly 50 degrees. This means the speaker will ask for current when the output voltage is very low. So you better have a beefy amplifier to drive this speaker. ]

thanks, I did see that comment although beefy is a bit nonspecific. ELAC states a max of 120 watts on the back of the speaker but I suspect that doesn't mean much. I imagine Amir drove them with his 1000 watt amp. I don't have a lot of time with the AHB but my guess is it has the reserves for these speakers, although I'd never dispute the "never too much power" argument. And like I said, a pair of AHBs looks awesome :)

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Last edited:

panther

How is this speaker as a near field speaker and with gaming if anyone has some experience with it in that capacity?

BN1

New to the forum, just binge-read the Elac Uni-Fi UB5 info and then the Elac Debut Ref info. I like the approach Elac has taken with the Debut series, start with decent drivers and continuously improve the speaker, ie the debut 2.0 and then the Reference. Interestingly, GR Research recently did an upgrade to the 2.0 and came up with similar changes that Elac introduced with the Debut Ref (eg improved cross-over, improve the box, improve the woofer frame) although GR insists that they use better c/o components than the Reference. I'm hoping that Elac takes a similar approach to the Uni-Fi series which Amir shows has some significant shortfalls. With my old ears and damaged hearing I need an upgrade from my Elac Debuts 2.0 (BS5.2) and looking at both the Reference series and the Uni-Fi but now the Uni-Fi will definitely need an upgrade before I consider them.

cavedriver

I've read virtually all the reviews on here, and the other dbr62 reviews. I just finished 3 weeks of testing the following speakers:
- Debut Reference dbr62,
- Debut 2.0 b6.2
- Pioneer bs22
- Dali Oberon 1
- Monitor Bronze 2
- Jamo S803
- Micca RB42
Most performed similarly to the available reviews. None made me happy. The only ones I kept are the Pioneer's because I'm going to do the Dennis Murphy mod on them and use them as rears. The Micca's were definitely better to me than Amirn's testing suggested. Amazing bass extension and power, granted poor bass accuracy, highs are very bright, but depending on the recording they worked well in some cases, no imaging, but for $150 and tiny size they were ok. Would like to see Amirm review the Dali and Monitor speakers, along with some Wharfedales.

But the real mystery was the Debut References. I really wanted to love these speakers. The bass is awesome at this price, and probably across almost any price point since many higher-end bookshelf speakers seem designed to roll off 10-15 Hz higher to protect sound quality. Let me say it again, the base is detailed, "full", and plays deep with seemingly no effort. You can crank these speakers. But those tweeters, wtf? I can not get past a fatal flaw I feel they have. I can only describe it as if you are listening to content in the 2-3k Hz range like it's coming to you through a "short tunnel", like its both slightly muted and also recessed back into the speaker a little. This isn't just that it's monitor-flat and I'm craving some kind of a "bump". It's so obvious in content like Page's high notes in Whole Lot of Love, and Hendrix's guitar high notes in Voodoo Child that it bothers me the moment I turn them on. To some degree I can overcome it by cranking the speakers, which also happens to make them sound really fun- they like to play loud, but it's still there. They also don't play quietly terribly well because of this problem, my much more efficient vintage Snell's retain detail at whisper volumes much better. I tried them with and without the little metal screens (they actually have tiny pegs and are meant to be removable) and there was little difference. It seems like some kind of phase coherence thing or something? I'm not an audio technician so I'm just throwing that out there. Does anyone else who has heard these know what I'm talking about? The bass and overall price and packaging is good enough that I'm tempted to replace the tweeters and redo the crossover. Vifa D27 tweeters are only $25 each, but I need the know-how to modify the crossover.

Colonel7

I've read virtually all the reviews on here, and the other dbr62 reviews. I just finished 3 weeks of testing the following speakers:
- Debut Reference dbr62,
- Debut 2.0 b6.2
- Pioneer bs22
- Dali Oberon 1
- Monitor Bronze 2
- Jamo S803
- Micca RB42
Most performed similarly to the available reviews. None made me happy. The only ones I kept are the Pioneer's because I'm going to do the Dennis Murphy mod on them and use them as rears. The Micca's were definitely better to me than Amirn's testing suggested. Amazing bass extension and power, granted poor bass accuracy, highs are very bright, but depending on the recording they worked well in some cases, no imaging, but for $150 and tiny size they were ok. Would like to see Amirm review the Dali and Monitor speakers, along with some Wharfedales.

But the real mystery was the Debut References. I really wanted to love these speakers. The bass is awesome at this price, and probably across almost any price point since many higher-end bookshelf speakers seem designed to roll off 10-15 Hz higher to protect sound quality. Let me say it again, the base is detailed, "full", and plays deep with seemingly no effort. You can crank these speakers. But those tweeters, wtf? I can not get past a fatal flaw I feel they have. I can only describe it as if you are listening to content in the 2-3k Hz range like it's coming to you through a "short tunnel", like its both slightly muted and also recessed back into the speaker a little. This isn't just that it's monitor-flat and I'm craving some kind of a "bump". It's so obvious in content like Page's high notes in Whole Lot of Love, and Hendrix's guitar high notes in Voodoo Child that it bothers me the moment I turn them on. To some degree I can overcome it by cranking the speakers, which also happens to make them sound really fun- they like to play loud, but it's still there. They also don't play quietly terribly well because of this problem, my much more efficient vintage Snell's retain detail at whisper volumes much better. I tried them with and without the little metal screens (they actually have tiny pegs and are meant to be removable) and there was little difference. It seems like some kind of phase coherence thing or something? I'm not an audio technician so I'm just throwing that out there. Does anyone else who has heard these know what I'm talking about? The bass and overall price and packaging is good enough that I'm tempted to replace the tweeters and redo the crossover. Vifa D27 tweeters are only $25 each, but I need the know-how to modify the crossover.
Did you try and listen to the DBRs with the grilles on or off? Check out post #422 in this thread for a member whose tweeter sound was off and how he and his wife solved the issue

cavedriver

bboris77

How is this speaker as a near field speaker and with gaming if anyone has some experience with it in that capacity?
I’m getting these on Monday and will be using them as nearfield monitors. I’ll post my impressions. I’m coming from the Klipsch R-15M which are very dynamic and aggressive so it may take me a bit to adjust.

I’m debating whether to keep the cloth grilles on as I really like the look. They seem fairly acoustically transparent but would be awesome to have some measurements.

cavedriver

Did you try and listen to the DBRs with the grilles on or off? Check out post #422 in this thread for a member whose tweeter sound was off and how he and his wife solved the issue
Ok, thanks for pointing out that post. I admit I haven't read the whole thread. Yes, I also discovered the grills were removable, but as I said when I tried the speakers without the grills it did not fix the problem, although it might have made it a teency bit better. If the problem is with the dip in the output only, I could replace the crossover circuits with a DSP setup. I gathered that maybe the other posters were thinking of doing that. But if the issue is with the physical position of the tweeter in the cabinet, or the diffraction plate around the tweeter dome, then the easier fix would be a whole new tweeter and plate. Unfortunately I no longer have the speakers to experiment on, but iirc the current plate has a cutout diameter that is less than the common size of 104 mm so some customization of an available tweeter would be necessary. I do hope someone comes up with something.

bboris77

Here is my new desktop configuration with these speakers.
I just plugged them and the seem very natural sounding. A small degree of toe in helped form a nice phantom center. They are much less sensitive to being placed close to a wall compared to rear ported speakers. In direct comparison to the Klipsch R-15m these have a much larger sweet spot and the image does not change as abruptly when moving closer or further away from them.

So far, I really like them for desktop use. I’m keeping the grilles on because I love the way they look and to keep the little fingers out of the woofer dust cups.

By the way, the bass is not overpowering or boomy at all. I can hear it all the way in the low 30Hz and it is usable in the 40Hz region. It is a very balanced speaker. I’m boosting the 20-50hz with a subwoofer mainly for gaming. For 90% of music, this speaker should be sufficient.

Attachments

• 05016044-5180-4177-A41F-5BD902943EA0.jpeg
    05016044-5180-4177-A41F-5BD902943EA0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 640

REK2575

I just ordered a pair of these as well on the strength of Amir's review -- plus I really like their look -- will definitely keep the grilles on.

raindance

Major Contributor
Just set up a new pair of these speakers. Qobuz via Sonos Port into Anthem STR preamp, AHB2 amp in stereo. When I ran ARC I noticed that the levels were set at +12 db for both channels. I have never seen any levels set this high and was wondering if anyone could help me understand why. I normally run 8 ohm speakers with a minimum of 225 watts/channel so I'm guessing that these little guys need more power (spec is 6 ohms). Would it have anything to do with the relatively low power output of the AHB? I guess I'm fishing for an excuse to buy another one. They are so damn cute you almost have to buy two ;) And btw these speakers sound superb, THANK YOU Amir, never would have bought them without your review.
Sounds like your AHB2 input sensitivity is set wrong.

Reactions: wje

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just gonna throw this out there...

I ordered the set that Amir tested (the white ones, in this very thread). I planned to keep and use them as my baseline but I really need the money to help me pay for some other things at the moment. If anyone is interested, shoot me a message.

Top Bottom